AT&T's Stupid CEO.

cctpitts01

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I cannot believe that this guy opened his mouth like this. Awesome move piss off your current subscribers and make new subscribers rethink of they should sign up with Greedy Ass AT&T. Maybe they are putting to much hope in the Lumia 900 that it will be there new bread winner over the iPhone cause them bashing on Apple about iMessage stealing revenue from this is suicide.

@9to5mac: AT&T CEO: iMessage disrupts our messaging revenue stream, unlimited data was a mistake https://t.co/cAb61r4d

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I dont see why we are mad over these comments...

Is our allegiance to Apple THAT strong? The iPhone is a VERY costly device for the carriers between the prices per phone AND the iMessage platform (Which is no different than BBM when you think about it but still...). There is NO carrier that is in love with Apple. But they understand the iPhone is a very critical component to their success as the demand for it is still high. Besides...Apple is NO less greedy than AT&T or any of the other carriers for that matter. In fact, you could argue they are greedier. Yet nobody speaks on that.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
iMessage is stealing revenue. It's a fact. He's understandably sorry about that fact.

If you ok'd something that ate into your profits, would you be happy about it? If you admitted you were sorry would you expect people to be ugly to you?

How is he pissing anyone off by what he said? Good grief!

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
iMessage is stealing revenue. It's a fact. He's understandably sorry about that fact.

If you ok'd something that ate into your profits, would you be happy about it? If you admitted you were sorry would you expect people to be ugly to you?

Yes god forbid a company would want more revenue.

Phil DeLong

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I think more of the issue is how much of a crybaby he came across as. That's my guess anyway, not an AT&T customer so it doesn't matter much to me.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Not sure why it was piss off customers who understand AT&T's problem.

AT&T gave customers unlimited data and then Apple brings out iMessage that you don't even need to download, but instead automatically sends over the network. That's why most messengers aren't doing as well as they should... you and the other party have to download the app. With iMessage, poof, you have it and don't even know. I have customers who have asked why some of their messages are blue and show "d", not knowing it's iMessage vs. a normal SMS.

AT&T got rid of all messaging options, except for unlimited because customers got the lowest plan for those they would sms that didn't have iMessage. Now it's all or nothing.

So no, I'm not mad at AT&T for feeling that way.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I don't see the big deal. His delivery could've been better, but the fact is that AT&T is a business and needs to make money. People say spend spend spend spend on infrastructure. However they don't have a blank check. There is a thing called budgets. There is also red tape, not in my backyard idiots and I am sure a few more things. The texting plan at most is 20 bucks a month. 20 bucks. That is nothing. If you can't afford 20 bucks a month, then what are you doing with a smartphone and the high rates associated with it?

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
AT&T got rid of all messaging options, except for unlimited because customers got the lowest plan for those they would sms that didn't have iMessage. Now it's all or nothing.

They changed their text messaging plans before iOS 5 was released.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think a lot of people are pissed off. Just that he shouldn't have said anything about it or at least not wine about it. Basically he's saying "gee, I wish Apple hadn't done this so we could still stick it to our customers". Which is fair enough after all nobody has to buy their plans.

I would imagine some companies are upset at Microsoft for giving away 25GB of free online storage and cutting into their revenue stream as well, but I don't hear them crying.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
People should be PO'ed by SMS/pic messaging and how the cell phone industry prices it. The per MB rate is ridiculous. And consumers are being screwed without the benefit of any foreplay in the deal.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I would imagine some companies are upset at Microsoft for giving away 25GB of free online storage and cutting into their revenue stream as well, but I don't hear them crying.
That wasn't a good example. DropBox doesn't have an official client for windows phone, nor does Google with Google Drive. Heck, I can't think of any one aside from Microsoft's own, of the popular ones.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I can't say enough bad things about whiny, greedy CEO's like this who feel they are entitled to screw people out of their money. For all the talk about improving their network and "spending capitol", AT$T hasn't done either, every dead zone in so Cal that was around back when I first got an iPhone in 2008 is still there.

Even though I now have iMessage, I still pay 20 bucks a month for unlimited texting, so iMessage is really saving his crooked ass money, not the other way around. There is no reason texts shouldn't be a part of data, so really, I'm paying 50 bucks a month for 3 gigs of data, **** him, he should be sent to prison for robbing millions of people. I hope AT$T goes under because of this sickening leech.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site

How on Earth is iMessage costing them money when it saves them money? I still pay 20 a month for texts, yet use less of their data to do so because of iMessage, AT$T should be thanking Apple and not pissing on their customers.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
How on Earth is iMessage costing them money when it saves them money? I still pay 20 a month for texts, yet use less of their data to do so because of iMessage, AT$T should be thanking Apple and not pissing on their customers.
Because there are other folks on at&t ;)

You may still have an SMS plan, but there lots of others who don't any more. One of my good friends being one of them. My friend had the 1000 msg plan and now does a per pay message plan; 95% of their messages going through iMessage or some text app downloaded from the store (I forget what its called).

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Because there are other folks on at&t ;)

You may still have an SMS plan, but there lots of others who don't any more. One of my good friends being one of them. My friend had the 1000 msg plan and now does a per pay message plan; 95% of their messages going through iMessage or some text app downloaded from the store (I forget what its called).

Then he wouldn't be costing them anything would he? Not that text messaging is a big bandwidth sucking expense for carriers anyway. The carriers remind me of the music industry, maybe one day Apple will take wireless into the current century too.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I can't say enough bad things about whiny, greedy CEO's like this who feel they are entitled to screw people out of their money. For all the talk about improving their network and "spending capitol", AT$T hasn't done either, every dead zone in so Cal that was around back when I first got an iPhone in 2008 is still there.

Even though I now have iMessage, I still pay 20 bucks a month for unlimited texting, so iMessage is really saving his crooked ass money, not the other way around. There is no reason texts shouldn't be a part of data, so really, I'm paying 50 bucks a month for 3 gigs of data, **** him, he should be sent to prison for robbing millions of people. I hope AT$T goes under because of this sickening leech.

Prison? That's a bit much. How are you paying $50 for 3 gigs?

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I don't see the big deal. His delivery could've been better, but the fact is that AT&T is a business and needs to make money. People say spend spend spend spend on infrastructure. However they don't have a blank check. There is a thing called budgets. There is also red tape, not in my backyard idiots and I am sure a few more things. The texting plan at most is 20 bucks a month. 20 bucks. That is nothing. If you can't afford 20 bucks a month, then what are you doing with a smartphone and the high rates associated with it?

20 dollars a month is nothing?? Really..?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR