Just switched to T-Mobile from Verizon

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Awesome. I just need TMo to work in a highrise condo in Myrtle Beach and I’ll be good to go.

Well they were working on their 600MHz band that was supposed to penetrate walls and buildings better. Not sure what's happening with that now with the merger.

bjf123

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I switched from AT&T to TMo earlier this year. I went from paying just over $100 for two lines with 3GB of data to an all in price of $60 for unlimited data. It’s a plan that’s only available if you’re over 55. The network speeds are better than AT&T, but the coverage is not as good. My wife was on an annual business trip in the north central part of FL a few months ago. Previously, the AT&T coverage was fine there. This year, staying at the same hotel, she had to walk outside to get a workable TMo cell signal. Other than that, things are great.

etad putta

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I've been with T-Mobile for almost 2 years now. Came from att. Paying less, getting more. Generally speaking it's pretty good stuff. Billing is a bit of a train wreck and support can be iffy, but my family can burn up a ton of data with nobody complaining so....

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Well they were working on their 600MHz band that was supposed to penetrate walls and buildings better. Not sure what's happening with that now with the merger.

Still working on it, but currently I think only the Galaxy S9 can use it. Phones need band 71 to access it. So hopefully the new iPhones have it.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I left Verizon for T-Mobile last year and switched back to Verizon. Why you ask? Because the cost of unlimited on T-Mobile cost the same amount as it does on Verizon so I figured I might as well be on the network that works out in the sticks.

T-Mo will be good in a few years when the 600MHz spectrum is up and running. But until then, I'll stay on Verizon.

Spectrumite

Jul 14, 2018
Visit site
Without reading through the above posts, I will add that my wife and I have been on T-Mobile for 15 years and are grandfathered in to a very inexpensive ONE plan. The service has been outstanding; never ever a dropped call; great 4Gee LTE speeds; customer service always cordial and objective. Having never used Verizon, OP, I cannot make a comparison, but will say that you cannot lose by going to the Big Pink!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to switch to TMo but the rate isn't that much better than my VZW for the hassle (but I'll revisit it soon I'm sure) and we still have an iPhone 6 and 6s on the plan that I'm not sure would have all the bands necessary to take advantage of the full TMo network. My X would probably be fine, but the 6/6s I'm not sure.

Edit: oof 3g tethering on a non Amplified? No thanks :)

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Still working on it, but currently I think only the Galaxy S9 can use it. Phones need band 71 to access it. So hopefully the new iPhones have it.

Probably the main reason I'm staying with the 7 Plus a little longer. I want to see if the next devices have it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to switch to TMo but the rate isn't that much better than my VZW for the hassle (but I'll revisit it soon I'm sure) and we still have an iPhone 6 and 6s on the plan that I'm not sure would have all the bands necessary to take advantage of the full TMo network. My X would probably be fine, but the 6/6s I'm not sure.

Edit: oof 3g tethering on a non Amplified? No thanks :)

Yeah that’s rough. I rarely use tethering but I’d like to know I can at LTE speeds if the need arises.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have been on all 4 networks. You simply have to use what works for you (coverage wise and price wise). No real reason to stick with one just to do it (especially if it isn't working). Every carrier in my area is good (except Sprint) but I am on Verizon at the moment. I have a good deal with their unlimited plan they offered before they did all this Go, Beyond, and Above stuff. I pay a pretty cheap price and have great coverage so hard for me to complain.

A lot of my buddies have T-Mobile and I had them before I swapped to Verizon (1 1/2 years ago). No complaints really.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
My rate is pretty reasonable for unlimited with Verizon, so I don’t have a reason to switch. That employee deal with T-Mobile looks really nice though, but in NYC Big Red & AT&T rule...especially in the hospitals (where I work), in the subway stations, & on the trains.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I’m a few days in with T-Mobile and I’m really happy. I’ve conducted several speed tests in different locations (home, work, at the mall, in the basement of a commercial building, etc.) and surprisingly I’m getting better results than I ever did with Verizon. Being on unlimited data is awesome. I love knowing that I can stream whatever I want wherever I want without having to worry about overages.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I’m a few days in with T-Mobile and I’m really happy. I’ve conducted several speed tests in different locations (home, work, at the mall, in the basement of a commercial building, etc.) and surprisingly I’m getting better results than I ever did with Verizon. Being on unlimited data is awesome. I love knowing that I can stream whatever I want wherever I want without having to worry about overages.

What kinda hotspot speeds do you get? I’ve been toying with the idea of switching myself.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
What kinda hotspot speeds do you get? I’ve been toying with the idea of switching myself.

Haven’t tested that yet but I will when I get a chance. My plan gives me LTE speeds for the first 10 GB of mobile hotspot and 3G after that so I’m assuming I’ll have good results until I hit that LTE cap.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I’m on the first unlimited plan Verizon recently introduced when they first brought it back. So price and feature-wise, I’m actually pretty good. I’ve always been hesitant about t mobile in my area because I don’t know anyone with them. I’ve never known someone with them. I’ve looked into them but the lack of a strong customer base in my area has always worried me. Glad it seems to be working for you! The Unlimited plan I’ve got gives a lot of what you’re getting. Differences being 15 GB LTE hotspot on mine and no Netflix, DIGITS and I don’t believe I have the international stuff.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I’m on the first unlimited plan Verizon recently introduced when they first brought it back. So price and feature-wise, I’m actually pretty good. I’ve always been hesitant about t mobile in my area because I don’t know anyone with them. I’ve never known someone with them. I’ve looked into them but the lack of a strong customer base in my area has always worried me. Glad it seems to be working for you! The Unlimited plan I’ve got gives a lot of what you’re getting. Differences being 15 GB LTE hotspot on mine and no Netflix, DIGITS and I don’t believe I have the international stuff.

I should’ve jumped on unlimited then. The stuff you have seems to be on the upper tier unlimited plan and costs an additional 30 bucks/month or so.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I should’ve jumped on unlimited then. The stuff you have seems to be on the upper tier unlimited plan and costs an additional 30 bucks/month or so.

Yea that’s exactly what it is. It’s basically the top tier unlimited for a lower price. Which is why I’m not moving for anything lol.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
With T-Mobile, I pay $120 tax included for 4 lines of unlimited. We get LTE tethering up to 10 GB’s per line. There was a promo awhile back to add on the LTE tethering at no cost. You just have to watch the promos to get free add ons.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox