Hi, I've been contracted by a pretty big iPhone development company to design a video editing application on iPhone and iPad. The iPad version is pretty much complete design-wise, and the iPhone version is almost done but I have a little conundrum...

I can't show a screenshot of the application for confidentiality reasons, but basically my problem is that we have 3 windows that are essential to be shown - The preview, the timeline, and the media collection - at certain points within the app. The problem is that if you try to show all 3, the media section is too small to contain the necessary section tabs and options without making the preview too tiny to execute a multitouch crop or show a preview of the media. If it makes the timeline disappear, well then you can't drag it into the timeline can you.

I need a solution where I would be able to have the media (and effects, transitions, titles menus - the 4 are in a section) available while still showing the preview and the timeline. Please let me know if you can think of anything, it would be greatly appreciated.
    04-24-2010 08:08 PM
    Have you looked at examples of other Apps doing the same as you? I'd just do lots of mock ups with photoshop and see what looks best.
    04-30-2010 12:56 PM
    I'd suggest the preview of the video fill the whole screen. Double tap it to play / pause. When you single-tap the screen, the UI would toggle on/off, semi-transparent, with the timeline and any nav buttons that are needed.

Could even scale the preview down when the UI is visible.

It seems like the media collection can be a separate view (a UITableView I'd assume), that slides in when you tap a button. Then you select the media, and it gets added to the timeline, where it can be adjusted.
    06-21-2010 11:51 PM
    Check out the documentation on apples website
    06-27-2010 10:34 PM
    I am think so
    07-08-2010 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD