How did you start Obj C programming?

pizzafootbal

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
So, I want to get into iOS development, and I was wondering how you got into it! Recommended books, online resources, etc would be nice!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm getting in to Webworks myself, but I found webinar and web based tutorials to be my best resource. :)

forgot

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I know I'm way late to the party,but I adopted a pile of gently used Objective-C books from a friend, and just started working my way through them. If you want some great tutorials to go through, take a look at iPhone Tutorials . I keep it bookmarked, and refer back to it often. There's so much to learn, and as new versions of iOS come out, different things are added or depreciated.

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
The Stanford University class on iTunesU would be a good place to start.

I agree with this. I quite like the CS193 course on iTunes.

My start was I was working in film special effects software and a couple of colleagues introduced me to NeXTSTEP and Objective-C (as well as AmigaOS and Intuition) in the early 1990s, I didn't appreciate it for what is was at the time, I was a C++ Silicon Graphics guy at the time. When OS-X came out around the turn of the millenium, I tried to get back into it but it still didn't quite stick.

I got a much much earlier version of this book... Amazon - Programming in Objective-C (5th Edition) (Developer's Library): Stephen G. Kochan: 9780321887283: Amazon.com: Books )

Publication Date: December 14, 2012 | ISBN-10: 032188728X | ISBN-13: 978-0321887283 | Edition: 5
Programming in Objective-C, Fifth Edition
Updated for OS X Mountain Lion, iOS 6, and Xcode 4.5

After a while I fell in love with Objective-C and the related object model (coming from more than a decade of C++), I got so bored doing C++ poker machine code on embedded Linux I grabbed everything I could find on Objective-C, several books, every web site on anything google came up with... I started playing around with Objective-C code on Linux with gcc. Created huge class libraries and elaborate data structures etc... Googling around constantly on Objective-C features and following every Objective-C tag on stack overflow...

When I worked somewhere that also had an iPhone code base, I delved into the code and pulled it a part and tried to figure out why the developers did things in a certain way and finally after getting canned one time... I took a few months off and got up every morning went to code like it was a job, churning out app after app, I didn't even seriously look for another job until the following year.

Now, I have an Objective-C job and a fairly large corporate code base to dig around in.. ;-)

R.

Kidelia

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

In addition to great books and blogs, you can also find a lot of Obj-C video tutorials posted on Youtube, from beginners to expert levels, simply use the search engine.

Regards

Dchen05

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Stackoverflow was my #1 resource.

But I will say out of all programing languages I know (PHP, C#, Java, Javascript) Objective-C was the hardest for me to learn.

I think Apple's imposed structure can be confusing at first, but my advice is to go through some tutorials. Pick a simple app you wan to make and google how to make the different features. Usually there are tutorials and sample code out there for everything you could want to do. Your job is then to just piece it all together and eventually it will all make sense

Good luck!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen