Nintendo Switch Pre-Order Thread

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Are you pre-ordering a Nintendo Switch? Post up here and share specifics on your order. Update your shipping information as it drops too!

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I think it would be a fun console, but I haven't actually played anything on my PS4 in at least 6 months. So... probably won't be getting it, at least for a while

hudss

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Pre ordered from target and Amazon. Delivery estimate is day of release. Was going to cancel one but figured wait and see if I can flip one.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Pre ordered from target and Amazon. Delivery estimate is day of release. Was going to cancel one but figured wait and see if I can flip one.

Not a bad plan. Although I'm going to assume the Switch will be more widely available compared to the NES Classic! (at least I hope so)

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
NES Classic aside, I think Nintendo has a pretty good track record regarding console availability. However, this is the first Nintendo product that has somewhat cutting edge hardware (I'm talking specifically about the NVIDIA guts) and I'm worried about the initial run of consoles having some sort of nasty hardware bug. I know they aren't manufacturing the entire console, but NVIDIA's past regarding mobile devices hasn't been too stellar. I really want to pre-order but I think I'm gonna wait until people start getting their hands on them, just to be safe.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe not a bad plan. Playing it safe rather than sorry.

I'm sure they'll be solid, but you never know. I'm still on the fence on the pre-order! Kinda want to try it out first!

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I usually pre-order every system but the witch I've known about for a long time and just couldn't pull the trigger. Just gonna wait and see how well it does. But I see this system just being something for me to have to complete the 3 console cycle.

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Is anyone planning on purchasing the Nintendo Switch?
Hands down! Pre-Ordered it the first moment I saw it appear on Amazon. (admittedly, that was somewhat foolish of me, as no sooner had I done that, they brought out the edition that comes with the better color JoyCon controllers). But not so worried though, as I'll probably need additional JoyCon controllers anyway, which they do separately in those colors, so I'll just do it that way rather than cancelling the console and risk losing out on getting it in time. I'm actually so excited about its release that I don't want to wait any longer than I have to. What about you? I remember you saying on another thread that you weren't much a of a videogamer. But will you be doing it anyway, or are you going to be skipping this one?

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
@Greek - when is the Switch going to be available again? (I forget)

It's official release date is March 3rd. But for anyone who still wants to pre-order them, although Amazon had completely sold out of all their pre-allocated units that they got the first time round, I noticed last week that two of the amazon countries made a second batch available again. (Amazon France, and Amazon UK were the two I saw). Depending on their shipping settings, they may even ship internationally aswell, so it may not even matter if you happen to live in a different country. If neither of those countries turn out not to have enabled shipping in your area though, being as they seem to have acquired more units, this is also likely to mean that the other countries may start accepting pre-orders again aswell. So is always worth checking. Another tip I have is to also check the lesser known places that sell games and consoles. I recently found that there was a local store near me that still has allocated units left to pre-order. (basically because most people think of the major retail chains first, so they sell out faster, whereas many of the smaller stores not as many people have thought to check yet, so haven't yet sold out of even their first pre-allocated batch).

I even found that I could get the Limited Edition version of the Zelda Breath of the Wild game that had sold out everywhere else was available in a couple of local stores too, so all is not lost for anyone who has happened to miss out on either of those things. (You just need to search a little deeper, and think outside of the box). While my local store unfortunately does not do international shipping, so probably wouldn't be useful to anyone reading this, my point is that there may be many other local stores near you that have some left also. So don't be afraid of broadening your search, and even think of things like widening your internet searches to countries you wouldn't have initially thought of looking in. (google translate will help in cases where we don't speak the language of the sites that show availability in). -Pasting the web address directly into google translate and clicking the link it spits out in the translation window basically will open the whole page translated into the language you set. (and every link you click thereafter will be translated too, so you can browse literally any site that way in your own language). I do this all the time!

So there are always multiple different ways to go about finding them, it just requires thinking smart. ;)

The other great thing about Nintendo Switch is that (unlike alot of their previous consoles) the Switch and all its games are Region Free, and the games will automatically play in the language you set your console up as in the region settings, so all games will work and will play in your own language, no matter what country you purchased either your console or your games from.

For this reason, another tip that many may also find helpful is that it also helps to shop around when looking for games and accessories, as you can often get better prices by checking on xe currency converter what the price works out as in your own currency. For example, when the Switch was first released, they were cheaper to buy in the USA, second cheapest in UK (so was useful when all the USA ones ran out of stock) and then in the Euro countries, oddly enough the initial RRP price varied quite a bit (depending on which country you were searching in). The RRP in Euros in France was often cheaper than Italy for example, but not always, so worth comparing that also). Additionally, also bear in mind that currency exchange rates change all the time (even from moment to moment) so never take that pecking order as a given. The smartest way is to always check the currency conversion rate live at the exact time of purchase, as this is the most guaranteed way to always ensure you are getting the best price.

So hope those tips are helpful for anyone still wanting to get hold of Nintendo Switch stuff (....or even when shopping for anything for that matter) ;)

Last edited:

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Super useful. You are totally awesome :)

FWIW that Zelda game looks like tons of fun.

No worries!

Yeah, most Zelda games usually are brilliant in every possible way. (even the one I didn't like so much (Zellda II for the NES) still had plenty to like about it. (mostly what sucked about that one is just that the game is just incredibly difficult, and was made back before you could save your progress at specific points in the game). -So if you died (which would happen often) you would basically have to start all over again from the last point you were able to save to, which usually meant you had to redo hours and hours of stuff, and that aspect of it really could get quite soul destroying).

Fortunately literally every other game in the Zelda series besides that one has been extremely good though! So good in fact, that after many years hiatus of not playing consoles since my teens, playing a Zelda game on the 3DS a few years back got me so hooked, that I went back and backtracked buying all the older Nintendo consoles just to get to play all the Zelda games I had missed! (and boy was it worth it!) Every single one of them was awesome! Fast forward to today, and hundreds of other Nintendo games now played too, and Zelda still remains by farrrr my all time favorite series out of all of them.

So I really hope they don't screw it up with the new one, as they have changed alot about the game. (so they could either totally ruin it, or it could go extremely well!) -Hopefully it's the latter! If I hadn't played any of the others in the series, I'm not so sure that what I've seen in the trailers would have gotten me so hyped. (but knowing what an exceelnt job they've made of all the others, I have a sneaky suspicion that it's going to be much better to play than the trailers have enabled me to see!) (Have pre-ordered both the WiiU version and also the Nintendo Switch version, so I'll be sure to let you know!) Most likely, I'm going to be glued to it for quite some time! ;)

What about you? You going to be trying this one out aswell, or are you just curious at this stage?

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
It seems there are some retailers that broke street date and are shipping pre-orders now. There's a ton of YouTube videos popping up of people that have already received theirs.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
If you want a second complete Joy Con controller, it will run you $110. $80 for the L/R controllers and $30 for the charging grip. It's also worth noting that the Joy Con grip that ships with the Switch does not charge the controllers.

Also with noting that you can't charge the Switch and use the built-in kickstand because the charging port is on the bottom. You need a stand to elevate the switch if you want to play and charge on a tabletop at the same time.

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
It seems there are some retailers that broke street date and are shipping pre-orders now. There's a ton of YouTube videos popping up of people that have already received theirs.

NICE!! (...Wow, wish I had been one of the lucky ones this happened to!). I've seen videos of people who had leaked stuff, but nothing from people who actually ordered the proper way and received the console. (but I'm sure it's possible that some people did get lucky like this). There was one YouTube vid I saw from a guy that showed off the UI for example, but even he didn't dare to boot up the eShop in case he got his system barred due to not supposed to be having them yet. But while this shows that people aren't "officially" supposed to have them yet, it also shows that some people have genuinely gotten hold of some somehow. (Though it gives me the impression that they obtained them using unorthodox methods)

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
NICE!! (...Wow, wish I had been one of the lucky ones this happened to!). I've seen videos of people who had leaked stuff, but nothing from people who actually ordered the proper way and received the console. (but I'm sure it's possible that some people did get lucky like this). There was one YouTube vid I saw from a guy that showed off the UI for example, but even he didn't dare to boot up the eShop in case he got his system barred due to not supposed to be having them yet. But while this shows that people aren't "officially" supposed to have them yet, it also shows that some people have genuinely gotten hold of some somehow. (Though it gives me the impression that they obtained them using unorthodox methods)

It's possible they received review units ahead of time. That being said, there's usually an embargo on posting pics/videos until the actual public release date.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Also, if they pre-ordered from a legitimate retailer and received their pre order early, that's on the retailer and not the consumer.

Greek Geek

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
It's possible they received review units ahead of time. That being said, there's usually an embargo on posting pics/videos until the actual public release date.
Very true! I think that official reviewers all have to sign up to confidentiality agreements, etc. (Still, I'm sure there would still be ways that they could get around this, like (for example) videoing someone else playing the console, and then posting it to youtube, etc.) -That way, they would have no way of knowing who it was who actually breached their confidentiality agreement. But I'm sure they would be pushing to get the person who uploaded the video to get their content taken down, etc. if they ever got found out.
(...So just to be clear, I'm not endorsing or recommending that anyone actually tries this). -I'm simply stating that there will always be crafty people out there who figure out ways of circumventing literally anything they're not supposed to do, so it's inevitable that many things often wind up slipping through the net, as we have already seen happen with the number of leaks that have popped up here and there already.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR