AT&T is at it again with bogus data usage message

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
What cracks me up (as someone pointed out in the comments section of your blog post about this) is that you can buy 3GB for $30 a month. Why then would those of us paying $30 a month, for "unlimited", get throttled at 2GB? Does that mean that the people on the 3GB/$30 plan have slower data speeds between 2GB and 3GB? I think not!
I haven't gotten any messages yet, but it still p*sses me off as an AT&T customer. It's not right!

One of the points I made on the phone. Those on the 3 gig plan do not get throttled from 2-3 gigs.

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I thankfully haven't gotten the message and since the 4S recently got jailbroken, ive been using mywi since my iPad is a wifi only. Very suprised I haven't been notified. Lets see how long unlimited really lasts. (I've had the iPhone since 09)

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
someone needs to create a class action law suit against At&t regarding this issue.

Class action law suits are a money grab for law firms. Are you really excited about a $5 refund 6 years from now? That's likely all anyone would ever see, except the attorneys of course, which would get a hefty percentage of the total.

Class action lawsuits are a waste.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Let me play devils advocate here...

What if the top 5% of users are actually and truthfully killing data speeds for everyone else? What would you think then?

I can assure you that AT&T does and should care more about the other 95% of users than the top 5% of data users. I wouldn't be so sure that they want to force the top 5% of data users into the 3GB plan. They may just be happy booting you off the 3G data network to ease congestion and make it faster for everyone else.

P.S. 5 - 6 Gb of data per month for a flat rate is pretty excessive. Perhaps the calculation for "top 5%" is cumulative rather than monthly, no matter what the phone rep tells you...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Let me play devils advocate here...

What if the top 5% of users are actually and truthfully killing data speeds for everyone else? What would you think then?

I can assure you that AT&T does and should care more about the other 95% of users than the top 5% of data users. I wouldn't be so sure that they want to force the top 5% of data users into the 3GB plan. They may just be happy booting you off the 3G data network to ease congestion and make it faster for everyone else.

P.S. 5 - 6 Gb of data per month for a flat rate is pretty excessive. Perhaps the calculation for "top 5%" is cumulative rather than monthly, no matter what the phone rep tells you...

BS - build your network up then. Not what I signed up for 5 years ago.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Correct, the only ones who get throttled at 2GB are those on a unlimited plan.

Yes. But what I mean is that I feel as though my speeds are being throttled anyway. At about 1.5 gigs or so. I run my speed test every so often in different areas and feel as though. Probably paranoia on my part. But my billing cycle begins in another 5 days. I'll run speed tests again in different areas and see what results I get.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yes. But what I mean is that I feel as though my speeds are being throttled anyway. At about 1.5 gigs or so. I run my speed test every so often in different areas and feel as though. Probably paranoia on my part. But my billing cycle begins in another 5 days. I'll run speed tests again in different areas and see what results I get.

If you were, your phone would feel unusable while using anything requiring data. They make it crawl... I went from 6-8 down to around 14k.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I was at genius bar last night getting iPad swapped out. Guy next to me was there because he got throttled with AT&T and he was thinking Apple could reverse that. Genius tech said all cases he heard are AT&T is throttling everybody at 2GB's so they will switch to 3 just as we're saying. We are now paying $30 for 2GB's.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
BS - build your network up then. Not what I signed up for 5 years ago.

You don't think AT&T is trying to build up their network? They're not just sitting around doing nothing. It's not an easy task in some areas, while super easy in others. In the Houston Zoo, forget about signal. Why can't they install a tower in the area? I am guessing because flying zoo animals like bats might have a problem or some other animal is sensitive. Just a guess with nothing to base it on.

Places like SF have a crap load of red tape. People want it, but most don't want the tower in their backyards and that's a well known fact.

Again, AT&T isn't sitting on their butts doing nothing. I do think 5 gigs for 30 a month should be the de facto standard however...........

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You don't think AT&T is trying to build up their network? They're not just sitting around doing nothing. It's not an easy task in some areas, while super easy in others. In the Houston Zoo, forget about signal. Why can't they install a tower in the area? I am guessing because flying zoo animals like bats might have a problem or some other animal is sensitive. Just a guess with nothing to base it on.

Places like SF have a crap load of red tape. People want it, but most don't want the tower in their backyards and that's a well known fact.

Again, AT&T isn't sitting on their butts doing nothing. I do think 5 gigs for 30 a month should be the de facto standard however...........

I don't think they are doing anything. Their roll out of LTE is painfully slow, and their 3G network sucks. AT&T is just a greedy company that is butt-hurt over the tmobile merger not going through. My .02.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I don't think they are doing anything. Their roll out of LTE is painfully slow, and their 3G network sucks. AT&T is just a greedy company that is butt-hurt over the tmobile merger not going through. My .02.

I think those who think they are doing nothing are just frustrated with their particular area. We have LTE here in Houston, so I don't care about that (especially since there are no LTE Apple devices), but I know they are working on their network here. When traveling from Houston to Austin, I'd drop into EDGE frequently, now it's all 3G for me. 3G coverage has increased traveling from Houston to the Valley. I can't explain your particular area, but I see improvement. Could they do more? All of them could.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I think those who think they are doing nothing are just frustrated with their particular area. We have LTE here in Houston, so I don't care about that (especially since there are no LTE Apple devices), but I know they are working on their network here. When traveling from Houston to Austin, I'd drop into EDGE frequently, now it's all 3G for me. 3G coverage has increased traveling from Houston to the Valley. I can't explain your particular area, but I see improvement. Could they do more? All of them could.

My reply was in response to a question another poster asked of me. And you are wrong. I am not frustrated at all with my service. Never have been, in fact I've probably been the biggest backer for AT&T here in these forums. But don't tell me that in order to make your network better you have to throttle my data. That's the biggest BS line. If you can't see that, don't know what to tell you.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
My reply was in response to a question another poster asked of me. And you are wrong. I am not frustrated at all with my service. Never have been, in fact I've probably been the biggest backer for AT&T here in these forums. But don't tell me that in order to make your network better you have to throttle my data. That's the biggest BS line. If you can't see that, don't know what to tell you.

I didn't think I was replying to you. Oh well. Not a biggie.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
All I know is that I'm ALWAYS on 3G with 4-5 bars and still don't get a data connection in, according to the "map", the best coverage areas around here. :confused:

a693624b-fa5b-a61d.jpg

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I respectfully disagree with this. First, while AT&T did get a late start with their LTE roll-out compared to Verizon, I don't think it has been slow at all. In fact, I would rather they thoroughly test LTE out in each market first and work out the bugs before moving on to the next one and then having to deal with 2 areas not working properly. Also, for me in all areas that I have traveled with AT&T, their 3G network has been nothing short of awesome. I have 3G service in every area that I go except for the morgue at my Hospital, and I just chalked that one up as being a dead zone, lol. :D

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I respectfully disagree with this. First, while AT&T did get a late start with their LTE roll-out compared to Verizon, I don't think it has been slow at all. In fact, I would rather they thoroughly test LTE out in each market first and work out the bugs before moving on to the next one and then having to deal with 2 areas not working properly. Also, for me in all areas that I have traveled with AT&T, their 3G network has been nothing short of awesome. I have 3G service in every area that I go except for the morgue at my Hospital, and I just chalked that one up as being a dead zone, lol. :D

I'm not sure if I started this whole AT&T is doing nothing to improve their network thing but I don't think they are sitting idle. What I am saying is they should not tell me they are going to throttle me with the plan I've had for 5 years now because it will help their network. That is not acceptable to me nor should it be to anyone else in my shoes.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR