I am new in IPhone apps development. Actually I have to estimate that how much time is required to develop IPhone App.

I don't know programing about objective C and Iphone development framework and also advise what will be the basic requirement, any tutorials and where i should get started.

What is the diff between IPhone App and normal website which is optimized for IPhone.

Please suggest. ............

I have been worked on .NET framework and C#
    01-09-2010 01:57 AM
    For a quality application be prepared to spend a lot of time. Technically you can toss together a app in no time but it would a pretty low end app. In iTunes they have some video podcasts from a Stanford class on creating iPhone applications.
    01-09-2010 03:33 PM
    For a quality application be prepared to spend a lot of time. Technically you can toss together a app in no time but it would a pretty low end app. In iTunes they have some video podcasts from a Stanford class on creating iPhone applications.
    thanks a lot for your help,

Could you suggest me where should i get started ?
    Please advice that there is license from apple is mandatory to develop IPhone App as a dummy project.
    01-13-2010 06:08 AM
    start here

iPhone Dev Center - Apple Developer Connection

if you know nothing about the development environment I would say you're looking at a couple hundred hours, minimum. you could spend a week just on analysis and design
    01-14-2010 09:06 AM
    I think 1-3 months is the ideal development lifecycle for an iPhone release. I'd say 5-6 is realistic if you're learning the platform at the same time.
    01-18-2010 01:37 AM
    Sure helps me value the apps that I have.
    01-18-2010 09:39 AM
    Sure helps me value the apps that I have.
    most people forget that good apps take more than just a week of programming

Like Facebook push. they had to make an entire server setup for millions of users to figure out who to push data to and then push it out.

compared to random "press a button and it makes a sound" which apps do you want on your phone?
    01-18-2010 01:52 PM
    most people forget that good apps take more than just a week of programming

Like Facebook push. they had to make an entire server setup for millions of users to figure out who to push data to and then push it out.

compared to random "press a button and it makes a sound" which apps do you want on your phone?
    For purposes of comparison and estimating, one should distinguish between those apps that are 1) self-contained on the iPhone, 2) those that exploit existing web services, 3) those that are part of a new service, and 4) those that sync to the PC or Mac. I have one or more in each category that I would really miss if they went away.
    01-18-2010 02:54 PM
    what i would like to know is how do developers of iPhone apps make money when their apps are free??
    01-18-2010 04:23 PM
    what i would like to know is how do developers of iPhone apps make money when their apps are free??
    Some sell ads. Some sell related services. Some develop the app to support an existing service. Some offer free "lite" apps to sell the "pro" version. Some do not make money.

Many airlines, insurance companies, banks, etc. offer free apps.
    01-18-2010 04:46 PM
    this is a good starting point to learn objective-c

cocoadevcentral.com
    01-20-2010 09:02 PM
    I am also think 1-3 months is the ideal development lifecycle for an iPhone release. I'd say 5-6 is realistic if you're learning the platform at the same time.
    01-28-2010 03:52 AM
    What's the quickest you've heard of an application being developed? Say, something simple, with about three pages, including a splash, the purpose being solely to return text data from one of a few different arrays. Much more simple right?
    01-31-2010 02:56 PM
    What's the quickest you've heard of an application being developed? Say, something simple, with about three pages, including a splash, the purpose being solely to return text data from one of a few different arrays. Much more simple right?
    about an hour to learn and 5 minutes to implement
    02-01-2010 12:49 PM
    How many hours does it take you to build the typical app?

1. 50-100: 32.3%
    2. 100-200: 29.3%
    3. 200+: 19.2%
    4. Less than 50: 19.2%

From a survey I found.
    02-07-2010 04:32 PM
    03-02-2010 07:46 AM
    Frustratingly our account is too new to post links, but if you were to go on Youtube and search for 'Create an iphone app in 3 hours' you will find a video on our new pre-alpha for iPhone development. One of our developers designs and codes an app in 3 hours and 16 minutes, using our english-like programming language which is perfect for beginners such as yourself.

Edit: We can now link!

You can see this game right through from concept to finished article in our .
    Last edited by runrev; 03-05-2010 at 12:36 PM.
    03-05-2010 12:06 PM
    I just had a look at that RunRev application RevMobile - and it looks seriously impressive for saving time.

You probably want to say something like "DreamWeaver for iPhone Apps" - but you're probably not allowed to legally use the DreamWeaver name...

Maybe just "WYSIWYG for iPhone Apps"
    03-14-2010 06:57 AM
    minimal 1 month for a game, 2 month for a decent tool app
    03-19-2010 12:59 PM
    An Update to the revMobile pre-Alpha news:

We currently have a package of benefits on offer including free access to the Simulcast and DVDs from our Conference in San Jose this November, which are a great resource for getting to grips with the revTalk language and revMobile itself. These are only free benefits with revMobile until the 31st March. Find out more here

We have begun a series of video tutorials on using revMobile and the various iPhone features, which are a great insight into the ease of the language and product for iPhone development. These tutorials can be found on the revMobile site and also on our Youtube channel

Our iPhone pre-Alpha has reached its sixth release, adding bug fixes but also access to two new iPhone features, Core Location (GPS) and Mail sending, as well as orientation detection. These features will be covered in our video tutorial series in the coming weeks.

We're running a competition to submit your best iPhone App or game built with revMobile, with the best App winning an Apple iPad - check out the details here
    03-26-2010 10:38 AM
    Coming from a C++ background, with no Objective C or iPhone experience it took me 4-5 months to design/write/market etc. a fairly substantial app (see My Vacation).

I was comfortable with the language and framework within about 6 weeks or so.
    Last edited by Tonester; 03-29-2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: clarification
    03-29-2010 05:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD