3G speeds increase?

Shaggdman

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Can someone tell me if Verizon's 3G speeds will increase as more people go to 4G?I just can't give up my unlimited data for a different phone and don't want to pay full price,so I was hoping for a speed increase.Thanks in advance

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
It won't speed up much, if any at all. Verizon's 3G speeds are capped by the ability of the CDMA protocol that is used. CDMA maxes out at pretty low speeds. So if you're already getting around 2 Mbps DL speed, you won't see a jump. If its slower than that, you could theoretically see an uptick if tons of people switch and Verizon keeps all the 3G towers running.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It won't speed up much, if any at all. Verizon's 3G speeds are capped by the ability of the CDMA protocol that is used. CDMA maxes out at pretty low speeds. So if you're already getting around 2 Mbps DL speed, you won't see a jump. If its slower than that, you could theoretically see an uptick if tons of people switch and Verizon keeps all the 3G towers running.

3G CDMA ain't going away soon... as of last October, Verizon was reported as saying CDMA will sunset "by 2021".

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
probably not as many as you seem to think.

They are rolling back 3G weekly. Their expected full transition from 3G was last stated to be late 2015. If they keep up their schedule, they will have 100% LTE coverage by early 2014. Their 4G coverage is expected to eclipse 3G sometime in the middle of this year.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
3G is slated to be completely shuttered by 2021, however, Verizon execs have stated that depending on adoption and 4G coverage, this date could come much earlier. It should be interesting to see how it goes. With over 50% of smartphones on Verizon running 4G, they could easily begin rapid 3G shutdown in 2015-16.

Good OL MC

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
3G is slated to be completely shuttered by 2021, however, Verizon execs have stated that depending on adoption and 4G coverage, this date could come much earlier. It should be interesting to see how it goes. With over 50% of smartphones on Verizon running 4G, they could easily begin rapid 3G shutdown in 2015-16.

Wouldn't that also depend on how quickly they could implement VoLTE? Or am I crossing standards in my head?

But to answer the original question: as more people move to LTE you ideally see better 3G speeds. How long this is even useful for you has already been put up for discussion, but I'd also add that one way or another you'll have to bite that bullet at some point.

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Maybe this explains why my 3g in SE Michigan is so horrible. I've tested it with the speed test app on my iPhone in multiple well populated areas and see excessively slow speeds all over the board. 48kbps, 390kbps, 256kbps, 475kpbs well u get the idea.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR