Data Usage and Stupid 2GB Limit

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, the easiest solution is switch to Sprint. You don't need to petition the carriers to change, just change yourself. I have no idea how much data I use, because I don't care. I probably don't use as much as the top data hogs, but I would hate to have to check my data usage before streaming a Reno Bighorns game on my iPhone 4S.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
i think i am one of the few sprint users that gets decent coverage. i don't have slow data speeds for some reason. i haven't been on att or verizon, and have only experienced t-mobile's EDGE [with a iphone 3g]...but youtube videos load almost as fast as my home wifi connection.

...i'm just kinda scared for my sister who just got back from college to a new phone....i feel like when she goes back, she will have horrible coverage.

Yeah, and you're the only one who gets great customer service with Sprint too! I get sick of reading and hearing people dump on Sprint. Everyone I know who has Sprint has excellent coverage, speed, and customer service (and JD Power agrees). It seems that they got some bad PR a decade ago, and that's what people use to justify not feeling stupid for paying Verizon more money for less service.

I have the misfortune of working in Verizon territory, so I get to experience Verizon disservice daily, but I get to come home to excellent Sprint service each night. For hours each day, the Verizon data service disappears, and when it is there, it is running at a snail's pace. SMS works, but often with a delay of at least an hour.

I guess, knowing that, I wouldn't worry so much about Verizon data caps, since their network speed would preclude downloading much data at all.

cacb90

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
The problem with Sprint is that it is really slow. I switched to AT&T from Sprint and I am very satisfied with its speed data so far. BTW, the bill is almost the same than Sprint's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The problem with Sprint is that it is really slow. I switched to AT&T from Sprint and I am very satisfied with its speed data so far. BTW, the bill is almost the same than Sprint's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife initially purchased her 4S from Sprint and almost immediately began complaining of slow data speeds in comparison to my 4S via Verizon and our daughter's iPhone 4 via AT&T. After about a week, she was so fed up to where she returned the device to Sprint and purchased another one via AT&T and now she's as happy as can be.

Just Me, D

neek87

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of Sprint (I use an iphone 4s), my contract with AT&T ended and I didn't renew. Switched over to Sprint because of the unlimited data but didn't stay with them for longer than three days because of the unbelievably slow data speeds. Coming from AT&T and going to Sprint, the speed differences are definitely noticeable. I cancelled with Sprint immediately and signed a new contract with Verizon. Speeds are not as fast as with AT&T but it's comparable and the voice coverage is amazing. Really happy with Verizon.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I, too, went back to Sprint. Their service and data speeds are just fine for me. I haven't had the slow data problems I've been reading on several forums.

Reactions: jkeitz

neek87

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
It probably has something to do with location then. I'm south of Houston and data was terribly slow. Maybe it was better in Houston.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, and you're the only one who gets great customer service with Sprint too! I get sick of reading and hearing people dump on Sprint. Everyone I know who has Sprint has excellent coverage, speed, and customer service (and JD Power agrees). It seems that they got some bad PR a decade ago, and that's what people use to justify not feeling stupid for paying Verizon more money for less service.

I have the misfortune of working in Verizon territory, so I get to experience Verizon disservice daily, but I get to come home to excellent Sprint service each night. For hours each day, the Verizon data service disappears, and when it is there, it is running at a snail's pace. SMS works, but often with a delay of at least an hour.

I guess, knowing that, I wouldn't worry so much about Verizon data caps, since their network speed would preclude downloading much data at all.

Did you actually read the JD Power report? Because they would not agree with anything in your post.....

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
When not throttled, I get 5 or 6 Mbps downloads on AT&T here in San Francisco. What does Sprint get? Of course, I only get 120 kbps when throttled. However, I just installed Onavo, so maybe I can keep my usage under 2 GB this month, or at least not get throttled as quickly.

I seem to remember a year or two ago only using about 1 GB a month, so I don't know if it's that I'm doing more with the phone, or if it's stuff like iCloud and Siri that are using more data.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
When not throttled, I get 5 or 6 Mbps downloads on AT&T here in San Francisco. What does Sprint get? Of course, I only get 120 kbps when throttled. However, I just installed Onavo, so maybe I can keep my usage under 2 GB this month, or at least not get throttled as quickly.

I seem to remember a year or two ago only using about 1 GB a month, so I don't know if it's that I'm doing more with the phone, or if it's stuff like iCloud and Siri that are using more data.

Experiencing that type of throughput chances are you are doing more....

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
... I get sick of reading and hearing people dump on Sprint. Everyone I know who has Sprint has excellent coverage...

I have the misfortune of working in Verizon territory, so I get to experience Verizon disservice daily, but I get to come home to excellent Sprint service each night.

Ahem.. this just does not sound like "excellent coverage" to me.. sounds like sucky coverage to me... only have excellent coverage at home only sounds great.. :rolleyes: Way to go Sprint!!!

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Ahem.. this just does not sound like "excellent coverage" to me.. sounds like sucky coverage to me... only have excellent coverage at home only sounds great.. :rolleyes: Way to go Sprint!!!

Not what I said. Sprint has excellent coverage everywhere I go, except the tiny rural town where I work. There, they only have Verizon, and it works less often than it does not. Now, you may proceed to construct your straw man and refute it... :rolleyes:

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.467883,-118.812763

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW