How can we improve the design and layout of the iMore Forums?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Is it just me, or is the "Multi Quote" feature gone? Off hand that's one recommendation I have. I agree with many of the other things that have been mentioned here so far. There is A LOT of extra space on either side of the threads. There is no easily seen method of logging in.

On desktop you can use multi quote by right clicking to copy text and it brings up a quote tag. Then you do the same on the other post you want to quote and they all show up for you to quote. It's not the most elegant solution, but it works. Not sure if it works on mobile though, because I don't use forums on mobile. The experience is poor on mobile to me.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Great topic!!!! My main wish would be for there to be more continuity between the app and the website. I find the website much easier to navigate. I can tell when I have messages, likes, quotes much easier than I can on the app. The App is cumbersome, and when I'm not at work, I find that I visit iMore less. I do better on my iPad than on my iPhone, but it's still not ideal. I do use the dark mode on all devices, but I agree that the color scheme isn't the best. Plus, when I'm at work, the icon on the Tab (I use Chrome) stands out like a sore thumb! Not that my boss snoops on my computer, but still.... ;)

On mobile, you tap the little moon icon for dark theme. Then tap the gear to switch back to light theme.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Awesome Thread!

I would like to see the broken image links in Tapatalk and iMore app working properly. As I do wallpapers for members it is one of the most common things I hear about. "Multi quote" would be a definite asset. Rather than seeing a member have to answer each post one at a time.

Advanced search is very hidden. It would be nice if people knew where it was.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In summary, at least from my perspective, the iMore Forum website is too complicated, too layered and it does not display a sense of relation to Apple products and services. It need simplicity, and a common sense approach to accessing sections within the forums.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
In summary, at least from my perspective, the iMore Forum website is too complicated, too layered and it does not display a sense of relation to Apple products and services. It need simplicity, and a common sense approach to accessing sections within the forums.

Yes, and a common sense approach to settings options, which are scattered about, rather than all in a central place.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
In Participated, have an option to show/sort threads with new or unread posts. I have a feeling that there are threads I've participated in that have new discussion, but don't know about it - even after scrolling through several Participated pages. I'm not sure if Participated is working at times.

As an example, I have participated in this discussion (NCAA Football 2017)
https://forums.imore.com/sports/387675-ncaa-football-2017-a-6.html#post3021571 Went there just now by navigating directly via Forums/iMore Lounge/Sports, and saw that there were two unread posts, but don't recall seeing that show up in my Participated list as a discussion that had unread comments.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I’ll echo what some others have said about the forums being convoluted. Too many areas causes too many dead forums. A more simplified approach would be better.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I also use the "Participated" option a lot on the web version (i.e. not Tapatalk) and they don't sort in date order. Even if I clear out the first page, there are others unread on page 2 and beyond that are newer posts to respond to than showed up on the front page which might be half read.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I know ads pay the bills but good lord can we ease up on them? I paused my ad-blocker for another website this morning. Then ventured over to iMore into the forums where my browser (chrome) was locking up and freezing like crazy only on this website. I was fine everywhere else but when I'd come to the Forums I couldn't do anything after a few moments. Thats when I remembered by Ad-Blocker was paused. I re-enabled it and I'm back and everything is smooth sailing.

That is insane. The ads shouldn't slow the experience to a crawl. Maybe that's something that could be taken into consideration. I'm fine because I use the ad-blocker. But what if we are alienating new users who may not be experiencing similar issues as I am.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I know ads pay the bills but good lord can we ease up on them? I paused my ad-blocker for another website this morning. Then ventured over to iMore into the forums where my browser (chrome) was locking up and freezing like crazy only on this website. I was fine everywhere else but when I'd come to the Forums I couldn't do anything after a few moments. Thats when I remembered by Ad-Blocker was paused. I re-enabled it and I'm back and everything is smooth sailing.

That is insane. The ads shouldn't slow the experience to a crawl. Maybe that's something that could be taken into consideration. I'm fine because I use the ad-blocker. But what if we are alienating new users who may not be experiencing similar issues as I am.

They are obnoxious. Thank goodness for AdBlock.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73