AT&T Early Upgrade...

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Technically, your upgrade date is supposed to be before your contract end date. Last I remember it being was 21 months into your 24 month contract and 11 months into your 12 month contract.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If your with in a month of contract being up they should let you up grade if not you could easy get a new carrier in a month and get the cheaper pricing that wouldn't be smart on there part to lose a customer for something so simple ... I've seen Verizon push upgrades no problem

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Technically, your upgrade date is supposed to be before your contract end date. Last I remember it being was 21 months into your 24 month contract and 11 months into your 12 month contract.

With AT&T it used to be 18 months into a 2 year contract, but they may have changed it. I haven't signed a contract in years so I'm not up on all the policies anymore.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If your with in a month of contract being up they should let you up grade if not you could easy get a new carrier in a month and get the cheaper pricing that wouldn't be smart on there part to lose a customer for something so simple ... I've seen Verizon push upgrades no problem

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Back when I had Verizon they never allowed upgrades until you were 2 months from the end of your contract end date. From what my friends and coworkers who have Verizon have said this hasn't changed. One of my Coworkers with the Thunderbolt wanted to get the iPhone 4S, but Verizon told him he had to wait one more month. I guess like all carriers, it all comes down to who you talk to.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
With AT&T it used to be 18 months into a 2 year contract, but they may have changed it. I haven't signed a contract in years so I'm not up on all the policies anymore.

AT&T is 21 months into a 2 year contract. As far as I know, it's ALWAYS been that way. But I don't concern myself with that - I have 5 lines on a family plan, pay > $250 per month... so I get my line upgraded every year.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
AT&T is 21 months into a 2 year contract. As far as I know, it's ALWAYS been that way. But I don't concern myself with that - I have 5 lines on a family plan, pay > $250 per month... so I get my line upgraded every year.
No it WASN'T always that way with AT&T. Up until they started their new upgrade program, customers could upgrade after 18 months. Back when I was signing contracts I always upgraded at 18 months with AT&T.

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
well the crappy thing is is that I was told my two different AT&T reps that I could upgrade, at the subsidized prices, one month prior to my contact expiration. I specifically asked if this applied to the 4S and was told yes...then today I was told by to other reps that I could not upgrade until my contact expiration (Dec 7th) w/o paying the early upgrade fee ($250)...

So after talking with the AT&T folks today, they put in a case file to have a manager review to see if they could overide the early upgrade fee and get me a phone before Dec 7th.. We'll see...

Im not trying to be mean.
However, I find it a bit ridiculous that you are having these people jump through all these hoops just because you can't wait 1 more month.

Sent from my iPhone communication device using Tapatalk

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Im not trying to be mean.
However, I find it a bit ridiculous that you are having these people jump through all these hoops just because you can't wait 1 more month.

who's making whom jump through hoops? the way I see it AT&T is making me jump through hoops because their sales reps (by dialing 611) either 1) don't have the correct information; 2) they dont know their own rules, or 3) they keep changing their rules w/o letting their sales reps know.

Let me ask you this...if you were told you'd be able to upgrade on a certain date, then come to find out on that date you wouldn't be able to upgrade, would you find that ridiculous?

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Yeah it has always been 21/24, 11/12 when I was a manager for them from 2005-2009 and even a a bit before that. I know certain customers who had a certain MRC (monthly recurring charge) per line would get it every 18 months (year and half) or if you had a $99+ MRC, you'd get an upgrade every 12 months. I would get mine every 12 months.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

i think if we're dealing with another phone than the iPhone, that might apply.. I just get the feeling that APPL is the one who is calling the "early upgrade" shots for AT&T... but AT&T has the authorization to over-ride the early upgrade date, so I dont know for sure.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it has always been 21/24, 11/12 when I was a manager for them from 2005-2009 and even a a bit before that. I know certain customers who had a certain MRC (monthly recurring charge) per line would get it every 18 months (year and half) or if you had a $99+ MRC, you'd get an upgrade every 12 months. I would get mine every 12 months.

I don't know what a MRC is, but back when I was upgrading every 18 months my bill was always over $100/month. Don't know if this helped in my case or not. Eventually I wasn't allowed to upgrade every 18 months and that is when I stopped signing a contract. Verizon had a really good deal going with their NE2 plan but eventually they took less off and now I don't know if they even offer it or not.

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
who's making whom jump through hoops? the way I see it AT&T is making me jump through hoops because their sales reps (by dialing 611) either 1) don't have the correct information; 2) they dont know their own rules, or 3) they keep changing their rules w/o letting their sales reps know.

Let me ask you this...if you were told you'd be able to upgrade on a certain date, then come to find out on that date you wouldn't be able to upgrade, would you find that ridiculous?

I would just chalk it up as a loss. I would consider that more than likely the reps got their lines crossed some where and just wait it out another month.

You're making this a bigger deal than it needs to be. I ge the point that it's a HUGE let down, but bro sometimes that happens in life and you gotta roll with the punches.

Be thankful that your only being letdown about an early upgrade on an iPhone and not something really important in life!

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I would just chalk it up as a loss. I would consider that more than likely the reps got their lines crossed some where and just wait it out another month.

You're making this a bigger deal than it needs to be. I ge the point that it's a HUGE let down, but bro sometimes that happens in life and you gotta roll with the punches.

Be thankful that your only being letdown about an early upgrade on an iPhone and not something really important in life!

All true for sure...but I'm just super excited about this phone and getting rid of my blackberry..so i'm letting the excitement of a new phone get the better of me.. guess it will make it all that much better once I finally DO get the phone...:)

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Just to clear the air. A lot of reps have a misunderstanding of upgrade policies.

YOU CAN UPGRADE ON ANY DAY DURING YOUR UPGRADE MONTH. IF YOU ARE ELIGABLE ON THE 30TH, YOU CAN UPGRADE ON THE 1ST. IF YOU ARE ELIGABLE ON THE 3RD, YOU CAN UPGRADE ON THE 1ST. ITS NOT ONE MONTH BEFORE, IT'S ANY DAY DURING YOUR UPGRADE MONTH.

Reactions: Alli

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Just to clear the air. A lot of reps have a misunderstanding of upgrade policies.

YOU CAN UPGRADE ON ANY DAY DURING YOUR UPGRADE MONTH. IF YOU ARE ELIGABLE ON THE 30TH, YOU CAN UPGRADE ON THE 1ST. IF YOU ARE ELIGABLE ON THE 3RD, YOU CAN UPGRADE ON THE 1ST. ITS NOT ONE MONTH BEFORE, IT'S ANY DAY DURING YOUR UPGRADE MONTH.

Yeah.. no doubt.

Well I contacted AT&T this past weekend and voiced my frustration with the different reps and the inconsistent information they were giving me and they decided to pull a case for me and send it up the review team..well today I was approved for an early upgrade!! Yeah baby..

Ordered the 32GB in Black :D

So we'll see just how long it'll take to get here. The AT&T rep, Jennifer was a sweetheart (who is from Green Bay) and helped out a lot. She even called the nearest APPL store for me to see if their system (APPL) would be able to see that I was approved for an early upgrade- just so I could perhaps get my phone a little sooner (they couldn't).. So, I orderd my phone through her and am now in the waiting game! But I'm super stoked that it's ORDERED!!!

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah.. no doubt.

Well I contacted AT&T this past weekend and voiced my frustration with the different reps and the inconsistent information they were giving me and they decided to pull a case for me and send it up the review team..well today I was approved for an early upgrade!! Yeah baby..

Ordered the 32GB in Black :D

So we'll see just how long it'll take to get here. The AT&T rep, Jennifer was a sweetheart (who is from Green Bay) and helped out a lot. She even called the nearest APPL store for me to see if their system (APPL) would be able to see that I was approved for an early upgrade- just so I could perhaps get my phone a little sooner (they couldn't).. So, I orderd my phone through her and am now in the waiting game! But I'm super stoked that it's ORDERED!!!

Happy for you! Now you can shut up!!! Lol j/k :D

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
You can always check by dialing *NEW# or *639#, or online.

I got my 4 in July last year. I just got a text stating that I would have to pay $250 over the list price to upgrade, so $449 for 16 GB, plus $18. I become eligible for the full discount on March 6. That's 20 months.

Fortunately, I pre-ordered a 4S on the first day with a new contract, and an upgrade "may" be available May 8, 2013. That's 19 months.

I pay $40/month for the 4S with unlimited data, $25/month for the 4 with 200GB, and $10/month for a 3GS with no data.