fees on my latest ATT bill

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I have been with ATT for about 2 years. I was eligible for an upgrade so I took advantage of this with the 4s. I did the same for my wifes phone.

When I signed up, I kept everything the same.

I get my bill today and I am charged an $18 upgrade charge on both lines.

I am also being charged a $15 4S unlimited data charge and a $30 4S unlimited data charge on each line.

For the past two years, I have only been charged $30 unlimited data charge.

Anyone else notice fraudulent charges on their bill this month?

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
My bill was weird, too. It went from ~$89 for one line, unlimited data, unlimited text, 400 minutes to $115. I'm hoping it goes back down with the next bill. I saw the $18 upgrade fee, then credits for what I didn't use of that billing cycle with the old phone, plus charges for the remainder of the cycle with the new phone. There was some $15 federal BS something or other fee I didn't understand, too.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
AT&T (and most/all other carriers) have always charged an $18 (or similar) "upgrade" fee for equipment upgrades. It's is ostensibly used to cover the cost of the "paperwork" for setting up the new equipment. My employee discount used to get those fees waived, but not for the past couple of years.

BTW, I have never understood those fees for a GSM carrier - everything is done by the system - swap the SIM and let the system gather the new info (IEMI, etc). At least with a CDMA carrier, the rep actually has to do something.

I have no clue what the other "fees" are.

iFizzgig

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
I have been with ATT for about 2 years. I was eligible for an upgrade so I took advantage of this with the 4s. I did the same for my wifes phone.

I am also being charged a $15 4S unlimited data charge and a $30 4S unlimited data charge on each line.

I have the same fees, except that there is also a line to adjust for $15. Since you probably activate your phone right on the 14th, the month was half over. When you switched phones, they upgraded your data plan from unlimited data to iPhone 4S unlimited data. In doing so, they probably refunded half the month of your original data plan and charged you for that half month for the iPhone 4S data plan. That would be from 10/14-10/28. The additional $30 data plan is for 10/29-11/28.

If you are not seeing that $15 adjustment, I suggest you call AT&T and work it out with them. I seriously doubt that there is any fraud involved.

- fizz

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...the $18 is always charged by AT&T for upgrades. I think it is terrible that they do this because they still get money from me monthly!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
That sounds like proration all carriers do this when you change a plan or feature ... Although on my Verizon I don't get charged a fee for upgrade an of I dot change my plan or anything there is no proration ... Bit mine was simple a smart phone to a smart phone

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I called this morning.

They waived the $18 fee for each line. I am actually surprised to see this. I purchased from Apple, I set up the phone myself, ATT didnt have to do anything, and they still tried to charge an upgrade fee????? What is the point of a contract, if you are charged a fee to upgrade?

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I bought the 4S at full price because i dont want to renew my contract, I wonder if they will charge me the 18 dollars activation fee..

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site

its because you did it in the middle of the month for the 15 data charge its prorated it will only be 30 next month

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh