Anybody use game guides?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Game guides have been popular for many years and I'm curious how many people use them. I myself don't use them, it's like taking a test and being given the answer sheet. I prefer to explore games and figure out things as I go. What about you?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I used to get them to collect them back when I played more games. Sometimes I after I played through the game once or twice I would go through the guide and then play one more time to get some extras that I didn't find or think about. Doing it that way actually enhances the game instead of spoiling it for me.

MJedi

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't use them except RPG's these days have so many side quests and hidden items, it's almost a necessity.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Anyone remember a game called 'Kings Quest?' That was the sort of game, unless you actually followed the game guide to the letter, you would always end up somewhere near the end and be like 'but I don't have a paint bucket' lol 😃

Lately, its all about exploring and just figuring it out as I go.

Jason Cockerham

Community Reviews Team Leader
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Game guides have been popular for many years and I'm curious how many people use them. I myself don't use them, it's like taking a test and being given the answer sheet. I prefer to explore games and figure out things as I go. What about you?

I don't use them myself. I like to explore as well. There are some times and certain things I will look up but I like exploring myself.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I’ve bought them in past on previous gen consoles. I’m not a platinum guy (getting all the trophies) so I just play to finish the story. Most non and semi open world games are on the rails enough to where you can figure out how to progress through the game/story without a guide.

GlassHasMass

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Most of the time if I'm stuck I go on YouTube and look up a play through. It's easier if you just see someone else do it in video than trying to read about it. Also play through are FREE and highly entertaining!

elims35

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site
I used to use them - Twilight Princess was the first game that I opted not to, and I'm very glad I did. Upon completion, sometimes its fun to go back through the game with a guide, but overall I prefer to play without them.

splatune

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
Kind of off-topic a little, but the only game guide I think I've used (at least since the days of being subscribed to Nintendo Power) is the FFXV hard-cover prima guide. It was very quality and definitely made the whole experience much more enjoyable (because it gave insight into how particular systems worked more so than anything).

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
The only game guides I use are Wowhead and Icy Veins. Dugi guides for quick leveling alts, but no hardbound guides ever.

Centerion

May 20, 2017
Visit site
First, my favorite company for physical game guides is Prima.

Second, the one series that a guide is awesome for is Animal Crossing!!! Keeps track of everyone's birthdays, events, furniture, bugs, ect. There is just way too much in that game to keep track of at once, and having the prima guide on hand was very helpful. (My brother bought it when we both were playing ACNL together)

Other than that I will use a guide if I well and truly stuck, have finished the game and have already spent some time tracking down 100%, or am playing really old games, in which case number one usually applies! ;)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods