AT&T Early Upgrade...

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
So I called a couple of weeks ago and asked AT&T about an early upgrade.. to which they replied that I could only do an early upgrade to an iPhone 4s if I was within one month of my contract renewal. So my early upgrade date is Monday, November 7th.. I was pretty excited these past couple of weeks just waiting for monday to roll around.. Then I called AT&T today to double check that this was still correct because, well I stopped into an AT&T store and the dingleberry salesman said I could only early upgrade if I was within the same MONTH of my contract renewal (which would be December).

I explained to him that I'd spoke with an AT&T rep on the phone 2 weeks ago who told me my early upgrade would be within a month of my contract. The salesman said "well that's between you and them." ??? me and them?? ummm ok dude, i guess you're not one of "them"... So that's why I called AT&T again today.. just to get clarification.

So now comes the good news/bad news. While talking with the AT&T rep on the phone, he confirmed I could do the early upgrade come Monday. but he said I should just wait till my contract is up on Dec 7th because.....ready for this.... at that time they will be offering me a $250 credit on any new phone.. including the 4S! :eek: :eek: :eek: So i could get the 16GB for free, the 32GB for $49, or the 64GB for $149!!

I was soooo looking forward to upgrading on Monday, but I guess I can hold out another month for the $250 credit! Yeah baby...:cool:

Last edited:

zurch

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Def. go with the 64 . I have the 32 and I'm wishing I would have gotten the 64 . There's just so much content available.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
64gb for $150. Definitely the way to go. I wish I had The money to get a 64Gb when I bought mine.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Did the rep quote the prices? Or did he say $250 off and you did the math? I'm only asking because he very well could have meant $250 off the "MSRP"... which would put your actual out of pocket cost in the neighborhood of the going rate for iPhone 4S with a new/renew contract discount.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Did the rep quote the prices? Or did he say $250 off and you did the math? I'm only asking because he very well could have meant $250 off the "MSRP"... which would put your actual out of pocket cost in the neighborhood of the going rate for iPhone 4S with a new/renew contract discount.

I thought that too when I first read it. I was just hoping for the best for the OP

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
No.he quoted me the prices... so the 64GB would normally be $399, but would only be $149 with the discount (399-250=149)... :D

I'm not really surprised the dingleberry sales dude didn't even know this or didn't know about the 1 month early upgrade...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Score!! Get that in writing and his name and go back to him to do the upgrade ! Def get the 64 .. For that price .. Me personally for my phone the 16 is decent I do wish thou I had a 64 on my iPad ... Dang movies and iPad apps eat up space :p

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Score!! Get that in writing and his name and go back to him to do the upgrade ! Def get the 64 .. For that price .. Me personally for my phone the 16 is decent I do wish thou I had a 64 on my iPad ... Dang movies and iPad apps eat up space :p

No doubt.. I think I'm gonna do the 64 just cuz I can..

The bummer is that I have to wait another month..and I thought these past 2 weeks were tough waiting for Monday to come around! Just have to stop in more often to my local AT&T store and play with he 4S..

Anyone have an extra iPhone lying around that I can borrow for a month! :D

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

The bummer is that I have to wait another month..and I thought these past 2 weeks were tough waiting for Monday to come around! Just have to stop in more often to my local AT&T store and play with he 4S..

A month is kinda harsh but get a Itouch or iPad to hold you over haha

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

But a 4 in Craigslist. Use it for a month and sell it. Prices shouldn't really go down in a month. If you find a good deal, you may even be able to make a buck or 2 on it. I live on CL. I've bought and sold probably 50 iPhones on there and make money on them every time.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So now comes the good news/bad news. While talking with the AT&T rep on the phone, he confirmed I could do the early upgrade come Monday. but he said I should just wait till my contract is up on Dec 7th because.....ready for this.... at that time they will be offering me a $250 credit on any new phone.. including the 4S! :eek: :eek: :eek: So i could get the 16GB for free, the 32GB for $49, or the 64GB for $149!!

I was soooo looking forward to upgrading on Monday, but I guess I can hold out another month for the $250 credit! Yeah baby...:cool:

I could be wrong but I think what the rep meant was that you would not have to pay the $250 higher than the subsidized cost that early upgrade customers pay if you wait till you are eligible for a full upgrade. I don't think AT&T is going to knock off $250 off the already subsidized cost of the iPhone 4S.
TiPb did a write up of the early adopter iPhone prices here: http://www.tipb.com/2011/10/04/att-allowing-upgrade-prices-early-iphone-4-adopters/

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site

Just an FYI, youre not getting that pricing. An early upgrade to an apple device adds $250 onto the normal upgrade pricing. $199+$250=$449 for an early upgrade. The rep incorrectly quoted you if indeed he quoted you the prices stated. The "credit" he quoted brings the price to new customer pricing, reguardless of his misunderstanding of the pricing structure.

Even with notes of the incorrect prcing those prices WILL NOT be honored. AT&T CANNOT ADJUST IPHONE PRICING OR ISSUE CREDITS FOR IPHONE PURCHASES. If a rep does this they are fired.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Just an FYI, youre not getting that pricing. An early upgrade to an apple device adds $250 onto the normal upgrade pricing. $199+$250=$449 for an early upgrade. The rep incorrectly quoted you if indeed he quoted you the prices stated. The "credit" he quoted brings the price to new customer pricing, reguardless of his misunderstanding of the pricing structure.

Even with notes of the incorrect prcing those prices WILL NOT be honored. AT&T CANNOT ADJUST IPHONE PRICING OR ISSUE CREDITS FOR IPHONE PURCHASES. If a rep does this they are fired.

ok...so based on what you said...i called ATT back and this time got a totally different answer. not only did they say that they don't offer rebates or credits on the iphone, but that i cant do an early upgrade until December 1st...otherwise i"d pay the early upgrade price! this after 2 different reps told me i could upgrade within a month of my contract...:mad:

so now they have opened a case to see if they can waive the early upgrade fees and allow me to upgrade sooner than Dec 7th...:rolleyes:

so we'll see what they say.... this does not make me happy..

Last edited:

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
ok...so based on what you said...i called ATT back and this time got a totally different answer. not only did they say that they don't offer rebates or credits on the iphone, but that i cant do an early upgrade until December 1st...otherwise i"d pay the early upgrade price! this after 2 different reps told me i could upgrade within a month of my contract...:mad:

so now they have opened a case to see if they can waive the early upgrade fees and allow me to upgrade sooner than Dec 7th...:rolleyes:

so we'll see what they say.... this does not make me happy..
I was going to tell you the same if I would have saw this thread earlier.

I paid $250 extra for an iPhone 4S on two of my lines. Opened a 3rd to get the discount.

The positive about the early upgrade is that I could have upgraded a few months ago and can still pay $250 extra to get the early upgrade, right after the previous upgrade on the same line.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
well the crappy thing is is that I was told my two different AT&T reps that I could upgrade, at the subsidized prices, one month prior to my contact expiration. I specifically asked if this applied to the 4S and was told yes...then today I was told by to other reps that I could not upgrade until my contact expiration (Dec 7th) w/o paying the early upgrade fee ($250)...

So after talking with the AT&T folks today, they put in a case file to have a manager review to see if they could overide the early upgrade fee and get me a phone before Dec 7th.. We'll see...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2