** Has anyone noticed that using LTE will most likely get you at $10 per GB overage charge? I am anticipating this charge as I am already at 4.7GB on a 5GB plan with 7 days to go on AT&T. I think I will stick with HSPA+ unless I really need that speed increase. What about the rest of you? Are you experiencing this as well?
    11-08-2013 10:49 AM
    You burn through data faster when you have a faster connection. It's all how you use it, I switched to T-Mobiles unlimited data because of this and have been very happy. Although my LTE is a bit slower, I don't have to worry about hitting a cap. At least for my usage pattern.
    offdahglass likes this.
    11-08-2013 10:51 AM
    I've yet to go over my 4 GB limit and I share that amount with one of my sons. Even if I weren't on Wi-Fi the majority of the time, I doubt I'd go over that amount because I rarely stream or do anything that require a significant amount of data when I'm away from home.
    offdahglass likes this.
    11-08-2013 10:54 AM
    LTE is not eating more data than normal 3G/4G...you're just using more of it because you're browsing more because it's faster. And yes, I have regularly gone over at least once since getting the iPhone 5 last year and getting LTE (I'm on the 4GB AT&T plan). I tether mine all day every day that I'm at work so that's why mine goes over...my wife doesn't use hers nearly as much and has never gone over since buying the iPhone 5.
    offdahglass likes this.
    11-08-2013 11:41 AM
    I don't trust AT&T billing. I started on a 4gb plan and went over, upped my plan and and never changed my usage and still went over. I went to a 10gb plan, never changed usage and 2 weeks in I was over, not possible as all I did was Facebook, twitter, browse some websites and tapatalk. I changed carriers and do more including streaming music and did not come oar to 3gb. Needless to say I question AT&T billing

Sent from my iPhone 5s on Virgin Mobile using Tapatalk - now Free
    11-08-2013 11:46 AM
    I share 10GB of data with my friend and we go over consistently. I think this will be the first month we don't. We had to go up to 16GB in September, because we were burning through the data like crazy. I can't say I had that issue when I owned a 3G phone. I blame the fact that the slower speeds made me use my phone less because I was so impatient.
    11-08-2013 11:46 AM
    I don't trust AT&T billing. I started on a 4gb plan and went over, upped my plan and and never changed my usage and still went over. I went to a 10gb plan, never changed usage and 2 weeks in I was over, not possible as all I did was Facebook, twitter, browse some websites and tapatalk. I changed carriers and do more including streaming music and did not come oar to 3gb. Needless to say I question AT&T billing

Sent from my iPhone 5s on Virgin Mobile using Tapatalk - now Free
    I've yet to see any nefarious billing practices having working for AT&T for just shy of five years. You went over.
    11-08-2013 11:54 AM
    I've yet to see any nefarious billing practices having working for AT&T for just shy of five years. You went over.
    I've see plenty of erroneous data counting practices from AT&T (even having an iPhone that supposedly used over 200MB of data while it was powered down and the SIM card removed while me and my wife went on vacation)...so it's very possible that it was inaccurate. There is a plethora of complaints regarding this relating to almost every carriers data usage monitoring methods, and none of them have been able to give a firm answer on the issue because why would they? They make money on it.

AT&T's billing side isn't doing anything wrong...they're simply billing for the shown usage. It's the way they allocate data usage for the devices that is the problem...and it's not just the iPhone, almost every single smart phone on the market that would have a higher data usage than a regular phone has complaints in this regard. It's the formula used to figure the usage that is the problem, because it has holes.
    11-08-2013 11:56 AM
    Thread moved to the carrier lounge for further discussion.

Sent from my iPhone 5S.
    11-08-2013 12:51 PM
    I've see plenty of erroneous data counting practices from AT&T (even having an iPhone that supposedly used over 200MB of data while it was powered down and the SIM card removed while me and my wife went on vacation)...so it's very possible that it was inaccurate. There is a plethora of complaints regarding this relating to almost every carriers data usage monitoring methods, and none of them have been able to give a firm answer on the issue because why would they? They make money on it.

AT&T's billing side isn't doing anything wrong...they're simply billing for the shown usage. It's the way they allocate data usage for the devices that is the problem...and it's not just the iPhone, almost every single smart phone on the market that would have a higher data usage than a regular phone has complaints in this regard. It's the formula used to figure the usage that is the problem, because it has holes.
    I guess I can't say I've seen anything like that personally. Certainly heard/read plenty of stories. But after dealing with probably 20,000+ AT&T customers in the last 5 years, I haven't ever seen any true nefarious data usage.
    11-08-2013 03:12 PM
    I had sprint for 12 years. Left them 45 days ago. Complete our first cycle with AT&T. 2 5s and 1 5c on our 6gb mobile share data plan. Used phones normally like we would with sprint. Yeah now we using more data since now we can use data LoL. Wifi at work and house. Even trying hard we ended up using 4.2 GB.

...via iPhone5S from Tapatalk...
    11-08-2013 06:31 PM
    I have an android device on sprint and my iphone on ATT. I went through my 5GB allotment a good ten days before my cycle ended.

When you have good service and data speeds you are going to use it. With sprint I spent half my time in a horrible area where 4G was limited and the 3G sucked. So I couldn't use 5GB of data if I wanted to. But when I use my sprint phone in a good area I easily have racked up 7-15GB in a month.
    11-14-2013 03:26 AM