I have recently started to poke around in app development for the iphone. I just wanted to suggest a book that I have been reading/referring to.

Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone

Amazon.com: Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK: Dave Mark, Jeff LaMarche: Books

This book along with Apples excellent tutorials have really made life easier. If you are looking to develop apps or just want to understand the apps, this is a great start.

Anybody else have some suggestions about where to start?
    01-23-2009 04:07 PM
    very noobish question: I know the iPhone development platform is Objective C. Is Objective C based on C or C++? If neither, which of the 2 is closer to Objective C?
    01-23-2009 05:16 PM
    Erika Sadun's book is good.

Objective C is based on C and Smalltalk. It improves on C with better memory management, more dynamic features than C, and a less annoying type system. I prefer it to C++, although C++ can be better for raw speed (assuming you can fit everything in cache).
    02-07-2009 03:32 PM
    I have recently started to poke around in app development for the iphone. I just wanted to suggest a book that I have been reading/referring to.

Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone

Agreed, this book covers some gaps in the Apple tutorials, IMHO. Some basic XCode and Obj-C reference helps, but a lot of the devils in the details I've stumbled upon at dev blogs, dev forums...
    02-22-2009 02:39 AM
    I wanted o develop apps also how do u get started??
    06-29-2010 10:43 AM
    If you need Iphone SDK 4 and Xcode 3.2.2, please let me know. I will send link down load for you. I'm coder and hope can find a one to work together.
    07-08-2010 12:44 PM
    Books is good but you have alot of data in the web
    08-09-2010 02:07 PM
    I agree that the book mentioned above is good. Personally I prefer the following:

The Pragmatic Bookshelf | iPhone SDK Development
    08-12-2010 10:48 AM
    The first book listed is excellent. I started with it too.
    I really learned a lot from AppsAmuck and icodeblog
    You have to Google them because I am new and can't post links yet.
    They have lots of examples of source code so you can get in there and see
    how things are done
    08-16-2010 09:49 AM
    I want to put a plug in here for the Stanford course available in iTunes U. There are assignments and solutions which should help aid learning outside of following books.
    08-23-2010 10:05 PM
    I want to put a plug in here for the Stanford course available in iTunes U. There are assignments and solutions which should help aid learning outside of following books.
    I second this. Lynda.com (no affiliation) also offers an online iPhone course (paid.)

As for books, I find the one from BigNerdRanch (again no affiliation) to be very good (and is available as a Kindle ebook which I read on my iPad while next to my Mac doing the exercises.)
    Last edited by gilroykilroy; 08-24-2010 at 10:28 AM.
    08-24-2010 10:25 AM
    The Stanford iTUnes U course is fantastic for development. Which reminds me I need to pick up where I left off. Recommended if you can still get access to it.
    10-01-2010 02:49 PM
    There are a ton of beginner videos you can watch if you just google around. My partner and I learned everything we know about developing apps by watching videos online and following tutorials.
    10-10-2010 02:50 PM
    Google and youtube is my best teacher~
    of course I have borrowed some books from library also
    10-26-2010 02:07 AM
    Go to appsamuck dot com here you have examples of tutorials...i hope this will help...
    10-29-2010 07:26 AM
    04-23-2011 06:56 AM
    I also recommend GameSalad, which I used to create my game from scratch in about 5 weeks with very little programming. Their forum support is excellent.
    04-23-2011 05:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD