App Marketing Ideas?

Prospectus

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I have my first app in the app store now, but it is almost invisible with all the apps out there. I've tried all the social networking, sent a brief notice to some gadget/tech blogs that cover things like this, but so far nothing much. What do you other developers do to market your apps?

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I have my first app in the app store now, but it is almost invisible with all the apps out there. I've tried all the social networking, sent a brief notice to some gadget/tech blogs that cover things like this, but so far nothing much. What do you other developers do to market your apps?

Social Networks is the best free method.

Put out vids on YouTube of the app being used. Like a 'screenshot' of sorts, except a video. Start a twitter page for your app. Follow as many iphone/app products as possible, request to follow their followers. Tweet regularly. Start a facebook fan page for your app. Ask all your friends to 'like' the app.

You can't just have it visible on social networks, you have to actively tweet and post comments.

Perhaps it would help to tell us what your app is named so we can check it out ;-)

Also, why not put out a free version with advertisements and paid version without advertisements.

Prospectus

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
That's a good idea to make it's own facebook page. I haven't wanted to annoy my friends by announcing it all the time.

It is a free app, with an in app upgrade for more features. Everyone I talk to in person or show the app to loves it. I think it just needs to get some exposure somehow, and finding that big breakthrough is the hard part.

Since you asked, it's called "MoonJump".

njin

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

In fact web review + social network seems to be the good solution.

Search "9 Places To Publicize Your iPhone App" in Google for good website to get review of your app.

Don't forget to share with us any useful link :)

SyGem

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that link - I've always struggled to get my products reviewed on sites like these. Maybe I'll send out some more requests this week...

Hi,

In fact web review + social network seems to be the good solution.

Search "9 Places To Publicize Your iPhone App" in Google for good website to get review of your app.

Don't forget to share with us any useful link :)

Mad Pig Games

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that link - I've always struggled to get my products reviewed on sites like these. Maybe I'll send out some more requests this week...

Sounds like you're in the same boat we are. We have our first game out (Mad Pig Klondike Solitaire), and everyone that plays it finds it fun and addicting. The hard thing is getting it in front of lots of people.

What other people have suggested is what we're doing, but it will likely take time to gain traction (at least ours will). We're just 2 guys, both with full-time day-jobs, so it's hard to find time to devote to PR and Marketing.

Keep at it! :) If it's a good app/game, people will notice and it'll do well. *fingers crossed*

SyGem

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you're in the same boat we are. We have our first game out (Mad Pig Klondike Solitaire), and everyone that plays it finds it fun and addicting. The hard thing is getting it in front of lots of people.

What other people have suggested is what we're doing, but it will likely take time to gain traction (at least ours will). We're just 2 guys, both with full-time day-jobs, so it's hard to find time to devote to PR and Marketing.

Keep at it! :) If it's a good app/game, people will notice and it'll do well. *fingers crossed*

2 guys? Then you're twice the company I am :D I'm going to splash out on getting a press release written by prmac.com for the paid version of my next game. I'll try to report back here with any conclusions.

Mad Pig Games

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
2 guys? Then you're twice the company I am :D I'm going to splash out on getting a press release written by prmac.com for the paid version of my next game. I'll try to report back here with any conclusions.

lol Yes, 2 of us. Good luck! Keep us all posted how it goes.

tringkamp

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Put it on my site

If you want to you can write a little bit about it and put it up on my website. Im starting to get some decent traffic. The website is free iphone 4 apps dot com. No charge to you. Im just trying to get more content. thanks Todd

Reactions: DoodleDudeDan

Corey Sauve

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
heres a link to a google doc I use. It has a bunch of sites listed in order of who gets the most traffic. Also has email addresses you can contact or weblinks to the appropriate site to share your app

https:// docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CLWGyl4&key=0AgFOHSGtWeVxdFJ5dnh1N0RSMy15QlREclVWSVhjVVE&hl=sv&authkey=CLWGyl4#gid=0

be sure to delete the space before "docs.go......."
I had to add the space to post the link-not enough posts yet:confused:

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
heres a link to a google doc I use. It has a bunch of sites listed in order of who gets the most traffic. Also has email addresses you can contact or weblinks to the appropriate site to share your app

https:// docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CLWGyl4&key=0AgFOHSGtWeVxdFJ5dnh1N0RSMy15QlREclVWSVhjVVE&hl=sv&authkey=CLWGyl4#gid=0

You are my new hero for 2011, my friend.

I just wanted you to know it! :D

Thank you so much for sharing this treasure with all of us.

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

Never get discouraged by feeling too little... even Google itself started with two 17 year old kids who had a brilliant idea!

mOOncOw interactive

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Nice Spreadsheet!

Looks similar to mine :).

@Prospectus: You should also make sure your links are working - Your link to the company website in iTunes is empty, and the support website links to your weblog without any hint of your app. Small things, but you should get them right.

DoodleDudeDan

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I too am a 1 man shop (OK my wife designed some of the screens so I guess it's a 1 couple shop) :)

I've done most of the "standard wisdom" ideas except for the prmac.com press release. I'd *really* like to hear back from other devs on whether they saw enough bump from this to justify the cost! I've been waiting for both versions of my App, Puffer's Train Challenge (Full & Lite), to get enough rating in the App Store and they have now. I'll be holding off on prmac for a day or two in hopes of hearing some real world experiences from other "indie" devs as to whether it made a real difference.

Thanks!

DoodleDudeDan

Fast Car Zone

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Thanks very much! I've been struggling through a lot of the review sites to find the right contact details. You have just saved me loads of time! ^.^

KPL_Studios

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot Corey for your document!

We also have the same issue to get noticed on the AppStore. We are trying a lot of options, including paid banners, getting reviews and a few other social marketing options (twitter, Facebook, forums where allowed).

If you are into twitter, you should try the IDRTG group.(wwwDOTinnovattyDOTcom /twitter/IDRTG ) Lot of devs are there to help each other.

Btw, if you wanna give a shot at our app, it is called The Movie searchOmeter and it is free :D

RogerHouston

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

1. Brainstorm where people who would use your app are and basically who they are. If you can't answer these questions you would really have a hard time to come up with a promotional plan
  2. It's impossible to market an app for free, you need certain budget
  3. Re-think your app's keyword list, make sure you use only relevant keywords. Use Google Adwords Keywords Tool to come up with new ideas