Am I being "throttled" by AT&T?

mszatny

Oct 24, 2000
Visit site
For the last 3-4 months I've been using 2-3 GB of data, I think primarily due to heavy Instacast Streaming. It was around this same time that I started getting periodic 3G "outages".... a simple reboot seems to fix the issue (restoring 3G data) until the next time. I've replaced both the phone and sim card, but the problem still continues.

I got my first AT&T SMS last month about the heavy data usage, so I've started to monitor my data more closely. I'm still on the "so called" Unlimited data plan.

I'm currently about 50% through my billing cycle and have used less than 1 GB of data. But I still get my periodic 3G "outages".

Is this a symptom of AT&T "throttling"?

MS

taylorz_412

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I dont have AT&T but I personally never heard off data drops but major slow downs speed wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I think that's a separate problem. Throttling is more of an in-your-face kind of thing that a reboot won't fix. AT&T would have sent you a more direct notification message, though, saying something along the lines of "Data speeds may be reduced for the remainder of the billing cycle".

Throttled data would absolutely never stream anything like a podcast or internet radio, and the speed drops to equal or below dialup speeds. The Speedtest.net app from the app store will be able to give you a good indicator of whether you're being throttled. (in my case, < 50kbps download and still 1mbps upload)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
For the last 3-4 months I've been But I still get my periodic 3G "outages".

Is this a symptom of AT&T "throttling"?

MS

No, this is not how AT&T throttles their customers who go over the top 5% on their unlimited plan. "Outages" as you say you are experiencing here is a network related issue and should be reported to AT&T's customer care dept. a tech will be able to look at what is going on with the network in your area and see if their are any tower issues going on....

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro