Learning to Code for iOS apps

crovax85

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I have some background in Java and C but I have not touched those skills in years and i've forgotten most of it. I mainly do website design and coding now.

I've been looking around at various books to learn how to program iOS apps. BUt i am confused as to what i should get.

What do I really need to get started?? Any Suggestions?

Thanks

HuaxuCC

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
you should get familiar with objective c first, there are some basic documents on apple's website:

Please put h t t p : / / before the link.

developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ObjectiveC/Introduction/introObjectiveC.html

developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ObjCRuntimeGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html

developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ObjCRuntimeRef/Reference/reference.html

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
How serious are you about learning? I would suggest just putting down the Apple Dev fee, downloading Xcode, and start messing with the Xcode examples.

The usual...hello world...and then so on. For me, I learn while doing and jumping right into the code was what worked for me.

AppsCyclone

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Create an account on developer.apple.com/iphone/
There are a lot of useful documentation and sample code.
You may want to try the UICatalog sample first :)

LiquidZed

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Work your way through the Stanford CS193P classes on iTunes U. It is the absolute best way to learn iOS programming. Free too.

I agree with the learning from the Stanford course. Then just dive in and try to make a simple Application that can be built upon and just do lots and lots of google searches.

iPadJay

Mar 4, 2011
www.gamesontheipad.com
If you are good at website design and coding check out PhoneGap. It's a framework based in html+Javascript that gets ported to each mobile device. So you only write the code once and you can port it to multiple devices

If you can write a website you can make an app. It is fairly easy to set up and get running.

jtanko78

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Advice

I have never worked with c or writing code. The closest thing ive done is self taught with excel visual basic for some macro stuff. If I was to go through and read intro to objective c as well as use resources from the ios dev center, is there enough info to learn how to develop an app? Or is there some things a person would still need to take a course in to finalize the application? Also, do i need a mac to write the apps or can this be done on a windows pc? Thanks in advance.

flyrobdog

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I recommend you pay the $99, get the dev account, get xcode..

and read and follow along with this book

BIG NERD RANCH - Iphone Programming...

Takes you through it all...

hotpaw2

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have never worked with c or writing code.

First, take any intro programming class you can find (local college, adult school, online, etc.) Some people can do it. Some can't, or give up after a year.

If you can learn enough to pass a programming class (preferably in C or C++), you might be able to learn enough more to code some simple iOS apps in another 2 to 6 months (or faster if you are well above average in talent).

tengence

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
1. You need to have a dev account and you can download xcode 4.1 from the mac app store for free.
2. You can look through the documentation, but unless you are used to scanning through it or have seen UI coding you might want to invest in a good book. I can suggest one but I am not going to post it here so I am not advertising someone elses product.
3. Once you begin join a forum for help and questions cause you will probably have alot of them. But its fun as hell for me to learn this stuff.

Wish you luck and I am new as well and thats the path I took. Hope it helps

FlopTech

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Agree with tengence. There are several sites that have very active Objective-C and Cocoa programming forums. Cocoabuilder has many in-depth discussions of Obj-C and Cocoa. Of course, the Apple developer site also does (and requires registration as a developer.) And for some more basic questions there's StackOverflow. (Not sure about the rules for posting links, so I omitted them. But these sites are very well-known and easy to find...)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods