Have you been receiving unsolicited political texts lately?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have! In the last two days I have received at least one political text per day. This is driving me crazy. It’s bad enough that people are receiving spam calls on our cell phones, on our landline‘s, spam emails, and now they’re texting us. I have no idea how they got my number but I wanted to stop so I’ve done some sleuthing on how to make that happen.

Since I am on AT&T I started with them first. “To report a spam SMS message received on your iPhone, you can forward the text to the number SPAM (7726). AT&T will reply with a text asking for the phone number of the person who sent the spam text message. Reply with the phone number and that's it.”

This works!

Edited to Add: After reading further, this seems to work for Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint as well!

Last edited:

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I have! In the last two days I have received at least one political text per day. This is driving me crazy. It’s bad enough that people are receiving spam calls on our cell phones, on our landline‘s, spam emails, and now they’re texting us. I have no idea how they got my number but I wanted to stop so I’ve done some sleuthing on how to make that happen.

Since I am on AT&T I started with them first. “To report a spam SMS message received on your iPhone, you can forward the text to the number SPAM (7726). AT&T will reply with a text asking for the phone number of the person who sent the spam text message. Reply with the phone number and that's it.”

This works! More later...

I just received my first one today, and it’s quite annoying....especially since I haven’t lived in that state for years.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I haven’t gotten any yet, but I get a ton of spam phone calls (health insurance) mostly via my work number, but since I have the Vonage Business app on my iPhone, those calls also go to it. A few of the calls are to my personal number. The robocallers are spoofing numbers from everywhere.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Go to https://www.donotcall.gov/ and make sure your cell phone is registered. Then you can start reporting the calls and text messages.

Will it make a difference? I don't think so. Been reporting them for years and it still happens.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Luckily, no. Also have been avoiding the robocalls. But, I do have RoboKiller, so, they won’t get through anyway.

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I haven’t gotten any yet, but I get a ton of spam phone calls (health insurance)...

I’ve gotten one once or twice regarding health care, but the majority of the ones that I have gotten are for refinancing student loans (those days are WAY behind me), or for car warranties...
I have a dummy contact that I assign them to, and I have that contact blocked. But, of course, there’s always a new ‘local’ number that I eventually get called from again, and then I repeat the process over for that number. I did receive some random text recently asking if I would help volunteer for campaigning, it was from no one I knew, addressed to a different first name from mine...

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Received quite a few the past few weeks, some addressed to me, and others addressed to one of my daughters - but texted to my mobile number.

When they first started appearing, I think I may have made a mistake by blocking the number, and when doing so that may put the text in "read" state.

So I just started deleting them outright. Seem to have tapered off this week, none so far.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I entered my number donotcall.gov a couple of years ago. I agree with @Lee_Bo, I don't think it does much good, but it can't hurt either. I have blocked the numbers as well.

dieseldude

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I have only received one text like that. What I mostly get are just spam text for different services or items. It’s almost like we need a spam folder for text like we have in email.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods