Updating to 4.0 with a Mac, ERROR 13!

mattweimer

Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I am on a developers list. I have a 4.0 build. I use a Macbook Pro. I have a 3GS, but when I click option + restore and select the firmware it says...
" iphone server cannot be contacted at this time or is temp unavailable "

Has anyone ran into this issue? Thanks.

mattweimer

Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
A buggy beta build of course. I've attempted to develop but its above my head. I would still like to test out the beta and see how it works, quirks or not.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
A buggy beta build of course. I've attempted to develop but its above my head. I would still like to test out the beta and see how it works, quirks or not.

I would advise against if this is your only phone as you will be stuck with no current way of going back to a previous build...

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
I don't think installing the Beta of 4.0 is going to allow you to run Skype in the background. That's going to require a new 4.0-compatible version of Skype (to use the new VOIP multi-tasking API's) which won't be available until the official 4.0 release is here (and given Skype's track record with updates -* where's VOIP over 3G *- it might be much later than that). Same thing goes for any other app you want running in the background (Pandora, GPS, etc.). Even for the quick state saving that regular apps (e.g. some random game) are supposed to do when backgrounded, I think you need new versions, so wouldn't expect MT to work right even for those.

What I gathered from the keynote was that aside from apps using the special APIs (for VOIP, GPS, audio streaming), what would really happen when you MT is that each app would do a complete and total state save, then be terminated, then quickly relaunched with its state exactly restored when you flip back to it. So you "think" it's MT-ing and running in the background but it's really not. Kind of like hibernating a Windows PC. (I could be wrong about this though- I haven't had time to dig into the SDK's release notes yet.)

morgantm89

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Correct, the mulitasking is based on the app itself, its not a part of the OS directly. The developers have to set it up in the app. You just can't background anything you want.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Correct, the mulitasking is based on the app itself, its not a part of the OS directly. The developers have to set it up in the app. You just can't background anything you want.

Exactly, people need to be aware of things like this before jumping on a beta train. Front page post coming soon.

mattweimer

Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Fantastic. Well besides the muitasking the folders sound interesting aswell. Regardless instead of all these excuses as to why not to update anyone have this problem. I just want it for the sake of having it and testing it out. Pretty much it really.

mdntblu

May 17, 2009
www.lightmyworld.com
Fantastic. Well besides the muitasking the folders sound interesting aswell. Regardless instead of all these excuses as to why not to update anyone have this problem. I just want it for the sake of having it and testing it out. Pretty much it really.

It's not worth having. Trust me I am a developer and I reverted back to 3.1.3 because it was way too buggy. I let me sister have a copy under my dev account and her phone was restarting like every 10 min.
And I'm not going to tell you how to revert to 3.1.3 should you by chance put 4.0 on your phone and then be stuck with the buggyness.

Also I heard this year Apple is going to let beta's expire for a few days before releasing a new version just so people like you will be stuck without a phone for a few days.

Oh and just to be clear - Skype will not run in the background just because you load 4.0. NO APPS will run in the background because none of them have been released using the MT api under 4.0 (no pandora running, not texting while navigation app is running, not nothing). So the only benefit to upgrading to 4.0 is having folders and if you have a 3GS be able to put a background wallpaper on your homescreen. Can't say that it's worth it for those things.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
So the only benefit to upgrading to 4.0 is having folders and if you have a 3GS be able to put a background wallpaper on your homescreen. Can't say that it's worth it for those things.
Does this mean that the 3G running OS4 can't put a background wallpaper? Scratches head.

Satanic Goat

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
It's not worth having. Trust me I am a developer and I reverted back to 3.1.3 because it was way too buggy. I let me sister have a copy under my dev account and her phone was restarting like every 10 min.

Thats weird, I've been running OS 4 for 3 days now, and I haven't experienced any of the bugginess you have talked about. In fact I would go as far to say its a lot less buggy than the first few 3.0 Betas that surfaced. The only thing I have noticed is that Tweetie 2 has crashed on me a few times. I would even say my 3G signal has improved slightly.

I did however install via Xcode rather than iTunes, so that may be making a difference.

As for the folders, anyway else think they're ugly?

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Ermm. First off. As a developer.. anyone who knows anything about Beta builds knows a) don't use them on an everyday device... ever, and B) if you must use a beta.. the correct way to install it is via Xcode and not iTunes.