question on AT&T iphone 5S

chocolateyum

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a family plan through AT&T. I want to get two iphone 5s's tommorrow using my 2 eligible upgrades. I'm actually going to sell the new iphone 5ss and my sisters' (who's lines on my plan are the ones that are up for upgrade) will continue to use their current iphone 5 and Galaxy S4s,

Unfortunately, my sister's can't come with me tommorrow. I assume their phones are going to go dead when I buy the new iphones.

1. How can I get my sister's phones reactivated if I don't have their simcards with me tommorrow?

2. Do they have to do something to be able to use their old phones again?

3. I assume I can't sell the new iphones until they get their phones reactivated, is that right or wrong? I'd like to sell asap of course.

4. Would I make more money on the phones if I unlock them and if so, how would I do that?

5. When I sell the new iphones, do I just not send the new buyer the simcards in order to keep them from using my plan?

Probably dumb questions but I'm new at this. Family short on money right now so need to sell.

Thanks.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Why not just skip buying and not spend the money at all instead of gaming the system?

How is that gaming the system ? He is buying the phones and paying for 2 new 2 year contracts.Who is that gaming ? Himself maybe since he won't have the newest phone.

To answer the question. I did the same thing last year with the 5 and my wife was still using a 3GS and didn't care what phone she was using. They activated the 5 and then had to deactivate the sim on the 3GS which I had with me. I guess you could just ask them to do the same but activate blank SIM cards so you can have them for the other phones. As far as unlocking, I'm not sure if you could unlock the new phones after reactivating the old ones. If you have ATT I know that you can try and do it online. It may take a little time for the network to recognize that the old phones are being used for the other lines

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thread moved to the Carrier lounge for better exposure.

Sent from my iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app

chocolateyum

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot Jerome g.

I'd feel like we were cheating ourselves off if I didn't pick up the upgrades we paid for with the contracts (plus both me and my sister are at risk for losing our jobs right now and I'm also picking up a used iphone for my mom). Keeping a fancy new phone when we may lose our jobs doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
It screws the rep that sells you the phones, they could be responsible for the full retail of the devices since you're removing them from your account. If you're comfortable with screwing someone for your own personal gain, go for it!

chocolateyum

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
It screws the rep that sells you the phones, they could be responsible for the full retail of the devices since you're removing them from your account. If you're comfortable with screwing someone for your own personal gain, go for it!

I'm not exactly sure how I'm screwing the rep over. I did exactly what Jerome suggested (though didn't unlock phone).

I am still keeping the upgrade contract with AT&T. The rep even knows I'm not using the phone cause I told him we were going to keep using the old phones and specifically had him activate our old phones. With me selling phone, AT&T doesn't even have to worry about the manufacturer's warranty since the new buyer doesn't get to keep that.

Seems like win win to me.

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I understand that you're not sure why you're screwing him, that is why I'm telling you. Also, the rep is probably new and doesn't realize the risk he's taking. When AT&T realizes the phones are not on the account anymore, he could be charged full retail out of his paycheck.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

That makes little sense. The goal for the rep is to get the customer to sign a two year contract.

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
That makes little sense. The goal for the rep is to get the customer to sign a two year contract.

I understand that it doesn't make perfect sense, but AT&T doesn't have to justify itself to us reps when it initiates and enforces a policy. Something like this is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of all the policies AT&T can and often does enforce on us.

chocolateyum

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Sorry don't know how to quote someone else but are you sure you weren't screwed over yourself Totalimmortal363?

I ended up telling the sales rep that sold me the phone that I was going to resell the phone just so I could do one more double check to make sure I wouldn't have any issues reselling it.

Sales rep didn't have any problems with me reselling the phone.

Also, I had terrible luck selling on ebay. The buyer claimed the phone I sold was a fake with an imei number that was blacklisted. Fortunately he didn't submit the claim until after 45 days which is the time limit for making claims. Otherwise, ebay told me I would have lost the case cause they would have no way to know whether the phone was really a fake or not. When in doubt, they rule in favor of the buyer. I would have had to issue him a refund though he would have to send me back the phone. Of course, a scammer like him could send me back a fake phone instead so then I would be screwed.

Never selling on ebay ever again. I might still sell on craigslist if I'm desperate for money. I'd meet inside a bank though and deposit money right away with a teller.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW