Can I upgrade early to iphone 5 if downgrade data plan?

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone:

I got my first iphone, the 4s as soon as it was released. I signed a 2 year Verizon contract with unlimited data. My wife also got a 4s several months later. I love it but want the iphone 5 asap without paying full retail price, if possible. However, I was advised that I will not be eligible for an upgrade to the iphone 5 at a discounted price until next June.

I was wondering if Verizon would make an exception if I was willing to downgrade my data plan now from unlimited to 2gb since an analysis of my account indicates that I do not even come close to 2gb a month since I use wifi alot. I do not want to buy and sell used iphones on ebay since I will give my iphone 4s to my 8 year old who recently cracked her itouch.

Any thoughts on my idea or other suggestions as to how to upgrade early to the 5 at a discount.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi Everyone:

I got my first iphone, the 4s as soon as it was released. I signed a 2 year Verizon contract with unlimited data. My wife also got a 4s several months later. I love it but want the iphone 5 asap without paying full retail price, if possible. However, I was advised that I will not be eligible for an upgrade to the iphone 5 at a discounted price until next June.

I was wondering if Verizon would make an exception if I was willing to downgrade my data plan now from unlimited to 2gb since an analysis of my account indicates that I do not even come close to 2gb a month since I use wifi alot. I do not want to buy and sell used iphones on ebay since I will give my iphone 4s to my 8 year old who recently cracked her itouch.

Any thoughts on my idea or other suggestions as to how to upgrade early to the 5 at a discount.

The short answer: no one knows.

When AT&T was the only iPhone in the US, they often allowed early upgrades to folks within 6 months of the end of their contract (typically, they allow the upgrades within 3-4 months of contract anniversary). This was back when the iPhone release was in June, and AT&T typically allowed you to upgrade at the fully subsidized price if you would be eligible before the end of the year (thus the ~ 6 month window).

But these days, who knows... The most sure bet is to sell your 4s and use the cash towards the next iPhone...

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate the suggestion. However, I failed to point out that myy June 2013 upgrade date is 20 months after the contract started Thus, it is 4 months early. In addition, I am not planning on selling the iphone since i would give it to my daughter to replace her damaged itouch.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
To answer your question about the early upgrade, I doubt it but it never hurts to ask. CSRs on the phone generally have more pull than those in a brick and mortar store.

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
By CSR, do you mean customer support representative?
I spoke to a Verizon CSR. There is nothing that they are willing to do. I will have to wait until next June if I want an iphone 5 at the subsidized price. They said I can not downgrade to a limited data plan for the same price i am paying now for unlimited data. Verizon doesn't really care because when I eventually upgrade, i will be forced to take a limited data plan anyway. Its disgraceful that we were told we were "grandfathered" into an unlimited data plan. That wasn't true. We los it when we go to 4G.

In any event, if I have to wait until next June, i might as well wait until when the contract expires anyway (Sept-Oct 2013) since they will come out with a new version of the 5 then anyway (if they follow the pattern of the last few years).

I will be stuck in a vicious cycle of the middle phone, not the new design whenever I am eligible for an upgrade at a discount. LOL.

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Now I understand. I have a friend who is a real spendthrift. I thought he has been pulling my leg as to how he gets the latest iphone every year or changes colors at a discounted price. Now, I realize its just that AT&T allows a new phone much earlier than Verizon at a subsidized price. Unfortunately, Verizon is much more reliable in my area and most of my friends and family are on Verizon so I can't change carriers.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The best option for you is to buy off contract and keep the unlimited while you still can. Sell the 4S to recoup a good chunk of what was lost by buying the 5 off contract.

Then turn around and buy a new iPod Touch for your daughter. An 8gb is only $175 on Amazon with free shipping.

I think that is the most cost effective way to get what you want when you want it.

And I personally wouldn't give my 9 year old a 4S to use as an iPod. She has a Touch, but a 4S is overkill to use just for a Touch. Just my 2 cents there.

Dahlen

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Does it still work to order the phone while adding a new line, getting the subsidized price, then after receiving the phone, deactivating it, replacing it with a "dumb" phone which requires no data plan. You then activate your fancy new iPhone 5 on your primary line and end up paying an additional ten bucks a month for the dumb phone. If you got the 4s last October, you would now be eligible for an upgrade every year between the two lines. That's ow I got the 4s, not sure if that loop hole has been closed or not. It only worked then as data was nt contractual, it was simply tied into the phone that was active at the time. Smart phone = $30 data plan, dumb phone = none. Not sure how this would work with the new share everything plans. Sorry for the ramble.

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I realize I started this thread and discovered that my original answer was incorrect.

In order to buy the 5 at the discounted price from Verizon, I was willing to give up unlimited data because a analysis shows that I don't use much data. Numerous Verizon reps and supervisors confirmed that all I had to do was switch to the family shared plan and add a line and then move the new line to my iPad. This way, i would be eligibile for a new phone each year with staggering eligibility.

In fact, if I also added my wife's iphone to my account as well, we would actually save $60 per month.

I ordered the iPhone online at the apple store by selecting add a line.

Well, my new phone was delivered to my office this morning and I immediately called Verizon. Asked for a supervisor to make sure no glitches and as recommended in this thread, I didn't turn the phone on.

The supervisor supposedly put my new phone on my old line and then transferred me to the iPad dept. the rep. There told me stuff that didn't make sense regarding the transfer of the new line and its activation regarding eligibility for discounted price plus future eligibility so I asked for a supervisor.

I got transferred to a plain old rep and they transferred to a rep in a different dept, etc. after 5 transfers and nearly 2 hours later, I got the right supervisor. He confirmed the process was correct but investigated and determined was a problem switching the 5 to my old number since after 2 plus hours, it had not happened.

Now, he has to call me back and said it can take 5 hours or more to remedy the problem and then we would have to go back to deal with the iPad issue. The iPad may be a further problem as well because I had tried to set up the other line a few weeks ago and to make a long story short, it was determined that I needed a new SIM card to activate it and Verizon would probably have to mail me one. Why didn't they do it already?

The bottom line is Verizon sucks!

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I realize I started this thread and discovered that my original answer was incorrect.

In order to buy the 5 at the discounted price from Verizon, I was willing to give up unlimited data because a analysis shows that I don't use much data. Numerous Verizon reps and supervisors confirmed that all I had to do was switch to the family shared plan and add a line and then move the new line to my iPad. This way, i would be eligibile for a new phone each year with staggering eligibility.

In fact, if I also added my wife's iphone to my account as well, we would actually save $60 per month.

I ordered the iPhone online at the apple store by selecting add a line.

Well, my new phone was delivered to my office this morning and I immediately called Verizon. Asked for a supervisor to make sure no glitches and as recommended in this thread, I didn't turn the phone on.

The supervisor supposedly put my new phone on my old line and then transferred me to the iPad dept. the rep. There told me stuff that didn't make sense regarding the transfer of the new line and its activation regarding eligibility for discounted price plus future eligibility so I asked for a supervisor.

I got transferred to a plain old rep and they transferred to a rep in a different dept, etc. after 5 transfers and nearly 2 hours later, I got the right supervisor. He confirmed the process was correct but investigated and determined was a problem switching the 5 to my old number since after 2 plus hours, it had not happened.

Now, he has to call me back and said it can take 5 hours or more to remedy the problem and then we would have to go back to deal with the iPad issue. The iPad may be a further problem as well because I had tried to set up the other line a few weeks ago and to make a long story short, it was determined that I needed a new SIM card to activate it and Verizon would probably have to mail me one. Why didn't they do it already?

The bottom line is Verizon sucks!

As an update, I did not get off of the phone with Verizon until 10:30 eastern. I started at 11:30 am. Many things have happened since my original post . Not to go into all the incompetence I dealt with but the bottom line is no one knew what the problem really was.

Apple and Verizon are both at fault.
Wen I preordered my phone at 3 am on the 14th, I selected "add a line". However, somehow stuff got mixed up and miscommunication between apple and Verizon and a new account was created that no one could find rather than just an added new line. I actually thought this was the case over a week ago and contacted apple because I saw next to my order status a shared everything plan for $100 which was the same amount as the plan I had changed to on the 13th. I checked my account on My Verizon and there was only one line listed under my account, no second line and only one phone number, not 2. When I called the Apple store customer service to get to the bottom of this last week because it made no sense, the apple rep said don't worry about it, it will be taken care of by Verizon when you activate the phone. I never got an confirmation of a new phone number from either apple or my Verizon.

By pure luck, I finally spoke with someone at verizon who totally understood all the issues and is very smart ("superstar") . All day I kept mentioning to reps and supervisors that there may a seperate account accidentally created. Finally, Superstar, realized it and is walking me through the required steps soups to nuts to fix a huge mess. It will take 48 hours before I have an operational iPhone 5 on my existing phone number and my iPad 3 on a second line having data.

The first supervisor exacerbated the problem by trying to move my existing phone number to the new phone without first having the new number associated with the new phone. No one questioned why there was no phone number associated with the new iPhone or why there was no record of a second line.

The iPad also has a problem being switched onto a data plan because obviously it can not be associated with the new line and number until my old phone number is switched from my old 4S to the new iphone 5. I am also going to have to swap SIM cards on the iPad because of a screw up with a Verizon corporate store a few weeks ago when I switched to the share everything plan. That's another story.

Another screwup was the replacement sim card was supposed to have been mailed to me weeks ago but never came. I received a trifolder with nothing in it. I called verizon 2 weeks ago to ask what was supposed to have been mailed to me. they didn't know. The Superstar figured out that the line had been cancelled by a corporate Verizon store and had not even active for 24 hours so a dummy package was sent.

I knew there was going to be a problem with the iPad SIM card and in speaking to an earlier rep, asked them to overnight a replacement sim so I could get things moving instead of walking into a Verizon. corporate store which could screw up the process. The rep agreed but of course, sent it out 3 day.

And thank goodness, the Superstar also understood how to set things up so my iPad will be added as a second line to share data with my iphone and qualify me for a discounted phone. She actually read the notes from a few weeks ago, understood all the issues and confirmed that what the original rep told me on September 13 when I switched from unlimited data to shared everything could be done.

One last side note, at one point, Verizon switched me to apple because they thought apple screwed up. I had a great tech guy who stayed on the line during the process and remained on the line as we got and spoke to the superstar. However, during the discussions with apple, we were connected to a customer support guy at apple who didn't get it and told me that the phone was defective and they had to send me a new phone which would take some time. I lost it at that point and had to explain to him that the phone wasn't defective, etc.

When the process is complete and the mess is fixed, I am certainly going to hammer both Verizon and Apple and complement the Superstar.

VZWiP4

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
By CSR, do you mean customer support representative?
I spoke to a Verizon CSR. There is nothing that they are willing to do. I will have to wait until next June if I want an iphone 5 at the subsidized price. They said I can not downgrade to a limited data plan for the same price i am paying now for unlimited data. Verizon doesn't really care because when I eventually upgrade, i will be forced to take a limited data plan anyway. Its disgraceful that we were told we were "grandfathered" into an unlimited data plan. That wasn't true. We los it when we go to 4G.

In any event, if I have to wait until next June, i might as well wait until when the contract expires anyway (Sept-Oct 2013) since they will come out with a new version of the 5 then anyway (if they follow the pattern of the last few years).

I will be stuck in a vicious cycle of the middle phone, not the new design whenever I am eligible for an upgrade at a discount. LOL.

If you don't want to add a line...The iPhone 5 just came out so you will probably will need to wait a little(most likely when the device is no longer in the iconic portal). However, I managed to get a 4S(few months after) even when I was told I couldn't. It took a few phone calls but I managed to get it. You could try to explain you know people who have gotten early upgrades on Verizon for newly launched iPhones. Also, try telling them that ATT allows their customers to upgrade early for $250 extra and people even get those fees waved sometimes. How long have you been on Verizon?

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If you don't want to add a line...The iPhone 5 just came out so you will probably will need to wait a little(most likely when the device is no longer in the iconic portal). However, I managed to get a 4S(few months after) even when I was told I couldn't. It took a few phone calls but I managed to get it. You could try to explain you know people who have gotten early upgrades on Verizon for newly launched iPhones. Also, try telling them that ATT allows their customers to upgrade early for $250 extra and people even get those fees waved sometimes. How long have you been on Verizon?

Thanks for your response. However, if you read the later posts in this thread, you will see that that I was already received the phone by adding a second line for an additional $10 per month which enables me to share my data from my iphone with my ipad3. I had a major problem with the process because Verizon andcApple screwed up their processing and added an account rather than a line. It is finally being resolved and I will be in business tomorrow.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW