AT&T is at it again with bogus data usage message

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
No messages here. Been around 2.5GB's lately. Someone was claiming to get it under 2GB's and throttled but not here.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I think they are sending those messages to scare people off the unlimited plan. I got that message sent to me via email and text. I am almost always on wifi so there is no way I am anywhere near the 2.2 gb's they are claiming. It's bs.

frankcastle123

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
well, i just got the message that i have crossed into the 5% with 5gb of usage. Confused i called At&t and asked about the message at which time they explained to me that the usage is calculated by state therefore is not the top 5% of the whole network but the 5% of the users in your state. Its funny how they do things to scam their way into what they want. They say that too much data usage can congest the network and my awenser to that is how is that my F problem. Its not the consumers fault that their network is not eqquipped to handle what they originally offered you in the first place.

Im moving to sprint and F at&t and their scamming ways and they can also sit and wait for me to pay the early termination fee. If they can adjust the contract to do whatever they want then so can I.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
well, i just got the message that i have crossed into the 5% with 5gb of usage. Confused i called At&t and asked about the message at which time they explained to me that the usage is calculated by state therefore is not the top 5% of the whole network but the 5% of the users in your state. Its funny how they do things to scam their way into what they want. They say that too much data usage can congest the network and my awenser to that is how is that my F problem. Its not the consumers fault that their network is not eqquipped to handle what they originally offered you in the first place.

Im moving to sprint and F at&t and their scamming ways and they can also sit and wait for me to pay the late termination fee. If they can adjust the contract to do whatever they want then so can I.

While I agree with you on a majority of your post I can not agree with going to Sprint. The data speeds alone would kill me.

Last edited:

frankcastle123

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
i can only speak for my area but i can tell you that in south florida sprint is faster than at&t. i ve had an at&t smartphone since the motorola MPX 220 which was the first windows phone around 10 years ago and cingular/at&t are always finding new ways to squeze every penny out of their clients. I cant even remember the last time they came up with something for the benefit of their customers and once they got the exclusivity of the iphone they took advantage of that. Now that the other providers offer the iphone people are slowly but surely migrating away from at&t and with good reason.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
i can only speak for my area but i can tell you that in south florida sprint is faster than at&t. i ve had an at&t smartphone since the motorola MPX 220 which was the first windows phone around 10 years ago and cingular/at&t are always finding new ways to squeze every penny out of their clients. I cant even remember the last time they came up with something for the benefit of their customers and once they got the exclusivity of the iphone they took advantage of that. Now that the other providers offer the iphone people are slowly but surely migrating away from at&t and with good reason.

That must be pretty slow as Sprints top speeds in their best areas are minimal.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Well I just got the message for using 2 gigs! I am on the phone now raising hell. At 2 gigs I am the top 5% of users according to AT&T...

***It is so obvious they want all of us off the unlimited data plan in the worst way. Spoke to 3 people and they all tried to force me onto the 3 gig plan.

Last edited:

kbcherry

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Got the message for the first time this month. I think I must have been around 2GB when I got it. Still over 3.5 at this point in my billing cycle.

corronchos

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I'm regularly using 5 to 7GB per month and I have yet to receive the message and I've never been throttled that I've ever noticed. I'm in S Florida with the Unlimited plan and part of a Family Plan. I've also noticed around midnight on some nights there's some sort of data transfer going on sometimes in the hundreds of megs. All while I'm at home sleeping when my phone should be on wifi.

On another note, my job provided me the Galaxy S 2 on Sprint and I wouldn't wish their horrible data speeds on my worst enemy. Coverage is horrible too with the phone roaming at random. Others I know with Sprint say this happens to them too.

Fraydog

Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
AT&T is even throttling users on LTE. So much for trying to encourage users on a more spectrum efficient network at the same time AT&T is whining about spectrum.

frankcastle123

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Well my wife who has a separate account just got her email of being on the top 5% with 2gb. Now how can she be in the top 5% with 2 gb when I got the email yesterday because I was at 5gb. I have a feeling that since AT&T has not provided what the top 5% avarege use of data numbers are, they are just scamming everyone but just sending emails at random times. This is bull S and it should be investigated by the FCC or whoever keeps an eye on these fucers:mad:

Last edited:

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Well I just got the message for using 2 gigs! I am on the phone now raising hell. At 2 gigs I am the top 5% of users according to AT&T...

***It is so obvious they want all of us off the unlimited data plan in the worst way. Spoke to 3 people and they all tried to force me onto the 3 gig plan.

Oh maaaan! Do they know who you are?! ;) Seriously though, this sucks. :mad: What was the outcome of your conversation? To be continued?

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Oh maaaan! Do they know who you are?! ;) Seriously though, this sucks. :mad: What was the outcome of your conversation? To be continued?

Went nowhere like I actually expected. I spoke to three people and they all tried speaking to me like I was someone who didn't know any better. They couldn't even answer any questions I posed to them but that's how I figured it would go.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I was always under the impression top 5% in usage was relative to your area. In other words, if the top 5% use 5 gigs or more a month, then you don't get the warning at 2. I think it should be 5 gigs a month for $30. Here is my usage the last 12 months:

ScreenShot2012-02-02at103859AM.png

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I was always under the impression top 5% in usage was relative to your area. In other words, if the top 5% use 5 gigs or more a month, then you don't get the warning at 2. I think it should be 5 gigs a month for $30. Here is my usage the last 12 months:

Click to view quoted image

In the email I received it said nothing about location and if that were the case all of these cases of 2 gigs and out would make zero sense. And I might buy that if I was not in one of the largest cities in the country. There is no way 2 gigs in Chicago is the top 5%.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
In the email I received it said nothing about location and if that were the case all of these cases of 2 gigs and out would make zero sense. And I might buy that if I was not in one of the largest cities in the country. There is no way 2 gigs in Chicago is the top 5%.

Until you poll local residents and verify their monthly usage, you don't know. Maybe a thread on here asking chicago people what their use is. Obviously not scientific.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
What cracks me up (as someone pointed out in the comments section of your blog post about this) is that you can buy 3GB for $30 a month. Why then would those of us paying $30 a month, for "unlimited", get throttled at 2GB? Does that mean that the people on the 3GB/$30 plan have slower data speeds between 2GB and 3GB? I think not!
I haven't gotten any messages yet, but it still p*sses me off as an AT&T customer. It's not right!

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Until you poll local residents and verify their monthly usage, you don't know. Maybe a thread on here asking chicago people what their use is. Obviously not scientific.

Then why was I not in this special group last month using 4 gigs? Or the month prior at 5.5 gigs? Again, it makes zero sense. But maybe I will start a thread for the hell of it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro