Is 2.5Ghz worth the phone upgrade?

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone!

My wife and I are in Atlanta, GA and are looking at moving our AT&T lines over to Sprint with the goal of saving money. Given that, we have thought about letting Sprint pay off my iPhone 6+ (64GB) and selling my wife's (paid off) iPhone 6 (64GB) and purchasing two iPhone 5s' through Sprint's monthly plan.

Background Info (skip if you like):
We currently pay $133 for AT&T for 7GB of data, including my iPhone 6+ payment. Through Sprint's 50% off promotion, we would get 2 lines with 15GB for $65 plus whatever phones we decide. The iPhone 5s' are $12.50 a piece, meaning our bill would be $90 (plus taxes), including 2 phones.

Problem is, I just realized that Sprint LTE 2.5ghz band (their LTE Plus band) is not supported by the iPhone 5s. It would be an extra $20 (or $110 plus taxes) for two iPhone 6's. Given that we would be also downgrading to 16GB models, its not really worth changing phone companies for that little of savings (maybe $10 savings), so that is probably out.

(Resume Here) So my question (finally) is: Is the 2.5ghz LTE "Plus" band really worth it? We don't really need super fast speeds - just enough to watch youtube or FaceTime on occasion, but we are primarily wondering if the coverage range is THAT much better or do you think we would be fine with regular LTE?

Also, just another thought, but It's possible that we could wait for the 5se, which hopefully will support the frequency, but I am expecting it to at least be $5 more per month, per line, again eating into any savings of switching.

Any input is appreciated... Thanks in advance!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Richard. It very much depends on your geographic location. AT&T has a better reputation nationally from a coverage perspective. Obviously, watching YouTube or making FaceTime calls don't really require a higher level of service than what you're currently receiving, so I don't really see any value in "LTE Plus" at this point in time.
I would ask people you know who have Sprint how their service is before making any unnecessary changes.

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the update Estroh.

Just as an update for us: We decided to go with two iPhone SE's on the 50% Off Sprint plan.

Plan: $50 for 15gb
Lines: $7.50 x 2
Phones: $16.63 x 2
Total per month: $98.26 plus tax (~$12)

Not bad for 15gb of data!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2