I'm trying to create a launcher that will simply got to a certain webpage. Ideally, I want to be able to give out the link that will allow iphone users to install this little launcher withouth the app store being involved. I mean basically, it's a glorified bookmark. I know this can be done from the iphone itself but like I said, I want to make something, I can host, give the link, and have people "install" on their iphone that will achieve this. Is it possible? I would have to think so as I've already done it for RIM.
    01-13-2010 05:30 PM
    Not unless you're going for a jailbreak app. Anything "installed" on the iPhone has to go through the App store.
    01-13-2010 09:25 PM
    what Alli said.

start here to learn more
    iPhone Dev Center - Apple Developer Connection
    01-14-2010 09:08 AM
    wow. no offense guys, but coming from the flip phone> treo > storm > android and never owning an iphone myself, I am baffled by this. I dunno how you guys live this way.

thank you for your replies by the way. least now I know what I have to do. very much appreciated.
    01-14-2010 10:32 AM
    I just realised this is build into the iphone. that's why your "app" idea doesn't make sense. this feature was advertised over 2 years ago. there's no launching, it's only user based

they press + and it has an "add to home screen" option. you setup a special variant of the favicon to display as the icon on their home screen.

all you end up needing to make is a special icon and you're done
    Last edited by flyingember; 01-18-2010 at 02:00 PM.
    01-18-2010 01:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD