3.0 OS Beta Installation

Zexel

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
So I just hastily became a developer tonight and I think I made a bad decision. It seems that the Beta OS is in a Mac file format. Though I've heard you can convert it and still install it to your iPhone on a Windows computer. Does anyone know how to do this?

If you aren't able to do this, do you think Apple would give me a refund on my Developer Subscription charge?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
So I just hastily became a developer tonight and I think I made a bad decision. It seems that the Beta OS is in a Mac file format. Though I've heard you can convert it and still install it to your iPhone on a Windows computer. Does anyone know how to do this?
I'm pretty sure you need to install it through Xcode which is part of the SDK which only runs on Mac. There might be some work around, but it's not going to be plug and play easy I don't think.

If you aren't able to do this, do you think Apple would give me a refund on my Developer Subscription charge?
Probably not, but can't hurt to ask.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
You can extract the ipsw file from the dmg file using 7zip and use shift+restore in itunes, from what I've read, no idea if it works or not.

LOL, what would you tell them to get a refund? "Sorry I only joined to preview the 3.0 software....and since I don't have a mac....can I have my money back?"

Muero

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I extracted the ipsw file from the dmg file on a Windows Vista system and installed the 3.0 software using the same Windows system. I used a free trial of PowerISO to extract.

abumchuck

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
i got a copy of 3.0

the bad news is its only good for iPhone 3G's. i have a first generation iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I have the ipsw that I can install on Vista, but I'm wondering if it's going to brick my device like everyone is saying?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I'm pretty sure you need to install it through Xcode which is part of the SDK which only runs on Mac. There might be some work around, but it's not going to be plug and play easy I don't think.

I had to restore my iPhone again b/c my iPod app stopped working and I did it through iTunes on the PC. So I guess you don't need to restore via Xcode.

Zexel

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
It installed fine on my computer running XP. I didn't get any errors at all, but I can't really stand 3.0. I'm gonna have to revert back to 2.2.1. I just hope that my iPhone won't be bricked when I either return my Developers package or when the public release of 3.0 comes out....Since my baseband won't change back I hope nothing gets f'd.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
It installed fine on my computer running XP. I didn't get any errors at all, but I can't really stand 3.0. I'm gonna have to revert back to 2.2.1. I just hope that my iPhone won't be bricked when I either return my Developers package or when the public release of 3.0 comes out....Since my baseband won't change back I hope nothing gets f'd.

First of all you will not be able to get your money back if that is your plan, second you may or may not be able to revert back to 2.2.1. I've heard of some people reverting back fine and others... not so fine. I've gone back and forth now a few times with no issues. Good luck.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR