I am now realizing how little I actually know about this phone and it's ability to travel with me internationally without drilling a hole in my wallet. I have an iPhone 4S with Sprint. In February I will be traveling to Barbados in the Caribbean. I did download the Worldwide Traveling Tips for the iPhone 4S from Sprint but my question is not addressed directly. Here are the details...

I am aware of the "casual international roaming rates" while in Barbados so I will turn off data roaming

I have no plans to use the telephone so I will switch off voice roaming

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) to restrict everything to WiFi I will switch off Cellular Data

My question: with data roaming off, voice roaming off, and cellular data off, can I still connect to the internet via WiFi and use things like Facebook, Google Gmail, etc - without incurring international charges?

I think I should be able to do this but too much information has confused a very simple issue. A little help please and thank you!

Also - do I need to call Sprint prior to travel or is the iPhone 4S already good to go for international use?
    01-21-2012 07:00 PM
    Easiest thing to do is to put the phone in Airplane mode and then just turn on WiFi.
    01-21-2012 11:08 PM
    Thanks for the reply Alli -

I don't normally turn on my phone ever during a leisure trip but I have locations, phone numbers, and other information on my phone that I will need to access - and I will need internet access - but I am not about to pay international data roaming charges.
    01-23-2012 05:22 PM
    You can access all that stuff without the phone part being on. And guarantees you have no charges springing at you.
    01-23-2012 09:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD