Data Usage and Stupid 2GB Limit

chris3896

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I just switched back to AT&T from Verizon and in the process gave up my unlimited data on both. It's frustrating because it's been 6 days into my cycle and I have already used 860 mb. Not to mention I am on Wifi a good portion of the day and yet I still use a lot of interwebs. Has anyone noticed a higher than normal amount of data being registered with the iPhone 4S?

I hate pitching to customers that "95% of customers do not come close to the 2GB limit" because i believe it to be completely false. I never paid attention to it before because I was on unlimited and now I have been brought back to earth. Where can we petition the carriers to either increase the limit or make changes? With Facebook and all of the other data services and the fact that minutes and texting don't really cost the carrier anything, we are paying a boatload to basically carry a small computer in our pockets with an extreme data limit. The 200 mb option is a joke for anyone that is even considering a smartphone.

Off my soapbox now. And yes I work for Best Buy Mobile and deal with this limit issue everyday.

Reactions: Rpterz

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm fortunate enough to be on mine at work at least 6 hrs a day, 3G. I have wifi at home. I have yet to go over the 2GB, but I don't listen to Pandora or watch YouTube while not connected to wifi. I only surf the web. 200MB is a joke.

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I agree, I think it?s nuts to have data capped plans. I do understand the networks have to control us from running down their systems, but I hate the capped plans. I am on a 4GB tethering plan with At&t and I will say that I haven?t reach my max monthly yet. I?m on 3G from 8-5 at work and have WiFi at home. I use a lot of data, I have ESPN radio on at my desk for 80% of the day at work. The streaming is the most data consuming. Visiting Facebook, and other websites aren?t that damaging. I normally use anywhere from 2.5GB to 3GB a month, and again that?s listening to ESPN radio everyday (Mon-Fri) at work. I would be willing to pay $40-$50 a month for a unlimited monthly plan. I think most people probably would too. The money At&t would make off that could afford them to be able to keep up with the high data usage servers. My personal belief why At&t phased out unlimited was because of people tethering their phones without permission. I miss my unlimited and the only reason why I got rid of it was because I wanted to tether my iPad to it and I tried to abide by At&t?s rules of not stealing data from them by tethering it on my unlimited plan. Unlimited would be great and maybe they will offer it again, who knows.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
My 4S isn't using any more data. I have only gone over 2GB's once and I have unlimited. I could of easily avoided that 2GB's but I wasnt worried about it. And I'm I power user. You stream a lot?

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm fortunate enough to be on mine at work at least 6 hrs a day, 3G. I have wifi at home. I have yet to go over the 2GB, but I don't listen to Pandora or watch YouTube while not connected to wifi. I only surf the web. 200MB is a joke.

Same here. I don't get go near 1GB, but way over 200MB. I wait until I'm on wifi to use things such as Pandora and YouTube..

ducky

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I consumed around 8 gigs a month when I had Netflix. Thankfully unlimited data plan still.

I was told awhile back by AT&T that if you had unlimited they could reinstate it, but not offer a new one. Maybe since you left and came back that option went away.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I am ten days into my cycle and I have used 86 MB of data. I'm on wifi all the time, either at work or at home. I will never hit the cap.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Uh, what in the hell do you do on your phone all day that you have used that much in 6 days even with Wifi?! Are you streaming or something?

I don't even exceed 1Gb in a month and I never have used WIFI ever.

nycfly

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
i have 1 week left on my special 150MB data plan from verizon and im at 104mb and im ALWAYS im wifi. im really worried ill have to upgrade to the 2gb plan. i always have wifi available and would prefer the 15$ a month price. im going to see how this week goes, ill be spending maybe 3 days without wifi and im nervous ill hit it

chris3896

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
No idea. I was on wifi every time I downloaded anything. I streamed pandora for a bit and tried out Netflix but I doubt for that much data. I'm using ATTs app to track it so maybe it's inaccurate?

Priyal27

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Thank god i had the unlimited plan before they started capping, i got to keep it. Although i doubt ill go anywhere near 2GB its better to be on the safe side, i only pay 27 a month for unlimited which is only 2 dollars more than the 2GB plan.

Rocktapus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
i just signed up with sprint on day one of 4S...and have barely hit 700MB...

i check youtube frequently on it too...

i would've thought my data usage would've been higher...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I tether constantly with mine on the road and in the office...i also use it on the phone a lot out an about on weekends and what not, no more or less than with my 3GS or 4, and i haven't noticed any change in data usage with the 4S.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
No idea. I was on wifi every time I downloaded anything. I streamed pandora for a bit and tried out Netflix but I doubt for that much data. I'm using ATTs app to track it so maybe it's inaccurate?

If you streamed pandora and netflix without wifi you would be shocked how much it uses my bro in law don't have wifi ( crazy I know) but he on unlimited and uses Netflix like almost nightly ( don't have cable ) I almost had a cow I looked at his usage and it was over 14 gig in one billing cycle

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

phinx404

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
im on wifi at home and friends... rest of the time im data and i do 600-900mb a month. not to mention i only have 1gb of data on Telus.

BigLan

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Thank god i had the unlimited plan before they started capping, i got to keep it. Although i doubt ill go anywhere near 2GB its better to be on the safe side, i only pay 27 a month for unlimited which is only 2 dollars more than the 2GB plan.

I'm with you, being grandfathered into this unlimited data plan was the best thing AT&T could do for me when I updated to the iPhone 4S. I am on the road a lot so I use a lot of data. Unlike those who are using Wi-Fi, I can only use the 3G data throughout the day. Because I listen to Pandora, Podcasts, and other Internet radio stations it's very easy for me to go over 4 GB and sometimes getting closer to 8 GB within one month, if I throw Netflix into the mix.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I got lucky and my 2gb data plan from verizon got upgraded for free to the unlimited data plan. so now I don't even worry about my usage

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Just switched from BB to iPhone and am a little worried about data usage. I have a 1G plan. Never came anywhere near 1G with BB but don't know if I will with iPhone because it's so much faster so I'll be using apps more and browsing. However, I don't stream so I'm hoping it won't be a problem. I can't imagine going over 2G. I'm so sorry that you're capped. Good luck and hope you can purchase extra data plans or something.

zeejohn

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been with AT&T for a long time and have been grandfathered in when I got the iPhone 4 to keep my unlimited data plan.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73