What is an "unlocked" iPhone, and can I use it on verizon's network?

SpikeJones

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi iMore!

This is my first post on the forums, and I wanted to start off by asking a few questions before hopefully transitioning from android-->ios.

I just wanted to know what exactly it means when a phone is unlocked, and if it can be used on verizon's network.

I want to buy a used iPhone 6 plus from somewhere, such as Swappa (as I have had good experiences with it in the past with buying android phones), and have been keeping my eye on verizon devices, but have also been looking at unlocked devices which seem to be more in number, and better in price.

I have read some of the forum posts and things online, but I am still confused as to whether or not an unlocked iPhone 6 plus will work on verizon at all.

I have read in some places that one can move their verizon sim card from their android phone to their new iphone, but my Note 4 has a micro SIM card, while the iphone 6 plus uses a nano sim card (if I recall correctly). I have also read on other websites that I would need to call verizon to have them activate it (or something?) or I would have to go online to Verizon's website to see if the specific iPhone device can work on the network, which would be difficult as I won't have the phone itself until I buy it, and I don't want to buy it if it won't work.

From experience, what is my best option?

TL;DR: can I buy an unlocked iphone 6 plus and use it with my verizon sim card that is in my note 4 (or somehow get a new nano sim card) without a huge amount of hassle

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
An unlocked iPhone, in this regard, means the phone is not locked to a particular wireless carrier. Having said that, all Verizon brand iPhone devices (iPhone 5 and newer, I think) all come factory unlocked so being that you are already a VZW customer, try to buy a Verizon brand iPhone.

SpikeJones

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
An unlocked iPhone, in this regard, means the phone is not locked to a particular wireless carrier. Having said that, all Verizon brand iPhone devices (iPhone 5 and newer, I think) all come factory unlocked so being that you are already a VZW customer, try to buy a Verizon brand iPhone.

I probably will end up purchasing a verizon brand iPhone, but I wanted to explore and I guess understand all my options just in case. I have seen a few unlocked iphone 6 plus' cheaper than verizon brand ones, so I wanted to know if that was a possible option

coldRooster

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Any iPhone 6 and up will work on Verizon's network. So you can get any iPhone 6 and it'll work. If you go to a corporate Verizon they'll switch your sim card for free.

RichardJTesla

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Remember if the iPhone is locked to a certain carrier you need to get it unlocked by the carrier it's locked to first, otherwise it will tell you invalid Sim.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal