unusal goals

mkgw

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I have an unusal question. I would like to buy an iPhone for my daughter. We agreed that she would use the phone only for calling, some texting, and using some educational apps. She is ok with not accessing the internet. But it must be an iPhone.

I also need a cell phone (currently have one). I too need only the ability to call and text. I don't care about which phone I have.

What is the most cost effective way for me to have two cell phones (one of which must be an iPhone), with just the ability to call and text, and get apps into the iPhone (I do have an iMac with internet connection at home)?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
First of all, you must get a data plan for your smartphones and you will be charged accordingly. I'm referring to Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, & T-mobile. Anyway, I recommend you buy an iPhone 4S for the both of you as we'll as a shared data plan. 4GB should be more than sufficient. You can set restrictions on your daughter's iPhone in the settings menu. I hope I was helpful to you.

mkgw

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
But I don't need the data plan. I don't mind getting 2 iPhones. I think they are great phones.

Also, can the setting (internet access) be easily changed? or is there a password lock available?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You can't get an iPhone without a data plan. yes, setting restrictions is very easy to do, and can be protected by a pass code.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You can't get an iPhone without a data plan. yes, setting restrictions is very easy to do, and can be protected by a pass code.

Actually you can now with AT&T's new prepaid smartphone plans. You see I have both of my kids using iPhones on the $25 plan. This includes 250 Nationwide calls, unlimited text, picture and video. With this plan you are NOT required to purchase a data plan so I didn't. I told the reps who set up their plans that the kids would use WiFi only for when they needed data.... This plan is the best as it allows both them to use iPhones and my husband and I only pay $50 a month for both plans.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 2

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have an unusal question. I would like to buy an iPhone for my daughter. We agreed that she would use the phone only for calling, some texting, and using some educational apps. She is ok with not accessing the internet. But it must be an iPhone.

I also need a cell phone (currently have one). I too need only the ability to call and text. I don't care about which phone I have.

What is the most cost effective way for me to have two cell phones (one of which must be an iPhone), with just the ability to call and text, and get apps into the iPhone (I do have an iMac with internet connection at home)?

Your best bet is what I stated above. AT&T's prepaid smartphone plans. You can get the $25/month plan with an iPhone and are not required to add a data plan if you don't want to. This is the plan that I have with both of my kids. My daughter is using the iPhone 4 and my son is using the iPhone 4S.

Here is a link to the plans if you would like to check them out: https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...ss%2Fplans%2Fprepaidplans.html&token=NFIrURDj

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much!

BTW, did you have to buy your phones at Apple or could you get the subsidized phones from ATT? Thanks again!

You are welcome. :) you can purchase an unlocked iPhone at Apple or one of AT&T's iPhones, however, prepaid users do not qualify for any discounts. Therefore you would be paying full retail for whichever one you decide to get. I gave my daughter my old iPhone 4 to use and my son's iPhone 4S was purchased from eBay which looked like it was new. If I were you this is what I would do as it will save you from paying full retail for one.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
just purchased an iPhone 4s 16 GB unlocked for $365 on ebay. (did I overpay?) will go to ATT store next week.

No, that is about the same price that I paid for my son's 4S. His also came with a lifeproof case.

mkgw

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
thanks again. btw, it's my daughter's birthday today. this is her gift. and, coincidentally, she is half-Irish and is in Ireland (tramore, waterford) at the moment.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2