Developers - do you still support iPhone 3GS?

Appvism

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm just wondering for you iOS developers here, when you build an app, do you still support iPhone 3GS and create the relevant graphic assets for it (in the appropriate size)? Or do you consider iPhone 4 to be the minimum device to support now?

For the record, i tend to build universal apps and still support the 3GS but I am now thinking of dropping this.

Of course, creating retina graphics assets for the iPad Retina take up most space!.. But if i do drop the iPhone 3GS, then it'll at least lessen the total file size a tiny bit...

Interested in hearing your thoughts!

Thanks,

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
At this point it's for the iOS version, rather than the device. Since retina graphics don't look bad on the 3GS, and the 4S and 3GS are the same sizes as far as screen, unlike the 5. So it's really only the os, not the device.

Ben Parks

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
The short answer is yes - and it's more that I'm adding assets for 3.5 inch non-retina devices. It wouldn't save me a lot to not support it - so I might as well.

The biggest problem for me is iPad retina - I split my app into two for exactly this reason. We have full screen background graphics in our app with a lot of detail which make it massive. I didn't want to include all of the this in the iPhone version as it takes up the majority of the size and is never be seen by the user!