Nintendo Switch No Bluetooth Headset Support...Yet?

Elyjr

Mar 6, 2017
Visit site
So I heard from a friend bluetooth headsets are not compatible with the Switch. At least yet though it is possible.

I know the Joycons are bluetooth as the bluetooth identifiers show up on my friends phone when trying to pair them.
Since the Joycons are bluetooth there is no reason headset cannot be paired, and are purposely blocked by Nintendo.
Are Nintendo blocking BT headsets until the Online service is complete, or they are coming out with their own proprietary BT headsets.

What do you think?

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I want to believe they will support it in the future but they will probably just launch proprietary BT headsets in the near future...

andsoitgoes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
For right now an easy answer is a bluetooth transmitter dongle. Male to male cable and then headset. If you get a good enough dongle, the latency shouldn't be an issue!

ferreirarq

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't know... Nintendo usually makes this kind of dumb decisions. The online service is supposed to be handled (Friends. Communication and Game Parties at least) through a mobile app.

The thing is... if you are using a headset connected to your phone for voice chat... will there be a way to stream game audio through it? What if I want to play using headphones and try to communicate with my friends????? This seems is not well thought

kyrow123

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm hoping that they enable Bluetooth via a software update for other devices. Being able to use my AirPods with the Switch would be a wonderful combination for on the go gaming.

IvanKaramazov

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, bluetooth headphones seem like an obvious pair with the Switch, but Nintendo definitely has a weird relationship with "obvious" hardware pairings. I'm not too optimistic for such a software update, but it should be possible!

SmithersJr

May 15, 2017
Visit site
I don't like playing iOS games with BT headphones due to the lag: the audio and video are never in sync.

Would that be better with the Switch? Are there other gaming systems that support BT well?

mvpilot172

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I can't even use BT headphones on my PS4 so who knows if it'll ever come to the Switch. Some kind of wireless headset would be great, but unlike other consoles the Switch is meant to travel with, so it'd be great for standard BT headphone support.

Centerion

May 20, 2017
Visit site
So I heard from a friend bluetooth headsets are not compatible with the Switch. At least yet though it is possible.

I know the Joycons are bluetooth as the bluetooth identifiers show up on my friends phone when trying to pair them.
Since the Joycons are bluetooth there is no reason headset cannot be paired, and are purposely blocked by Nintendo.
Are Nintendo blocking BT headsets until the Online service is complete, or they are coming out with their own proprietary BT headsets.

The answer to your question is YES! And no.

First, you can use bluetooth headphones on the switch. Just, not through the OS... Alex from Nintendo Life explains how in this video.

https://youtu.be/FFV7n8Nj5TI

As you can see from the video (if you watched it) all you need to do is get a relatively inexpensive (low latency) bluetooth transmitter to connect with your headphones! I know it isn't exactly what we all want, but it's simple and it works. I'm not sure how long it'll take before Nintendo "officially" supports bluetooth headsets...

Last edited:

Centerion

May 20, 2017
Visit site
An hour ago another iMore member opened up a thread looking at a specific bluetooth transmitter solution. You can check it out below! I can't necessarily say that I recommend this specific transmitter, but you could have it plugged in pretty much all the time since it doesn't have any type of flexible cable and plugs directly into the port. Just thought I'd update everyone!

https://forums.imore.com/nintendo-s...set-solution-nintendo-switch.html#post2908645

Momobeawesome

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, so I am by no means and expert on Bluetooth technology but maybe Nintendo didn't intentionally block the capability for Bluetooth headphones. I know that the joycons are Bluetooth but maybe, in order to have Bluetooth headphones, Nintendo would have had to add additional hardware to into the system in order to support it, and they just didn't prioritize room for that when building it. I bring this up as just another possibility, but also totally think it's possible that Nintendo switch, as it stands now, is capable of supporting bluetooth headphones but Nintendo intentionally blocked it, in order to wait to sell their own headphones...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73