[REVIEW] AUKEY Dashboard Camera (DR01)

Adam Matlock

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
https://youtu.be/VDFA5pSN7Zk
https://youtu.be/eBcgG_BhjCY

Dashboard Cameras (AKA “Dash Cams”) seem to be all the rage right now, and for plenty of good reasons. They help to protect you from liability in the event of an accident, they catch people who bump into the hood of your car, and they allow you to record video clips of the road while you sing your favorite songs while you’re heading down the interstate. In all fairness, they’re pretty cool, and they’re really useful! I reviewed a different Dash Cam not too long ago and it was well-received, so I was happy to try my hands on this new little guy made by AUKEY, so I could pass it along as well. So without further ado, say hello to the AUKEY Dashboard Camera (Model DR01)!

1.jpg

Overview: The AUKEY Dashboard Camera is a nifty little - and I do mean little - piece of hardware that hangs from the windshield inside your car and records stuff while you’re driving, or parked. It’s MicroUSB powered and has a cord that runs up to the camera keeping it powered while the car is in operation. The standard operating mode is loop-recording, which can be set for either 3, 5 or 10 minutes increments, and continuously records the entire time the camera is on. It also initiates a recording whenever the camera detects varying degrees of impact or sharp turns, which can be adjusted for varying sensitivity from low to high. If you’re not sure what loop recording is, it’s the way that the camera records footage onto the storage device. Each recording session will be recorded in chronological order until the storage is full and then it will start back over with the oldest recording, thus enabling you to never really run out of the ability to record. However, as I mentioned, it will start recording over older videos once the storage is full, so you want to be aware of this and offload any important clips that you may want to keep. The dash cam also has a new “Night Vision” mode, which allows you to record nighttime footage.

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Function: The Dashboard Camera is very straight-forward and easy to use. As you can see from the included pictures, there are only a four buttons on this bad boy. It has an “emergency” button, which enables you to initiate an emergency recording that lasts for 30 seconds – which is handy if you want catch someone’s license plate or an accident on the road while you’re driving. There are up and down buttons, which enable you to initiate a full-length recording based on the loop setting, as well as navigate through the options menu. Finally there is the “Ok” button, which allows you to make changes within the user interface and change settings. Like I said… very simple; and simple is good! The menu settings are also easy to navigate through and change to your individual preferences. You can turn audio on or off, – of course this will impact file size – you can include watermarking so the date and time is included in the video. I do need to mention one thing though… the camera does not have a built-in battery. I was a little surprised at first, but it’s not the end of the world because it connects VIA MicroUSB. However, when I tried to power it up when I opened the box I couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t turn on until I looked at the instructions. I should have put two and two together when it felt so light, but I digress. The lack of battery definitely isn’t a show stopper, but I’d imagine it helped a lot when it came to keeping the price low (currently priced at $57.99). Last but not least, the camera has several ways that you can fasten it inside your car. There is a suction-cup based mount which has an apparatus that connects directly to the camera and pivots on two different axis, enabling you to achieve the optimum viewing angle. The mount connects directly to the camera so that nothing has to be permanently affixed inside your car. And if the suction cup doesn’t work for you, there is an additional mount which has a 3M adhesive patch on the bottom so you can mount it on your windshield. Last but not least, if the two mounts aren’t enough for you, there are six little adhesive clips that you can use to route the power cable up and out of the way.

5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

Specs: The AUKEY Dashcam has really good specs for such an inexpensive and conveniently sized dash cam. Check this out:
- It has a Sony CMOS sensor built into the camera (Sony Exmor IMX323)
- A live-feed 2.0” LCD screen (can be turned on or off while driving)
- A 170-degree lens for wide angle recording
- 1080p Full-HD video recording at 30FPS, and 720p recording up to 60FPS
- Recording Modes: Loop, Motion Detection, Time-Lapse, and Emergency Recording
- MicroSD support up to 128gb – Class 10
- The Dashboard Camera has no internal storage.
- The Dashboard Camera has no internal battery
- The USB charger has dual charging slots on it

8.jpg
9.jpg

Conclusion: All in all, the AUKEY Dashboard Camera does a great job. It’s really nice having the peace of mind that you have an added layer of personal protection while you’re driving around town, and even when you’re away from your vehicle. Of course it doesn’t protect you if you’re rear-ended, but if you have to slam on the brakes or something hits the front of your car – or heaven forbid you run into someone - then the events that transpire afterward will be faithfully recorded onto your dash cam. The AUKEY Dashboard Camera is well-priced and very affordable for a fully functional 1080p recording device, and it’s also backed by AUKEY’s 24-month warranty! So, if you’re in the market for picking up a dash cam, I think that the AUKEY Dashboard Camera is well worth the consideration.

10.jpg
11.jpg

If you’re interested in picking up the AUKEY Dashboard Camera (DR01), you can find them for $57.99 on Amazon.com - https://amzn.to/2unb403 - and they also qualify for Prime free 2-day shipping, which is nice. The Dashboard Camera only comes in one color: black. Thinking about getting one or have a question? Feel free to leave it down in the comment section.

Last but not least, I did want to go ahead and do a short plug for the AUKEY TeamTechKey program. They were nice enough to send out this dash cam for me to review, so I’d like to do the favor of sharing this program with interested readers who may be in the market for reviewing products. AUKEY’s TeamTechKey is a review-based program, where you sign up and if selected, AUKEY will send you products to review, but… you have to do some honest work for it if you are selected for the program. In exchange for receiving products to review, you have a week to test out the product and write-up a review, video, or some other meaningful engagement to share the product and your experience with your own userbase. Want to learn more? Here’s the link: https://www.aukey.com/teamtechkey_program - In full disclosure, this review, statement and blurb are not sponsored by AUKEY or required by them, and I am not a part of this program, but I do think it’s nice that they provide this opportunity for hopeful tech enthusiasts who want to do some product reviews in exchange for some sweet products.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711