Used upgrade now before losing it.

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I like so many others will lose the unlimited plan when I upgrade in August. Well not wanting to lose my upgrade I will be forced to pay full price for my phone when I get the next one ( assuming Verizon allows it) thus losing out my upgrade. So rather then lose it I called Verizon and just asked if I could upgrade both my line and my wife's line to the 4s.

Surprisingly they allowed me to upgrade early without any problems. Only catch is I could not get the iPhone as they say apple will not allow them to early upgrade to the iPhone. But I could upgrade to a android phone and then exchange it within 14 days for the iPhone if I choose lol.

So although I already had the iPhone 4s I am getting another one which I will sell to offset the cost of the new iPhone this fall. And my wife will get the 4s and I will sell her 4 to pay for that cost. So moral of the story is if you have a upgrade coming in the next couple months and want to keep your unlimited plan using the upgrade after the 28th will cause you to either lose you unlimited or lose your upgrade. I chose to keep my unlimited plan and keep my upgrade.

Sorry if I rambled. I just thought I would post in case anyone else is in the same shoes as I.

Thanks everyone.

fspilot1971

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a dilemma similar to yours.... I have an iPhone 4 with unlimited data, I was waiting for the iPhone 5, but I now think I will settle for the 4s in order to not lose my unlimited plan, since my wife doesn't need or want a smart phone I can upgrade her line and continue paying $120 a month instead of $150 for something which is less and my wife doesn't need.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Im in the same boat with 3 of my lines 2 prob won't upgrade until they break there phone so there ok .. Me on other hand im stuck ..

So here is a question
Let's say I don't have a upgrade (line 1 )
But line 2 does and I use there's does the take away line 2 data or line 1 ?

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
As long as you keep a smart phone attached to line 2 the unlimited data will stay put. I just really couldn't stand the thought of giving Verizon back a upgrade I waited to keep the unlimited plan because they came out with this crap shared plan.

I would be more receptive to switch to it of they offered more data for prices prices. But to start at 50 for 1gb is redonkulous.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
So line 1 would loose unlimited data not line 2 even even I used line 2 upgrade ? Damn thought I could keep my unlimited and shaft my sis who don't even stream anything lol

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Both lines would stay the exact same. That is until the 28th. after that you will loose it regardless if you upgrade. The only way prior to the 28th to loose the unlimited plan on any line is either voluntarily or by switching to a dumb phone on that line. As long as you leave a smart phone on the line and just use the upgrade for another line everything stays the same for you. Until the doomsday of the 28th.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it is forcing to loose unlimited as long as you don't change anything .. From what I heard is you will loose your unlimited if u upgrade but if u buy a phone at full retail and just do esn swap you keep your unlimited .. As far as the new shared data plan I don't think they can force you on a new plan that will cost more atleast without notice and given its less than a month away and I haven't got notified officially about anything

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah they won't let you know until you try to upgrade then they will make you pick a new plan. I hope buying a phone at full price allows us to keep the unlimited plan because right now that's the only way I will get the new iPhone in the fall. Otherwise I will use my 4s a little longer. 😊

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I hope they don't make me change my whole family plan for upgrading one device

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
From what a i gather the rest should be able to keep their respective plans. Definitely let us know if you find something out different though.

But so far after upgrading two of my five lines the other ones stayed the same.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Ya I'm already on a family plan so from what I read if I upgrade and that line has unlimited data then I will have to go to a data plan with a cap
Currently data is a feature per line and not part of the main plan
(opposite of what they going to switch to )

So my understanding is if you want to use your upgrade you can not have that feature anymore unless you buy the phone retail and simply do a esn swap then your plan stats the same

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to decide what to do as a result of these changes. I only have a single line and I am going to lose out big time if I upgrade after the new plan goes into effect. I've been off contract for close to two years now and was going to use my upgrade for the new iPhone in the Fall but it looks like I would have to pay full price (which I don't want to do) if I don't want to lose my unlimited data plan. I may jump ship and go over to AT&T (where the rest of my family is) down the road as long as their plans don't change anytime soon. Decisions, decisions,...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
My advise use your upgrade buy 4s sell it continue to use old phone then put your money towards a off contact iPhone 5 to keep your unlimited data

Reactions: CG68

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
My advise use your upgrade buy 4s sell it continue to use old phone then put your money towards a off contact iPhone 5 to keep your unlimited data

Thanks, that's one of the options I have been considering.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah they won't let you know until you try to upgrade then they will make you pick a new plan. I hope buying a phone at full price allows us to keep the unlimited plan because right now that's the only way I will get the new iPhone in the fall. Otherwise I will use my 4s a little longer. ��

Customers will be able to keep their unlimited plan as long as they stick with the same smartphone. But when that phone gets too old, the only customers who will be able to keep their unlimited plan are those who pay the full retail handset price.

This article says you can keep it if you pay full retail price. I'll gladly fork over the $ to save my ginger behind on data. I use way too much to ever go tiered.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal