So I just hastily became a developer tonight and I think I made a bad decision. It seems that the Beta OS is in a Mac file format. Though I've heard you can convert it and still install it to your iPhone on a Windows computer. Does anyone know how to do this?

If you aren't able to do this, do you think Apple would give me a refund on my Developer Subscription charge?
    03-19-2009 09:06 PM
    So I just hastily became a developer tonight and I think I made a bad decision. It seems that the Beta OS is in a Mac file format. Though I've heard you can convert it and still install it to your iPhone on a Windows computer. Does anyone know how to do this?
    I'm pretty sure you need to install it through Xcode which is part of the SDK which only runs on Mac. There might be some work around, but it's not going to be plug and play easy I don't think.

If you aren't able to do this, do you think Apple would give me a refund on my Developer Subscription charge?
    Probably not, but can't hurt to ask.
    03-19-2009 09:18 PM
    that sucks
    03-19-2009 09:19 PM
    You can extract the ipsw file from the dmg file using 7zip and use shift+restore in itunes, from what I've read, no idea if it works or not.

LOL, what would you tell them to get a refund? "Sorry I only joined to preview the 3.0 software....and since I don't have a mac....can I have my money back?"
    03-19-2009 09:19 PM
    I extracted the ipsw file from the dmg file on a Windows Vista system and installed the 3.0 software using the same Windows system. I used a free trial of PowerISO to extract.
    03-19-2009 10:49 PM
    the bad news is its only good for iPhone 3G's. i have a first generation iPhone.
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 03-22-2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: asking for firmware file
    03-22-2009 12:56 AM
    I have the ipsw that I can install on Vista, but I'm wondering if it's going to brick my device like everyone is saying?
    03-22-2009 12:20 PM
    the bad news is its only good for iPhone 3G's. i have a first generation iPhone.
    There are seperate versions for the two generations it seems...
    03-23-2009 08:36 AM
    I'm pretty sure you need to install it through Xcode which is part of the SDK which only runs on Mac. There might be some work around, but it's not going to be plug and play easy I don't think.
    I had to restore my iPhone again b/c my iPod app stopped working and I did it through iTunes on the PC. So I guess you don't need to restore via Xcode.
    03-23-2009 09:17 AM
    It installed fine on my computer running XP. I didn't get any errors at all, but I can't really stand 3.0. I'm gonna have to revert back to 2.2.1. I just hope that my iPhone won't be bricked when I either return my Developers package or when the public release of 3.0 comes out....Since my baseband won't change back I hope nothing gets f'd.
    03-23-2009 09:56 AM
    It installed fine on my computer running XP. I didn't get any errors at all, but I can't really stand 3.0. I'm gonna have to revert back to 2.2.1. I just hope that my iPhone won't be bricked when I either return my Developers package or when the public release of 3.0 comes out....Since my baseband won't change back I hope nothing gets f'd.
    First of all you will not be able to get your money back if that is your plan, second you may or may not be able to revert back to 2.2.1. I've heard of some people reverting back fine and others... not so fine. I've gone back and forth now a few times with no issues. Good luck.
    03-23-2009 10:08 AM
    There are seperate versions for the two generations it seems...
    Thats certainly true. I have both and the 2 different iPod touch versions.
    03-23-2009 03:03 PM
    Ash are you on the iPhone 3G?
    03-24-2009 09:14 PM
    can you upgrade the OS 3.0 beta with the public version when it comes out?
    03-24-2009 09:15 PM
    Ash are you on the iPhone 3G?
    Yes.

can you upgrade the OS 3.0 beta with the public version when it comes out?
    Sure can. Don't do it if you depend on your phone for daily use... It's purely a beta OS.
    03-24-2009 11:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD