iPhone 3.0 MMS Questions

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
We know the MMS doesn't work yet on 3.0 with at&t, but had a couple questions.

1) Do any 3.0 users outside the US have any luck with MMS?

2) I stuck my sim in an old phone and tried to send an MMS and it said that MMS wasn't enabled. So for the people that swap their iPhone sim in and out of other phones, do you get MMS when using the other phone or have the same issue?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Here in the US and AT&T MMS goes hand and hand with Media Net which is not on the iPhone. I tried with a Bold sim that had MMS and it did not work as well. I've heard of others being able to receive but not be able to send (outside of the US) Looks like we will have to be patient.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Here in the US and AT&T MMS goes hand and hand with Media Net which is not on the iPhone. I tried with a Bold sim that had MMS and it did not work as well. I've heard of others being able to receive but not be able to send (outside of the US) Looks like we will have to be patient.

Yeah, I mean I probably will never use it, but just want to test it and be done with it :D

Do you have the link to the thread with the ATT dude? Hard to do a search with the 4 letter word limit.

APPCRITICal

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I work for O2 in the UK, after installing 3.0 (im a dev :D) I got MMS activated quite easily, i didnt even have to mention being an employee! It works perfectly as far as the server side of things goes. However there are still bugs in adding photos sometimes. Also i've noticed that if i have mms turned on and i send an sms longer than 1 message it converts it to an mms. hhhmmmm not so good considering i have unlimited sms but pay for mms!

APPCRITICal

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi Wolves, are you on O2? If so I'll help you get your MMS put on.

To anyone on o2, use this link

Say you have called CX services and they refused to add mms to your iphone account until the end of your contract. Then state the T&C's say nothing about losing MMS capability and that you look forward to the re-activation of that service.

Emailed them last night at about 11pm, mine was on by the time i woke up this morning at 8am!

Let me know how you get on people :)

APPCRITICal

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
Wolves, email me at marctew2003@gmail.com I'll give you details of some people who can add you to their Developer's lists. All we are asking is you help them beta test their new apps when they come out, after all...thats why they have a dev list :)

Thanks

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Posted this on my blog last night, the response from att. They said then couldn't then i asked...

Justin: Is there any official word why att won't do this?

Agent: Yes, Apple does not want MMS enabled for the iPhone at this time. We are abiding by the legal contract that exists between the two companies.

I'm not buying that, but I guess there is a small chance it's true.

Last edited:

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I've confirmed with a couple people that Rogers in Canada has no MMS. If it did work, it would be $0.50 off-plan per message, but the entire feature-set is missing from Canadian iPhones. No camera button on Messages App, no item in slide-up menus.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
No camera button on Messages App, no item in slide-up menus.

I've read it has to do with some IPCC file and that only the att one is active and shows the camera icon. I believe this is why that tethering trick disabled MMS icons from showing up, even on US based phones.

I think I'm done trying to get this to work and will just check with ATT every couple weeks to see whats up.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I believe MMS can work.

It's not the medianet package as that is exactly what the iPhone data package is. They only renamed it. Even PDA connect is medianet, called something else.

What you will need is...

MMS package on account
Data working
Wap push enabled

This is all after you mess with some of the iPhone 3.0 files.

I wish I was able to test this out... :-/

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Here is the post (macrumors) on how to do the rest...

MMS for the iPhone 3G on at&t does work. I've been able to send and receive messages directly from the iPhone 3G using the following instructions.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

1) This is experimental. The instructions might not work or might cause your phone to stop functioning completely.

2) at&t does not support this officially yet. There have been some reports of problems associated with enabling MMS on at&t.

3) The information is provided here for educational and informational purposes only. It should not be used on any phone.

This requires an iPhone 3G loaded with the iPhone OS 3.0 and 3.0 SDK installed onto a Mac with Leopard 10.5.

Step 1) Prepare the ATT_US.ipcc

Follow steps 1 - 7 from the instructions here.

1) Under Root in carrier.plist add:

AllowEDGEEditing Boolean Checked
AllowMMSCEditing Boolean Checked
AllowMMSEditing Boolean Checked

2) Add the following:

3) Under root in carrier.plist also add:

mms_proxy String 066.209.011.032
mms_proxy_port String 80
mmsc String http://mmsc.cingular.com

Now follow Steps 9 - 12 in the instructions to finish preparing the ATT_US.ipcc.

Step 2) Enable MMS on your account at at&t.

Removed content related to enabling MMS due to problems. I have been looking at SwirlyMMS threads to get an idea of how to enable it, but no solution so far.

I have not tested this with tethering. I will let someone do that if they want to.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Here is the post (macrumors) on how to do the rest...

No thanks... there are two sentences in that post that tells me to avoid... one of them being:

Removed content related to enabling MMS due to problems. I have been looking at SwirlyMMS threads to get an idea of how to enable it, but no solution so far.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I've been reading that thread as well and here is what I last posted:

me said:
I tried putting my SIM in an old phone, wait a long time, "surfed" Media Net, tried to go that Media Net setup page, but said I needed javascript.

Left it overnight and still could not send SMS from this other phone. I have a family text plan and I never get those SMS to "viewmypics" so I think I should be setup right.

If this was a feature I cared at all about I would probably keep trying, but at this point I just don't care enough. Only thing I will do is call ATT every couple days and see what they say. Good luck to everyone!

Satanic Goat

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
I set mine up using the o2 IPCC and the camera option appeared in the messages app, I also contacted o2 who sent me a nice email saying MMS was now activated, though i still can't send and receive. I got my wife to send me a couple of pics and nothing not even the text to tell me I had one. Strange. I have seen it mentioned you need to put your phone number in the message app when it opens for the first time, but i've never been prompted. Has anyone got any ideas to solve this?

EDIT now seems to be working fine sending and receiving.:D

Last edited:

Kfizzle

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
Called AT&T today...

I called AT&T today and after being redirected several times spoke with someone who said that they haven't heard anything about activating mms from apple and until then they can not activate it on the account. I have 3.0 and all of the features are enabled on the phone but every time I try to send it just bounces back a send error. I'm sure it's as simple as AT&T activating the service on the account bur they refuse to do it until they hear from apple. At least that is what they claim....

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner