How stable is the 4.0 OS? able to put it on a phone used day to day yet?

also, can it be downgraded to 3.1.3?

i AM willing to see a few hiccups, but not willing to have a non functional phone just to test out the new features. lemme know what you think, for those with 4.0 beta already...
    04-10-2010 02:48 PM
    bad idea, no apps are even ready for 4.0 so that means no multi-tasking, and if your not a developer i wouldnt recommend it
    04-10-2010 03:16 PM
    Well. I am currently a dev and running it and have noticed very few bugs and experienced no crashes or locking. As far downgrading it is possible. Here are the steps required to downgrade

To downgrade from 4.0 beta to 3.1.3. (since I did not save my SHSH files)I was able to restore by going to DFU mode and restoring the old firmware using the new ITunes 9.2, The restore fails half way when it tries to downgrade the baseband (which we know does not work). After the restore fails, it puts your phone on the recovery mode loop, to get out of this, I just ran blackra1n when it was on the recovery mode screen, this led to the screen going blank. Keep the sleep/wake and home button pressed until apple logo shows up and it should take you to your home screen eventually.
    04-10-2010 07:43 PM
    itunes 9.2? is this right?
    04-10-2010 08:21 PM
    9.2 isn't a production version. I don't know what he's talking about.
    04-11-2010 09:08 PM
    I've heard that there's no going back (at least, not easily), but apart from the hiccups that I mentioned in the bugs thread, it's been fine for me as a daily-use device.

That said, some of your most frequently used apps might not be supported at all at the moment (for example, I had to download a different Twitter client because Echofon became totally unusable), but that's not really a big deal.
    04-12-2010 01:34 PM
    I was able to downgrade. 1st don't install this beta on a phone you use all the time. It's not even worth it. Lots of my apps won't run, my text messaging is all weird, my phone was doing weird things with the recent phone call list.

To downgrade you have to have a Mac. You have to download iRecovery and install libusb package.

Once you so an alt-restore in iTunes with the 3.1.3 ipsw it will crash with an error 1015.
    Then you open iRecovery and put in a bunch of commands to bring phone out of the loop it's in.
    Then reboot the phone and restore your phone from a backup.
    04-15-2010 02:43 PM
    How stable is the 4.0 OS? able to put it on a phone used day to day yet?

also, can it be downgraded to 3.1.3?

i AM willing to see a few hiccups, but not willing to have a non functional phone just to test out the new features. lemme know what you think, for those with 4.0 beta already...
    No one has seen 4.0. A few have seen 4.0b. This is enough to tell one that it is unstable but not enough to tell one that it is stable. 4.0b could work wonderfully for a few people and have problems that showl up for hundreds of thousands.

We can infer more about 4.0 from 1, 2, and 3.than from 4.0b. My recollection is that they were stable out of the gate.

As a rule, Apple does not provide a backward path. On the other hand, they fix problems and move forward quickly. If you are anxious, wait a while, With so many users, it will not take long for any problem to appear.
    04-15-2010 03:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD