New I-phone 4s traded for a New Galaxy S3

Bluth22

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if this would be a good trade and a trade worth doing?
I have a I phone 4s, and could possible trade it for a galaxy S3. I have had
and used iphones for a while now and wouldn't mind trying an android on the
sprint network. This would def help me see if sprints network is better by using
an android or apple device. If both don't work out to my liking, than i would want to
try a new carrier. what do you guys think about this; please let me know.
Thanks,
Bluth

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't advise you to trade your iphone for an android phone of any flavor but thats because im mildly prejudice. If your main concern is sprints network then just get out now because all of the other major networks are vastly superior to it. Whether or not this so called "network vision" will change anything or improve the network remains to be seen but either ways GSM networks have proven to be superior than CDMA networks so either At&t or T-mobile depending on $$$ Or if you have the big bucks go straight to Verizon

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have both an iPhone 5 and a Samsung Galaxy S3 so I can talk from experience. Of course, your mileage may vary so please take what iIsay as merely my own opinion based on my experiences with both devices, rather than gospel truth of how it is across all devices.

The battery on the S3 is woeful. it just will not last a single day without a charge at about 6pm at the latest. I have even bought a battery pack so i can charge my phone when i'm out and about, such is the poor battery life. In comparison to the iPhone, it is shockingly bad.

The S3 looks cheap and plastic compared to the iPhone. Whilst that in itself isn't a problem as it sits in a case all the time, there is torsion there. By that i mean that I can flex the phone by gripping the four corners and moving the diagonals together.

Android is a lot more open than iOS. The functionality of Android is incredible; there are apps that will do anything that you could possibly do on a phone. The downside of that is that as Android is available for hundreds, if not thousands of different phones, compatibility seems to be an issue, at least for me. On a few occasions, I have purchased apps on Google Play that say they work on the SGS3 but in practice actually they just don't work. Whilst there is a window to delete the app and obtain a full refund, i've not always been able to do that due to phone signal or any number of other reasons, so I am stuck with apps that I paid for, that just do not work. The number of free apps is greater on Android but a number of them contain adverts that are just too intrusive, or my favourite hatred, 'push ads'. Ads that push themselves to your notification bar and pop up a box that gives you a fake security warning (for instance). Whilst there are further apps to remove those, it just seems like you are having to buy an app to fix another app, which is silly.

iOS just works. It's not perfect and there are lots of things I wish it did in comparison to Android (Tasker for instance), but iOS is very user friendly and very stable. One of my biggest gripes is that Android just falls over all the time on my phone (I'm running ICS as JB isn't released yet). Many people have said to me "Oh you should root it and run a more stable custom ROM) but to be honest, if in order to get the phone running with any degree of stability I need to do something that isn't recommended by the manufacturer, then there is a major problem somewhere.

Of course, rooting/jailbreaking does open up more functionality but shouldn't required to make the phone work properly.

Android is definitely worth a look if you are into tinkering with your phone, as the options available on the SGS3 with Ice Cream Sandwich are huge. On the other hand, if you want a Smartphone that works with little fuss, then an iPhone is the way to go.

As I said above, these are just my observations based on my own experiences with my phones and should not be taken as any kind of definitive truth on how they are in the wider world.

Attachments

• iphone.sgs3.jpg
    iphone.sgs3.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 207

Bluth22

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I have both an iPhone 5 and a Samsung Galaxy S3 so I can talk from experience. Of course, your mileage may vary so please take what iIsay as merely my own opinion based on my experiences with both devices, rather than gospel truth of how it is across all devices.

The battery on the S3 is woeful. it just will not last a single day without a charge at about 6pm at the latest. I have even bought a battery pack so i can charge my phone when i'm out and about, such is the poor battery life. In comparison to the iPhone, it is shockingly bad.

The S3 looks cheap and plastic compared to the iPhone. Whilst that in itself isn't a problem as it sits in a case all the time, there is torsion there. By that i mean that I can flex the phone by gripping the four corners and moving the diagonals together.

Android is a lot more open than iOS. The functionality of Android is incredible; there are apps that will do anything that you could possibly do on a phone. The downside of that is that as Android is available for hundreds, if not thousands of different phones, compatibility seems to be an issue, at least for me. On a few occasions, I have purchased apps on Google Play that say they work on the SGS3 but in practice actually they just don't work. Whilst there is a window to delete the app and obtain a full refund, i've not always been able to do that due to phone signal or any number of other reasons, so I am stuck with apps that I paid for, that just do not work. The number of free apps is greater on Android but a number of them contain adverts that are just too intrusive, or my favourite hatred, 'push ads'. Ads that push themselves to your notification bar and pop up a box that gives you a fake security warning (for instance). Whilst there are further apps to remove those, it just seems like you are having to buy an app to fix another app, which is silly.

iOS just works. It's not perfect and there are lots of things I wish it did in comparison to Android (Tasker for instance), but iOS is very user friendly and very stable. One of my biggest gripes is that Android just falls over all the time on my phone (I'm running ICS as JB isn't released yet). Many people have said to me "Oh you should root it and run a more stable custom ROM) but to be honest, if in order to get the phone running with any degree of stability I need to do something that isn't recommended by the manufacturer, then there is a major problem somewhere.

Of course, rooting/jailbreaking does open up more functionality but shouldn't required to make the phone work properly.

Android is definitely worth a look if you are into tinkering with your phone, as the options available on the SGS3 with Ice Cream Sandwich are huge. On the other hand, if you want a Smartphone that works with little fuss, then an iPhone is the way to go.

As I said above, these are just my observations based on my own experiences with my phones and should not be taken as any kind of definitive truth on how they are in the wider world.

Very good and informational. Thanks for the in depth view and knowledge into both devices. I think for now I'm gonna keep my phone and study android a bit more before I get one.
How much do u think my new 4s is worth?

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I sold my 4s to get a S3 and I can say the battery on mine is far superior to that on my 4s I get a full day compared to my 4s which I'd have to charge by about 3pm, I am a person who likes to customize as much as possible and jail breaking a iphone doesn't even come close to how many things you can do on a android phone. I'd have to disagree with the poster that said the S3 feels cheap, I find that it's smooth and feels refined and sorta classy compared to the square bulk of a iphone and for its size its pretty light. I love the fact that the screen is so big and truly amazing compared to the little iphone screen even the 5 doesn't come close to how good it is.

Each to their own really and if your even considering a swap just to try it out it means your sorta bored of the iphone and IOS so give it a go and I promise you won't be sorry.

Tap'n Like a boss on my S3

llfloyd79

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I have had both phones as well. Both phones are great. I never had a problem with the S3. My S3 battery was great. Probably the best for any android phone. I traded my S3 for a 4S a week ago. I just prefer iPhone right now. Nothing against the S3....not even going to bash the S3 because in my opinion you can't go wrong with either. I'm just going with iPhone because I don't like wondering if my android phone will get an update to the OS or not. With iPhone i don't have to worry about that. Plus I like the interface of iPhone. So me switching from S3 back to iPhone has nothing to do with performance or specs or how the phone is made. The S3 is not made cheaply. It weighs more than the new iPhone 5 lol. Just because it doesn't have glass on both sides and doesn't have that weight of the 4S, doesn't mean its made cheap. Both phones look great. So like I said which ever you chose or trade for...either one, you can't go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dj2big

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Not a good trade as iphone will hold its value way better than any android

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Not a good trade as iphone will hold its value way better than any android

If all your worried about is how much you can get for it when your finished with it you need to HUSH!!

We're all about the user experience here and the S3 is awesome in that aspect.

Tap'n Like a boss on my S3

4truegrit

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
my question is this, I have a s 3 and like it very much. I just purchased an iPhone 5 and want to use both on the same line with Verizon. Can I cut my microSIM from the S 3 into a nano Sim and insert into the iPhone and use it? Then using a microSIM adapter go back to my S 3 whenever I want? I just purchased the Cutter and adapter on eBay, haven't received it yet. This would be ideal for me a little variety with my phone line. Anybody doing this or you know if it's possible, I don't want to damage the SIM card reader in. either phone.?? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

taylorz_412

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
my question is this, I have a s 3 and like it very much. I just purchased an iPhone 5 and want to use both on the same line with Verizon. Can I cut my microSIM from the S 3 into a nano Sim and insert into the iPhone and use it? Then using a microSIM adapter go back to my S 3 whenever I want? I just purchased the Cutter and adapter on eBay, haven't received it yet. This would be ideal for me a little variety with my phone line. Anybody doing this or you know if it's possible, I don't want to damage the SIM card reader in. either phone.?? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

It should work fine

agentmobile

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I recently went through this same scenario. At least on AT&T, the iPhone and the galaxy S3 have two different types of data plans supposedly. Every time I would switch sims my data wouldn't work and I would have to call AT&T and change the IMEI # they had on file and then they have to set it to a smartphone data plan or the iPhone data plan. It's stupid but just another way for them to discourage using two phones on one line. If you had two iPhones or two Smartphones and not one of each, you would have no problem switching between the two with the same sim.

Tapatalk

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I have had both phones on AT&T. Speaking strictly from a value standpoint, right now the 4S 16gb AT&T version should get you between $275-325. The S3 will get you $400-450. Those are what I have watched them go for over the past month and have sold my S3 in that range. The S3 will drop a little in the next month with the release of the Note 2 and then again early next year when the S4 is released. The 4S should maintain that price range for awhile.

The experience you will have on both depends on what you are looking for, so you everyone will feel differently. The S3 looks a little cheap but does feel good in your hand and doesn't feel cheap IMO. The hardware is very nice and is very fast.

The deciding factor for me is simple. The S3 is Samsung's flagship phone and already doesn't have the latest version of Android. This is just ridiculous that Google lets this happen. When there is a new version of Android it is normally full of noticeable improvements so not be able to get them is frustrating.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

People like you are the ones that have a right to say which is better. Too many trolls here bash the other without personal experience on both devices. Thanks for the informative post.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Nice post! I tried to 'like' it from iPad, but it wouldn't work. Weird...

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I personally would not trade your 4s for the SG3. I have the SG3 and in my experience the phone is awful. The main feature that attracted me to this phone was s voice and siri was the #1 thing I missed from my iPhone (I missed android so I purchased the Evo LTE.... yeah I know, you don't need to say anything lol) so instead of buying another 4s I decided to give this one a try. Siri was amazing for me, this s voice on the other hand is terrible, it never does what you say and when I try look something up 99 times out of 100 all it says "I don't know what you mean by that, let me do an internet search"... I could have typed the stuff into the internet myself, I wanted a no hassle answer lol. My SG3 constantly goes into roaming, I get unable to connect to my email notifications often, the data speeds are horrific and I am sorry but if you think plastic is classy you also probably think of Wal-Mart as a department store. Oh and while it works with no issues, sliding the side of my hand to take a screen shot is annoying as can be haha. I will fully admit that there are people that love their SG3 and think it's better than their iPhone, though most of those people came from a 3gs or a 4. Hope you figure out works best for you, I am patiently waiting for my iP5 and look forward to tossing this phone in a drawer or the trash.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods