Traveling To Russia

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm heading to Russia in a couple of days and was planning on just using wifi whenever available but I've been looking into getting a SIM card for data, mainly for SM, WhatsApp and picture uploads.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Is the Verizon iPhone 7 unlocked? Can I use a sim for a GSM network or does it have to be CDMA?

Thanks guys

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Yes the Verizon iPhone 7 should be unlocked, and yes it should work with any GSM carrier in Russia or anywhere in Europe. As a side note IF you had T-Mobile you would get free data (at reduced but acceptable speeds) and free texting in most of Europe, Russia included. :) I used it in Barcelona in February for GPS and simple web browsing AND for messaging (I used BBM but Whatsapp would have worked also)

Here's some info on buying a local prepaid SIM in Russia....

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Russia

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes the Verizon iPhone 7 should be unlocked, and yes it should work with any GSM carrier in Russia or anywhere in Europe. As a side note IF you had T-Mobile you would get free data (at reduced but acceptable speeds) and free texting in most of Europe, Russia included. :) I used it in Barcelona in February for GPS and simple web browsing AND for messaging (I used BBM but Whatsapp would have worked also)

Here's some info on buying a local prepaid SIM in Russia....

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Russia

Thanks for the info!!

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: I followed the advice given on a link provided above. I bought a SIM from Cellular Provider MTS. I bought it at the Airport in Moscow because it was cheap enough. I paid 700 Rubles ($16 USD) for 10GB of Data and unlimited talk/text. It was $20 for unlimited data but I thought 10GB was enough (it wasn't). Best money ever spent. I did a Speedtest and here are the results
2344dfc2deebdf80bd28da4ebb7121e5.png

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Buying a local SIM card while abroad may prove being cheaper even for one day.
Thanks for the update and I hope you had a good time in Russia.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hello please can you help me with my ipad when i inset sim it says no service some time it comes and go.

Can you give me a little more context? Are you talking about travel to Russia and using a data SIM you bought there? Or is this something else? What carrier are we talking about? What kind of account?

kofislov24

Jun 28, 2017
Visit site
No please am not taking about travel to Russia this is something else
Am in Ghana and i bought ipad before is not like that but later when i inset sim then no service

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Contact your carrier and ask if your SIM card is still registered.

Right you need to contact the carrier and make sure you have the right kind of SIM and that you have the right kind of plan often tablets need a special plan and the rates are different than the phone rates since you are only using data.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Right you need to contact the carrier and make sure you have the right kind of SIM and that you have the right kind of plan often tablets need a special plan and the rates are different than the phone rates since you are only using data.

The SIM has to be activated by the carrier before it can be used. Took about 20mins to get it activated at the airport. They also asked for my passport to link my SIM to it. I'm guessing if phone # was used for nefarious reasons then they can trace it back to someone which makes sense.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Where in the airport should you look for the SIM card offices? I’m landing into Moscow but a different airport next week

At the airports I landed in (Moscow, Kazan, St. Petersburg) after you retrieve you luggage at baggage claim and you exit into the “arrivals hall” just before you exit the airport there were small kiosks with phone companies and tour companies that were selling stuff. Just look for MTS or MTC mobile company logo. That’s the one I used and o had no issues with their LTE or in all 3 cities I visited.

Good luck and enjoy your trip

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711