Apple Silicone Case Review (7 Plus)

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Overview
Everyone likes Apple’s cases right? While others prefer the premium aesthetic of the Leather case, I prefer the Silicone myself. There’s really not a lot to dislike about the Silicone case. It’s a slim case that offers minimal drop protection while giving you great grip on your phone. What about the lint? I’ve only owned two of Apple’s silicone cases and neither one really collected lint. Is going to collect some, of course, it’s silicone. It does not collect as much as other silicone cases though, and it also doesn’t stick to the inside of your pockets like other silicone cases will. These are the things that really set it apart for me. The silicone that Apple uses is very soft, very comfortable, very grippy in your hand, and yet is still easily accessible no matter what pocket you have it in.

The Apple Silicone case will cover just as much of your phone as their leather case will. This is full side, top, and back coverage while leaving the bottom wide open for accessories and cables. The silicone case also features Apple’s precision mute switch cutout, which I believe should be just a little bit bigger as it is a tight fit. As far as thickness is concerned, it’s only thick enough to protect the camera hump on the back. It’s thin enough and light enough to forget you even have a case on your phone. As with Apple’s leather case, the inside of the silicone is padded to protect the back of your phone. The buttons are reasonably tactile due to the soft nature of the silicone. I do wish they add the aluminum buttons to the silicone cases though, that would be amazing.

So maybe you’re worried about stains. Sure grease and grime will show up, it’s silicone. Fret not, it will wipe away even if you only use a shirt sleeve or your jeans. Maybe you’re worried about fraying and flaking. Yes, the silicone case will eventually flake little pieces off if you use it all the time unless you are incredibly careful with your cases. Here’s the thing though, you’ll notice it at first, then the flake will come off, the silicone case will be shiny in that area for a few days until it picks up the same everyday things the rest of the case picks up. At that point, those flaky areas will just be a darker shade than the rest of the case and they will blend in. I myself didn’t notice any flaking until six months or longer of having the case and using it for most of that time on a daily basis.

What it comes down to is whether or not you want a slim case, how comfortable of a case you want, and your budget. The Apple Silicone case is the same cost as most every other name brand case, it’s slimmer than most, and exceeds the comfort level the name brand competitors. I don’t always need a super protective case, and when I don’t, I throw my silicone case on my phone. I could keep writing and writing and writing, and I will still not convey how much I love using the Apple Silicone case. It may not be everyone’s cup of tea, it does, however, fill a pretty large use case for what I look for in cases while maintaining a level a comfort that I always seek out in cases.

DSC_0191.JPG

The Good
  • Slim and lightweight
  • Very comfortable
  • Precise fit

The Bad
  • Minor lint collection
  • Doesn’t cover the bottom of the phone
  • Not very protective

DSC_0190.JPG
DSC_0192.JPG

Conclusion
The Apple Silicone case may not be for everyone, however, it is a definitely a case I will always buy to go with my iPhone’s. At $40, that’s practically a steal from Apple. If you don’t mind the minimal protection, open bottom, and minimal lint collection, I would say grab one of these cases.

You can buy the Apple Silicone case directly from Apple

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a white one. About ever few weeks i have to wipe it down as it gets dirty pretty quick when using it, though it is white so it's going to happen!

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
Good review! Although I prefer the Apple Leather, I do use my silicone some of the time , I find mine harder to get out of pockets than leather .

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
In the event I actually use a case it's usually an ocean blue Apple Silicone. It's a good balance between minimalism and protection.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Excellent review! I'll be switching to a silicone case today anyway and this review further supports my previous decision to do so.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I find them to protect a LOT more than expected.
I dropped my phone on it's bottom left corner, on a concrete floor and everything was intact.

Plus, they're stylish!

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
The one part of the leather version I like better is that the leather starts to break in and change colors a bit and looks very cool. Like a broken in leather jacket, it gets better with age. But I am rocking the Silicone one currently and love it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro