Totally livid with Sprint

montauk9

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I just called sprint to find out the upgrade date on my son's phone. I was told that not only is he not eligible till next year cause its not a "primary" phone, but a "secondary" phone on the account, but now the primary phones aren't eligble for 20 months for an upgrade because Spring changed there policy..Who exactly are the geniuses at Sprint who decided to screw there customers and increase the eligibility date for a new phone from 12 months to 20?????????????

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I just called sprint to find out the upgrade date on my son's phone. I was told that not only is he not eligible till next year cause its not a "primary" phone, but a "secondary" phone on the account, but now the primary phones aren't eligble for 20 months for an upgrade because Spring changed there policy..Who exactly are the geniuses at Sprint who decided to screw there customers and increase the eligibility date for a new phone from 12 months to 20?????????????

It's a combination of corporate greed, entitlement and a game of corporate leap-frog with the policies... as soon as one carrier displays the huevos to stick it to us, the customers, the others pretty much follow suit.

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
You just noticed this? It was all over the news when they announced it. Now every major US carrier is at 18-20 months for a new subsidy.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Just totally disgusted by it...Just another way to screw the consumer over..

Just be happy television doesn't follow the cell industry model.... Imagine buying subsidized TVs and being locked into multi-year programming agreements... :D

Truthfully, it takes about 18-20 months for the providers to make back the equipment subsidy. It's this, or full retail for the phones - then find a provider at a price you're willing to pay month to month... like TV :)

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
oh they are the same as the cable company...........

Isn't it crazy that a for profit company is trying to make money? You as a consumer have a choice, your money is your vote. If it bothers you so much that a company wants to make money, you should lead by example and FedEx me all of your nice tvs and cellphones for free, no profit involved. Not trying to start a flame war here, but if you ran a business you would try to turn a profit also.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You know what galls me? Not the subsidy/contract period, but the fact that nothing really changes when the contract is up--I'm still required to have the same expensive plan just to get service on an iPhone. At some point, recouping the "subsidy" becomes pure profit.

I can imagine it too from the perspective of someone buying an unlocked iPhone to use on AT&T--why bother paying for an unlocked phone (unless you travel internationally a lot) when you're going to be forced into paying the same rates as someone who got a subsidized, two-year-plan iPhone? What's the benefit?

NxTech3

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
what about buying a car? how about credit cards? Almost everything purchased in todays world involves some sort of pay a little up front now and spread the rest of the cost over a period of time. Its the same principal for cell carriers. The plans are going to be the same no matter what, its up to the consumer to find the best choice for them, the question is do you want to pay the retail cost up front and have dont have to pay any "interest" fees (cancellation fee) or spread the payments over the two year contract....

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry I hadn't seen the OP prior to today. I don't know how it is now with Sprint, but when I was with them, the following was in effect: If they changed something in your agreement, you had 30 days from the date the change took effect to opt out of your contract without a penalty. Prior to the release of the iphone 4S, I was in a situation where this was the case. They had just added a fee of some sort and I read the user agreement to the letter and found the aforemention sentence (not verbatim, of course) and I confirmed it with the Sprint Retaining section. Having said that, I suggest you read your user agreement thoroughly.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
AT&T still offers early upgrade (Contract Price + $250) which isn't terrible when they have a phone that's $99 or less. They do this for any line that is at least 6 months into their contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimonSage

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
If you weren't notified directly by phone, e-mail, or letter about the contract change, you might be eligible to back out from Sprint altogether without an ETF. I'm pretty sure that they have to let you know about big changes like that since it's changing the terms from what you signed up for.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
The second line on the account never got upgrades yearly. It's always been the primary line. They didnt extend the renewal time frame on the additional lines either. They shortened it. It was every 22 months. It's now every 20 months. The only change is the main line no longer gets yearly upgrades. And that was never a contractually guaranteed perk. It was a rewards program. Not something worthy of releasing your service without an ETF. Will they do it? Possibly. But they aren't obligated to do so.

If you were eligible or soon to be eligible, that doesn't change. Once you use your next available upgrade you will then be subject to the 20 month upgrade criteria.

pa7tip

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Sprint got rid of yearly upgrades to the main line of your account solely because of the money they lose on every subsidized iphone they sell. As it was stated in a previous post, sprint or any other carrier is not a non-profit company and needs to make money.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
He was notified. Like most customers, probably never read any thing sent to him by Sprint or the contract he signed when upgrading. In fact, I don't see any where in the contract where it stated you got an upgrade every 12 months.... ha. They just gave it. And no, he can't get out of his contract, because he agreed to it on the last contract. Those who had one year upgrades still get their one year upgrade, but then the one after becomes 20 months.

Pissed off at Sprint because they don't wanna lose any more cash? You know that premier crap was the worst thing Sprint could have introduced... people feel entitled to free service. Every time a customer comes in w/ a complaint, the first thing they say is... "I'm a premier customer". No you are not the president of the United States.

Go start a thread thanking Sprint for continuing to give you unlimited data, even with LTE. Continuing to give the best value in wireless, when it comes to plans! Try getting unlimited and or uncapped data on the other big 3. Or after 7pm being unlimited, included in the plan!

iVazz

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
The OP was notified of this change to Sprint's policy. Hell, everybody was notified back in October or November of last year. All the Mobile Nation sites had the info. Plus, it was in the news too.

It's why my wife & I had to wait an additional 3 months after the iPhones were released to Sprint before we could actually upgrade.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk.