Possible to use an iPhone without a data plan?

captainbdsc

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

So, I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to use an iPhone4 without a data plan. I just got a new job, and they are having me get a company paid cell phone. But it is just a plain "dumb" phone on Verizon. So, I was thinking of buying a used iPhone4 and using that as a "dumb" phone. Is that possible? I mean would I still be able to just use WiFi for all data needs? Is there a way to setup an iPhone where it will only pull data down if it is connected via WiFi? (I don't currently own an iPhone to browse through the settings and options.)

Thanks,

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

So, I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to use an iPhone4 without a data plan. I just got a new job, and they are having me get a company paid cell phone. But it is just a plain "dumb" phone on Verizon. So, I was thinking of buying a used iPhone4 and using that as a "dumb" phone. Is that possible?
It is my understanding that the carrier will detect the type of phone you have and bill you accordingly. I'm assuming you will be receiving and making phone calls.
I mean would I still be able to just use WiFi for all data needs?
If you go to Settings/General/Network and then turn OFF cellular data then yes, you should be able to.
Is there a way to setup an iPhone where it will only pull data down if it is connected via WiFi? (I don't currently own an iPhone to browse through the settings and options.)

Thanks,
Yes. Enable Wi-Fi & disable cellular data as mentioned above.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

captainbdsc

May 3, 2012
Visit site
It is my understanding that the carrier will detect the type of phone you have and bill you accordingly. I'm assuming you will be receiving and making phone calls. If you go to Settings/General/Network and then turn OFF cellular data then yes, you should be able to. Yes. Enable Wi-Fi & disable cellular data as mentioned above.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

So Verizon will see that I have an iPhone and change whatever plan I have setup by my company's IT personnel? Right now I have 1000 minutes,1000 texts, and pay as you go data. If that changed I am sure I'd get in trouble. I guess I better talk to both my IT department and a Verizon customer care associate.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So Verizon will see that I have an iPhone and change whatever plan I have setup by my company's IT personnel? Right now I have 1000 minutes,1000 texts, and pay as you go data. If that changed I am sure I'd get in trouble. I guess I better talk to both my IT department and a Verizon customer care associate.

Yes, they will and will automatically tack on the smartphone fee...$30, I believe, and yes, it would be beneficial to talk to both your IT Department as well as Verizon Customer Care, just in case. Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
They will not let you add the phone without adding a data package period

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If you want everything about an iPhone but the phone, get an iPod Touch.

It's not about Verizon being "jerks"... the thought of having an iPhone with no data plan makes no sense to me.

captainbdsc

May 3, 2012
Visit site

It's not about Verizon being "jerks"... the thought of having an iPhone with no data plan makes no sense to me.

No, I want to make phone calls and send texts too. :) But since I have WiFi for 95% of the day, why should I want to pay for data? Anyway, it isn't really my choice since my company is paying for it, so I can't just choose to pony up and pay for it. I just wondered if it was possible so I wouldn't have to use a "dumb phone" for work.

iVazz

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. Get an iPod Touch and use google voice or Skype. Less money for the Touch.

Sent from the dark recesses of my mind using Tapatalk.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I gave my other half my 3GS. She is on PAYG. No data plan. I simply switched off cellular data on her iPhone. She only uses her phone as a phone. Just calls and texts. I have left WiFi enabled so she can use it around our house but she doesn't even do that!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I gave my other half my 3GS. She is on PAYG. No data plan. I simply switched off cellular data on her iPhone. She only uses her phone as a phone. Just calls and texts. I have left WiFi enabled so she can use it around our house but she doesn't even do that!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I see you're on O2 for a WSP. Verizon won't let you do that. Like KCH said, the OP will need a data plan.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Well I do see sense. Wi-Fi at home, at work, 5 minutes of travel between the two, and not much going out - not anywhere I'd need a connexion, anyway. When I go out it's certainly not to do what I can do inside each and every day. I'll buy my next iPhone factory unlocked, and still after three years I'll have paid half what the average consumer pays when buying it on contract - and enjoyed it thoroughly nevertheless. So it does make sense, for me.

Plus, clearly, the OP is facing a specific situation where data is not an interesting option. And she obviously needs to have a working phone, not an iPod.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

... Is there a way to setup an iPhone where it will only pull data down if it is connected via WiFi? (I don't currently own an iPhone to browse through the settings and options.)

Thanks,

You don't need to, as the iPhone will automatically choose Wi-Fi over 3G if available. Now, if you want to be sure to not use data when on Wi-Fi (in case of losing signal), you just turn cellular data off. But if you just want it to only drop 3G when on Wi-Fi, you don't have to do nothing.

G W1

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Keith - I am guessing you have no kids or lots of money to burn. Our oldest daughter upgraded her IPhone and wants to pass her old IPhone 4S down to her 15 year old sister. We, the parents, don't mind but she has NO need for a data plan, operates in Wi-Fi mode with her old Touch and just needs to be able to call us on occasion so we know where she is. So having a IPhone with no data is the RIGHT answer for her and us. So that Verizon et al plays these money grabbing games really is about business and not customer service.

Kinda builds on they let's charge $25 for unlimited text messages which sounded like a great deal for years until it became relatively well known that the messages cost $0 to the companies since they are piggybacking the signals.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Well I don't know about the states but in Canada u can definitely use an iPhone without no data just you won't be able to use Internet or anything but phone would still work for calls and txt

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

So, I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to use an iPhone4 without a data plan. I just got a new job, and they are having me get a company paid cell phone. But it is just a plain "dumb" phone on Verizon. So, I was thinking of buying a used iPhone4 and using that as a "dumb" phone. Is that possible? I mean would I still be able to just use WiFi for all data needs? Is there a way to setup an iPhone where it will only pull data down if it is connected via WiFi? (I don't currently own an iPhone to browse through the settings and options.)

Thanks,

You can use it data only if you don't want to make calls with it. Just don't go to Verizon and never get a plan set up on it and run it off WiFi for data. That's how I've used plenty of phones in the past when decided which phone to keep. One had a plan on it the other didn't and I just played with it over WiFi. I'm on Verizon as well. Data only with no plan will, so no calls unless on Google Voice, Skype, etc and you're fine. Just like turning an iPod into an iPhone.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

verizon_no

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
After paying 2 years for a phone that is substandard (after multiple crappy upgrades) one may want to just use the IPHONE as a phone w/o a data plan. Seems like one should be able to?