Nintendo Switch Game Packaging

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
One thing I've noticed that is a tad ridiculous is the size of the package new games come in. I mean, the games themselves come on a tiny card... and you have a standard cd-size package like you find for PlayStation/Xbox titles. Anyone find that ridiculous or do you feel it's just Nintendo having to keep up with the 'eye share' on the shelves? A smaller package might make give the vibe that the games are cheaper/less valuable?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
One thing I've noticed that is a tad ridiculous is the size of the package new games come in. I mean, the games themselves come on a tiny card... and you have a standard cd-size package like you find for PlayStation/Xbox titles. Anyone find that ridiculous or do you feel it's just Nintendo having to keep up with the 'eye share' on the shelves? A smaller package might make give the vibe that the games are cheaper/less valuable?

3DS games are the same way. The case is really just large to hold papers, manuals, and such. That's how it appears to me though. Based off the 3DS games that is, I assume the Switch games are the same.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
$60 for a AAA title they better give you a decent sized case for the game card!

All snarkiness aside, since it could be used as a home console, the larger size is probably to make it fit in on a bookshelf with other console games or Blu-ray's etc.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I think all video game companies wanna keep the size of the game packaging standard(ish).

Having the same size case for your PS4 games, X-Box games, SWITCH games makes it nice for storage. All the same height in a box. (OCD) haha :)

Also, if the game comes in a small case / package, it might be harder to spot on the store shelf. So i think they make it a 'standard game size case' because of that. Also, i would agree with what James said

A smaller package might make give the vibe that the games are cheaper/less valuable?

People want to see value and if something is big with a nice instruction booklet then they happier with their purchase :D

justsuf

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
I'm not going all digital yet. My ISP imposes a data cap and licenses can get corrupted or can't be validated when store/game servers go offline or are unreachable for whatever reason.

I hope the width of game cases get cut in half soon. No one bothers to include manuals anymore and I could fit more games on my shelf if the cases were thinner.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73