Verizon 3G 'Unlimited Data' throttled in 'high traffic' area

therealwags

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Please help as I'm about at my wits end in dealing with Verizon on what I think is a rather odd issue.

Brief background:
While listening to SiriusXM App at my work location, the app would 'buffer' frequently and stop playing periodically with a message 'Data connection lost'. This seems to only happen at this particular location. I had rebooted (countless times), uninstalled and reinstalled app, contacted SiriusXM & Verizon customer service depts all to no avail. This has been going on for 6-8 months. At one point, every time I would contact Verizon I would be given a different reason for this happening.

The last time I was advised the reason was because: I was on 3G, in a high traffic / usage area, and a 'high data user'. I was further advised that Verizon has no plans to expand or upgrade their network in the city where I work (I live & work in the Phoenix metropolitan area). Even though we (2 phones) use around 2GB data per month (usually less), we're considered 'high data', which doesn't sound correct to me.

The resolution posed to me was to do 1 of the following:
  • Switch to an LTE phone, as LTE can handle more data (and thus have us use more data, thus costing us more in the end)
  • Change to a 'Share Everything Plan' which would supposedly remove us from the 'high data user' pool

Both of which would cost us more money. To me, it sounds like nothing more than a money grab scheme from Verizon.

Has anyone experienced / heard of any issues like this? Does this even sound right? Is there anything we can do?

Thanks in advance

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I can't see it being a throttling issue when it is only occurring at one particular location. To me, it seems more of a signal issue, but I could be wrong.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I can't see it being a throttling issue when it is only occurring at one particular location. To me, it seems more of a signal issue, but I could be wrong.
It could easily be throttling - on a single cell tower sector - that would manifest itself in one location.

therealwags

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
It could easily be throttling - on a single cell tower sector - that would manifest itself in one location.

Customer service said there were 2 towers in the area.
My wife reminded me that the happens at at least one other location as well; near an outdoor shopping mall.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to resolve this issue?

I get throttled pretty much all month long due to my heavy data usage. It sucks but I refuse to switch to a tiered plan.

It helps me sometimes to reset the network if I'm coming from work which is a metro area to home which is in the middle of nowhere.

therealwags

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I get throttled pretty much all month long due to my heavy data usage. It sucks but I refuse to switch to a tiered plan.

It helps me sometimes to reset the network if I'm coming from work which is a metro area to home which is in the middle of nowhere.
Out of curiosity, what is your monthly data usage? 3G or LTE? Ours is usually around 2GB/month for 2 phones on 3G and we're both experiencing this issue. I'm just finding it difficult to believe that at 2GB/month we're in the high data use range, tho I guess anything is possible.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Verizon has gone on record and stated that if you are a high usage user (without mentioning what high usage is), you will be throttled at a particular location if it is also at high usage. Of course if you leave that high usage area, you'll be fine. I am wondering what would happen at that location if you used it at midnight, which you probably won't do. The good thing is that they don't throttle you for the rest of the billing cycle like AT&T does.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, what is your monthly data usage? 3G or LTE? Ours is usually around 2GB/month for 2 phones on 3G and we're both experiencing this issue. I'm just finding it difficult to believe that at 2GB/month we're in the high data use range, tho I guess anything is possible.

I use between 4-8 GB a month. I start getting throttled after 1GB and throttled to the point of not being able to use my phone after 3.

Verizon has gone on record and stated that if you are a high usage user (without mentioning what high usage is), you will be throttled at a particular location if it is also at high usage. Of course if you leave that high usage area, you'll be fine. I am wondering what would happen at that location if you used it at midnight, which you probably won't do. The good thing is that they don't throttle you for the rest of the billing cycle like AT&T does.

High usage probably means if you use your phone at all you're gonna get throttled. :)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would think it has to be the location vs the amount of data. My brother in law has used 20 gigs in one month ( Netflix) and did not get throttled he did get a warning text but that's it

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2