Will Apple/Verizon replace this phone?

drseacat

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello; One of the iPhone 5s on my business account suffered a badly cracked screen a few weeks ago. I do not have insurance on this phone and had decided to live with it. Yesterday, the phone started having battery life problems, losing charge quickly. If I contact verizon, will they ship out a replacement since it is under one year old and having battery problems even though it has a cracked screen? Thanks!

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
1. Your have a iPhone 5, not a iPhone 5s as it is not out yet or confirmed it will be called that....

2. Damaged to the device does not warrant a replacement.. You can have it repaired by Apple. But it will cost you.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Hello; One of the iPhone 5s on my business account suffered a badly cracked screen a few weeks ago. I do not have insurance on this phone and had decided to live with it. Yesterday, the phone started having battery life problems, losing charge quickly. If I contact verizon, will they ship out a replacement since it is under one year old and having battery problems even though it has a cracked screen? Thanks!

Verizon absolutely will not do anything. Apple may replace it for a fee. The warranty does cover broken screens unless you have Apple Care+.

drseacat

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. iPhone 5s was iPhone 5 plural, I know there is not a 5S yet. So, basically, I'm out of luck with my battery life issue?

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Can't hurt to try. Call Apple and see what they say.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Visit an Apple Store if you can. I've seen sell people an iPhone at greatly reduced prices to replace a broken one. Your only hope is that the genius you deal with is in a good mood that day.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Why not? What is the harm in calling Apple and asking?

Calling would be a waste of time... because someone would have to look at the phone to determine what might need to be done. An Apple store may fix for a fee or replace for a fee... none of that would happen over the phone.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Calling would be a waste of time... because someone would have to look at the phone to determine what might need to be done. An Apple store may fix for a fee or replace for a fee... none of that would happen over the phone.
What happens when people don't live near an Apple store? They call and get service on their device by mail, correct?

Most cities don't have an Apple store to take the device to.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Visit an Apple Store if you can. I've seen sell people an iPhone at greatly reduced prices to replace a broken one. Your only hope is that the genius you deal with is in a good mood that day.

So only people who live in cities where there are apple stores get service on their devices? Lots of cities don't have apple stores.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Apple - Legal - Hardware Warranties

[h=2]WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY?[/h] This Warranty does not apply to any non-Apple branded hardware products or any software, even if packaged or sold with Apple hardware. Manufacturers, suppliers, or publishers, other than Apple, may provide their own warranties to you – please contact them for further information. Software distributed by Apple with or without the Apple brand (including, but not limited to system software) is not covered by this Warranty. Please refer to the licensing agreement accompanying the software for details of your rights with respect to its use. Apple does not warrant that the operation of the Apple Product will be uninterrupted or error-free. Apple is not responsible for damage arising from failure to follow instructions relating to the Apple Product’s use.
This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product.
[h=2]IMPORTANT RESTRICTION FOR iPHONE AND iPAD SERVICE.[/h] Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone and iPad to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device.

[h=2]WARRANTY SERVICE OPTIONS[/h] Apple will provide warranty service through one or more of the following options:
(i) Carry-in service. You may return your Apple Product to an Apple Retail or AASP location offering carry-in service. Service will be performed at the location, or Apple Retail or an AASP may send your Apple Product to an Apple Repair Service (“ARS”) location to be serviced. Once you are notified that service is complete, you will promptly retrieve the Apple Product from the Apple Retail or AASP location, or the Apple Product will be sent directly to your location from the ARS location.
(ii) Mail-in service. If Apple determines that your Apple Product is eligible for mail-in service, Apple will send you prepaid waybills and if applicable, packaging material, so that you may ship your Apple Product to an ARS or AASP location in accordance with Apple’s instructions. Once service is complete, the ARS or AASP location will return the Apple Product to you. Apple will pay for shipping to and from your location if all instructions are followed.
(iii) Do-it-yourself (DIY) parts service. DIY parts service allows you to service your own Apple Product. If DIY parts service is available in the circumstances, the following process will apply.
(a) Service where Apple requires return of the replaced Apple Product or part. Apple may require a credit card authorization as security for the retail price of the replacement Apple Product or part and applicable shipping costs. If you are unable to provide credit card authorization, DIY parts service may not be available to you and Apple will offer alternative arrangements for service. Apple will ship a replacement Apple Product or part to you with installation instructions, if applicable, and any requirements for the return of the replaced Apple Product or part. If you follow the instructions, Apple will cancel the credit card authorization, so you will not be charged for the Apple Product or part and shipping to and from your location. If you fail to return the replaced Apple Product or part as instructed or return a replaced Apple Product or part that is ineligible for service, Apple will charge your credit card for the authorized amount.
(b) Service where Apple does not require return of the replaced Apple Product or part. Apple will ship you free of charge a replacement Apple Product or part accompanied by instructions on installation, if applicable, and any requirements for the disposal of the replaced Apple Product or part.
(c) Apple is not responsible for any labor costs you incur relating to DIY parts service. Should you require further assistance, contact Apple at the telephone number listed below.
Apple reserves the right to change the method by which Apple may provide warranty service to you, and your Apple Product’s eligibility to receive a particular method of service. Service will be limited to the options available in the country where service is requested. Service options, parts availability and response times may vary according to country. You may be responsible for shipping and handling charges if the Apple Product cannot be serviced in the country it is in. If you seek service in a country that is not the original country of purchase, you will comply with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges. Where international service is available, Apple may repair or replace Apple Products and parts with comparable Apple Product and parts that comply with local standards.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so the warranty does apply to the battery but not the broken glass. And you don't have to take it into an apple store (obviously since there isn't an apple store in every city); warranty service can be by mail.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Except for in this case, it could be determined that the drop that broke the glass also damaged the battery (or maybe disconnected it from the main board), in which case the battery issue is not covered under warranty.
That is Apple's call to make, which was my point from the beginning. OP said battery was fine after the drop and he was willing to live with broken glass. Sometime later, the battery had problems.

There doesn't appear to be a temporal relationship between the drop and the battery issues. They may or may not be related. Apple can decided how they want to proceed. So it is worth a call to see what they will say.

Apple has no proof the battery issue is due to the drop until they inspect the phone. Then based on the evidence they find, they can decide whether or not to replace the battery under a warranty claim. At that time, they also can offer to have him pay to have the glass replaced.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Knowing Apple's record with customer service, I would say that they will fix the battery issue, and probably offer to replace the phone for a fee in the range of $200. This needs to take place in an Apple store, though. The store may have to send it to Apple for the battery problem, if you decide not to trade.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
This needs to take place in an Apple store, though.
I don't agree. If he lives rural Montana, they are not going to make him drive 100's of miles to the closest store. In fact, if you just don't want to go to a store even if there is one in your town they will offer you mail-in service.

Those of you posting here must live by stores. I can assure you, Apple does not make you drive to a store to get service on your phone. They offer mail in service. You just have to call them and they will walk you through your options for mail-in service.

Here is a list of the Apple stores. Do you realize how far some iPhone users live from a store?

Apple Retail Store - Store List

As the other poster posted, mail-in service is available. Just call.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple is known for covering a lot of human error through their warranty system...and I'd say it's certainly worth checking with them if the battery is having issues, but don't be at all surprised if you end up being told that repairs to the iPhone's battery will be coming at least partially out of pocket. The screen is definitely not going to be covered by warranty, but i think you knew that already.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73