Splatoon 2 Chatter

splatune

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
Seems like we should have a thread going about Splatoon 2. Definitely the most hype game right now for the Switch. I've just been watching streams of high-level ranked play and I've played a good bit of turf war at a friend's house. My initial takeaways:

* The game is definitely more fresh than the first. Better UI flourishes and cooler supporting characters. And the resolution bump is :yes:
* A bit of a bummer that they didn't fix some UX issues with the first game. While queued up for a game, you can't change weapons or even back out if you change your mind.
* No key binding changes available? This is silly.
* They seem to have fixed a lot of the problems with the competitive meta based on the weapons/supers/sub weapons.
* Sounds like people are much happier about the state of lag in matches. There seems to be less of it. Splatoon 1 was just a lag fest :(

Anyone playing this? What're your thoughts?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m sure there are members who are playing the aforementioned game, and I hope they reply in your thread soon...:)

GlassHasMass

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
This off I LOVED The original Splatoon! And Splatoon 2 looks even better!

The one thing that I wanted them to add was a jet pack

(I played a lot of super Mario sunshine and wanted the jet pack that fludd has)

And you will never guess what they added...

A JET PACK

Also I was curious about the local multiplayer for Splatoon 2

( the original local multi consisted of chasing balloons and was not great )

Can you play online with multiple people?

And is Salmon Run have a local multiplayer option? And what forms of local multiplayer is there?

splatune

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
I think the local multiplayer is good, apparently you can just play vs with whoever is nearby, no need to be on the same wifi. BUT I think online multiplayer it sounds like they didn't fix :(

To play with friends they first have to get into matchmaking lobby, and then you have to try to join their game, but it might put you on the other team. The only way I think that you can squad up is to play League mode, which requires a B- in ranked mode. So League sounds great, but I have some friends that may not make it to B- that I'll want to play with.

The Jet Pack is really cool. I see a lot of people using it, but the ult I'm most excited about is splashdown. It's not super OP but it seems like a great way to get out of a really bad situation in a panic.

xxchai

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
Oh yeah I've been watching some splatoon 2 streams, and the connection seems so much more stable than the last. That was one of thee most frustrating things, was lagging during ranked :no: A part of me still wishes they added a split mode though.

xxchai

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
BTW does anyone use motion controls? I personally don't, will we be able to turn it off in Splatoon 2 right? like in Splatoon?

splatune

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
I recommend trying out motion controls for a bit before turning them off. It gives you much more precision than thumbsticks alone, so you're playing at a disadvantage without them. That's assuming you're planning on getting competitive about it and going into ranked though :)

Centerion

May 20, 2017
Visit site
BTW does anyone use motion controls? I personally don't, will we be able to turn it off in Splatoon 2 right? like in Splatoon?

You can hear the case for Motion Controls here: https://youtu.be/a2OG1BkYhf4 . Alex from Nintendo Life teamed up with DUDE to talk about why you should use motion controls. Having had personal experience with both games (on my brother's Switch and on his WiiU), I heartily recommend you use the Motion Controls. As Splatoon 1 and 2 both do not have any type of Aim Assist, you really need to be really accurate, and I find that is a hard thing to do with the sticks alone.

As far as whether or not you can turn Motion Controls off, yes you can. You can find out how here: https://www.imore.com/how-turn-motion-controls-splatoon-2 . One extra tip: You can't change which buttons you want to use for what. I discovered that when my brother tried to change the controls back to what the original's where. They switched jump from X to B and I'm constantly bringing up the map (X's new use) in the middle of a battle...

Centerion

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Also, whose else LOVES the sparkles in the ink in the single player Hero Mode? I WANT TO SEE THIS IN THE MAIN GAME DURING SPLATFESTS!!! :)

splatune

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
One extra tip: You can't change which buttons you want to use for what. I discovered that when my brother tried to change the controls back to what the original's where.
Oh awesome, thanks for the tip! Not sure if I would change up the jump button or not. Having it be the button closest to the right stick makes sense. But some other buttons might be nice to swap around.

xxchai

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
You can hear the case for Motion Controls here: https://youtu.be/a2OG1BkYhf4 . Alex from Nintendo Life teamed up with DUDE to talk about why you should use motion controls. Having had personal experience with both games (on my brother's Switch and on his WiiU), I heartily recommend you use the Motion Controls. As Splatoon 1 and 2 both do not have any type of Aim Assist, you really need to be really accurate, and I find that is a hard thing to do with the sticks alone.

As far as whether or not you can turn Motion Controls off, yes you can. You can find out how here: https://www.imore.com/how-turn-motion-controls-splatoon-2 . One extra tip: You can't change which buttons you want to use for what. I discovered that when my brother tried to change the controls back to what the original's where. They switched jump from X to B and I'm constantly bringing up the map (X's new use) in the middle of a battle...

Nice very insightful post! Thank You

Spacemin

Jul 29, 2017
Visit site
i remember playing splatoon 2 back when nintendo did events in my home city and the motion controls on the pro controller felt really good

thethriftyman

Jul 29, 2017
Visit site
It's great to see Nintendo has refined motion controls to the point that they actually ADD to the accuracy of the gameplay. I always thought the motion controls on certain games on the Wii (like Mario Kart Wii) drug down the gameplay and put you at a disadvantage over people not using them.

splatune

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, motion controls are often used as a gimick (see: "I'm playing with tilt controls!" Mario Kart meme :p ) and don't add anything to the experience. Part of the problem is when you add it to a game that doesn't need them, they just make the experience worse. Simulating steering in a video game with a joystick is a solved problem. Aiming a reticle in 3D space with a joystick is not. For that, an option that gives you direct control of the reticle (as opposed to the acceleration of the reticle which thumbsticks do) is huge win.

mintyGreenchu

Jul 20, 2017
Visit site
I have the game, but I haven't gotten to play it yet sadly. I've been avoiding spoilers like the plague since release, but daaaannng those new squid girls are cuties! Whether I win a switch or buy one myself, I'm looking forward to playing! (I'm a blaster main on the Wii U game. Ready for the new gen!)

Also, I managed to snag all the switch accessories for Splatoon 2. I've got that nice looking pro-controller, even.~

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm not much of a gamer but my hubby and kiddos have been playing splatoon 2 nonstop since I brought it home. On the flat screen ... on the hand held screen ...... they all fight for a turn. It's the game of the moment in our house. I guess I should try it out sometime.