Does anyone want wifi calling on iPhone?

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
No I don't want WiFi calling on the iPhone. If I have WiFi access I would rather use FaceTime audio, Skype or another app to make phone calls.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
No I don't want WiFi calling on the iPhone. If I have WiFi access I would rather use FaceTime audio, Skype or another app to make phone calls.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Why?

Sent from my iRiidium rMini LTE

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I personally have no need for WiFi calling on my phone. No need.

Me either. I'm fortunate to have AT&T...and since my idea of camping is a night at the Hilton I don't expect to be anywhere the unlimited calling wouldn't work. ...but if you've got Sprint or T-Mobile I can understand how wifi calling would be useful on the iPhone since their networks can often leave something to be desired.

Sent from my titanium rMini LTE

SWH73

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I do.

Everyone says just use FaceTime, which is great for the iOS eco system. I'm not knocking it. I use it all the time, and it works great. I manage a team of technical folks and it works wonders internationally from any Apple device.

But what about when you want to call someone who uses a non-Apple Device, or, dare I say it, a feature phone? FaceTime won't get you there. Sure you can use a 3rd party app, but that requires installation of software, possibly paying for airtime, dealing with ads, or requiring the other person to have the same app installed.

While it works, it's a crappy experience. You end up with 5 or 6 different voice apps (Hangouts, Skype, Viber, BBM, What's App, FB Messenger, etc.) that you have to keep on your device and then keep track of which of your contacts use each of the above apps. Who wants that? Sure doesn't sound like an elegant user experience to me.

WiFi Calling on iOS 8 beta 3 (only available on the iPhone 5S and T-Mobile) makes all of the the above mess go away.

It's a beautiful solution that embedded in the OS and requires no overhead for apps / storage. Just dial from your contacts on wifi and you are golden. You won't be tied to the iOS ecosystem (not that there's anything wrong with it), and it can be used in places where cell signal is weak.

It also means I no longer need an mCell repeater in my house, which saves me another $20.00 bucks a month.

Lots to like about WiFi calling from where I'm standing....

I've attached some screen shots to show the feature in the latest beta build of iOS 8 b3. Hopefully y'all won't rat me out for possibly violating my TOS for my Developer account.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.PNG
    IMG_0004.PNG
    107.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0002.PNG
    IMG_0002.PNG
    87 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0001.PNG
    IMG_0001.PNG
    110.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0003.PNG
    IMG_0003.PNG
    56.3 KB · Views: 36

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My carrier uses HSDPA(21 Mbps network) for calling and my calls on my iPhone are pretty clear (plus if I remember correctly my carrier supports the HD voice feature on the iPhone). For me it doesn't make a difference since I have a full signal in my house.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch (beta testing) using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods