Is 5G Ultrawide Band Prevalent In Your Area?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Here in Orlando, 5GUW is available in certain sections of the city whereas 5G low band is pretty much available everywhere minus the dead spots that every city has.

With that being said, I’m with Verizon. 5GUW for T-Mobile appears to be more prevalent here from what I see from friends and colleagues that use its service. What about you?

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
giphy.gif

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a 5G phone, so I can't test out my carrier's claims.

According to them, 5G is generally available in my area. But there are significant gaps in coverage, even in the second biggest region in the country.
As for 5G UW, Apple doesn't sell any iPhones compatible with those bands outside the USA, and carriers have no mention of it on their coverage maps whatsoever. Not that it would change a whole lot with our measly bandwidth allowances.

Last edited:

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I get 5g just about every where in the Seattle/suburbs area, with a hefty sprinkling of 5g UC in places with T-mobile. Let me tell you when you hit those towers with the 5g UC, I have speed tests range between 450mbs to 1.5 GBs ...

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Isn’t UC for more congested areas? Like near a downtown area or a stadium? Is it something that will eventually be everywhere?

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It's mostly in very dense population areas with some at places I'll call landmarks such as stadiums, arenas and airports. It lines some busy city center streets and pedestrian malls.

All the 5g is clearly a work in progress. I frequent places in Verizon's "5G Nationwide" map only getting LTE, get 5G when the map only shows LTE. Traveling this past summer in an ultra wide area without that Ultra Wide in my plan, my 12 Pro Max got unseen/unheard performance.

All this has me more curious with Verizon's map stating expanded coverage coming this month where I assume you need a newer plan than ours.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I get 5G UC for T-Mobile all over MSP. I've only seen a couple of 5G-only "dead spots".

I switched to T-Mo from Verizon back in October and I've been really happy with the service.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I switched to T-Mo from Verizon back in October and I've been really happy with the service.

I’ve been tempted on a few occasions to switch to T-mobile. I was a customer when it was also called Voicestream and Aerial and I recall the service being good, but not better than Verizon back then.

I may pull the trigger and switch sometime this year, but we’ll see.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
5GUWB is available in certain areas in my city but not everywhere. Fortunately, the area in which I work has it so I get to test it out daily. It's pretty fast. But it's only good outdoors. When inside, it's not as great.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I’ve been tempted on a few occasions to switch to T-mobile. I was a customer when it was also called Voicestream and Aerial and I recall the service being good, but not better than Verizon back then.

I may pull the trigger and switch sometime this year, but we’ll see.

I switched to T-Mobile when they offered up to $1,000 to pay off your phone from your current network back in October and they paid off most of what I owed for my iPhone 13 Pro Max. It was a no-brainer, to me, to switch.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
With high frequency spectrum, you get amazing speeds but with poor range (coverage). With low frequency spectrum, you get amazing range but with average to low speeds. Between these frequencies is middle frequency spectrum, which is a nice balance of range and speed.

Verizon chose to initially focus on high frequency mmWave 5G while T-Mobile focused on middle frequency. Verizon hasn't turned on the mid-band frequencies yet, which is why T-Mobile has better 5GUW coverage right now. Once that happens, most areas with regular 5G will turn into 5GUW.

I recommend waiting until after Verizon turns on the C-Band before deciding to switch.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
With high frequency spectrum, you get amazing speeds but with poor range (coverage). With low frequency spectrum, you get amazing range but with average to low speeds. Between these frequencies is middle frequency spectrum, which is a nice balance of range and speed.

Verizon chose to initially focus on high frequency mmWave 5G while T-Mobile focused on middle frequency. Verizon hasn't turned on the mid-band frequencies yet, which is why T-Mobile has better 5GUW coverage right now. Once that happens, most areas with regular 5G will turn into 5GUW.

I recommend waiting until after Verizon turns on the C-Band before deciding to switch.

Welcome back! It’s been a while … :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner