Shared data plan = tethering?

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
With the news that Verizon may be implementing a shared data plan, would that mean people could tether their iPhones to their iPads - thus using one data plan - without having to pay the monthly fee for enabling the personal hotspot? Any thoughts?

korp#IM

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Where did you see this? You must have inside information seeing as how it did not even make it on this website's front page.

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
That would mean that for those of us that have the old "unlimited" data plan would have to forfeit it in lieu of a shared plan.

Personally I'll keep my unlimited plan, and tether with my jailbroken iphone. It's my data, and I'll use it however I want..... goddammit.

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
If I can keep my unlimited plan but I don't think that will happen. I would so go buy a 4G iPad.

Last edited:

JoshB410

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about this....haven't heard anything.

All I know is I am "grandfathered" in to Verizon's unlimited data plan.
I think it's ridiculous to cut users down to GB limits, glad I get to keep my unlimited as long as I don't ever see the effects of the Throttling that they claim they are allowed to use on those with unlimited.

When I had my rooted Android phone I used wireless tether for free to use my Wi-Fi iPad 2 on long car rides and other situations where wi-fi was unavailable but 3G wasn't. This feature is what I miss most about my Android. I know I'm not posting in the right section but with a jailbroken iPhone can I get free wireless tethering, where my iPhone will broadcast a wi-fi network?
Thanks in advance.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'd say it would be extremely likely. What they are hoping to gain is as many devices on the network as possible using data. Many are like me and wont pay $30 month for data on my ipad or they don't want to pay it for their kids phones. Verizon is hopeing to change that and much more. A lot of cars these days are coming equiped with cell modems, there is another potential device on the network. Going back to tethering, that lets them get even more devices on the network that can't get on by themselves. Once everything gets to tiered plans I imagine tethering will be free. It was there to start with because of unlimited plans, they didn't want folks using to tether thier computer and run the bill up. Now that you paying for every kb you use you should certainly be free to do so how you wish.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2