Data Usage and Stupid 2GB Limit

Rocktapus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
i think i am one of the few sprint users that gets decent coverage. i don't have slow data speeds for some reason. i haven't been on att or verizon, and have only experienced t-mobile's EDGE [with a iphone 3g]...but youtube videos load almost as fast as my home wifi connection.

...i'm just kinda scared for my sister who just got back from college to a new phone....i feel like when she goes back, she will have horrible coverage.

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I've never gone over 2gb in the 4 year I've been using a smart phone and in the first 3 1/2 weeks of using this one I've only used about 800mb and this is the most I've ever used. A lot of that has been getting the phone set up and getting used to it and what it can do. I'm planning on really using this one a lot more than my Droid.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I just switched back to AT&T from Verizon and in the process gave up my unlimited data on both. It's frustrating because it's been 6 days into my cycle and I have already used 860 mb. Not to mention I am on Wifi a good portion of the day and yet I still use a lot of interwebs. Has anyone noticed a higher than normal amount of data being registered with the iPhone 4S?
Nope. 15 days, 320MB. I rarely use WiFi. Looking back, I used far more data with my Droid. Everyone's usage varies.

Where can we petition the carriers to either increase the limit or make changes?
You can petition them but it's money that talks. People would need to ditch the carriers with caps but there are too many that are happy to pay at&t and Verizon.

Last edited:

chris3896

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Actually Verizon is about to run a promo where they are doubling your data cap to 4GB. Not sure about stipulations. Maybe this will be a trend and it will stick haha

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Actually Verizon is about to run a promo where they are doubling your data cap to 4GB. Not sure about stipulations. Maybe this will be a trend and it will stick haha

Unfortunately it looks like this new promo is only for Verizon's LTE devices. Since the iPhone 4 and 4S aren't LTE capable customers who have them won't be able to take advantage of this new double data plan promo. Verizon aims at AT&T, doubles LTE data caps

Last edited:

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
something must be wrong... i am on Wifi most of the time.. and stream TONS of netflix, pandora, web.. etc
I am just over 100mb and I got it on launch day.

wait.. even less!! i just checked on vzw - and it says 80MB lol...

kilroy2730

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
One of the reasons I was hesitant to leave T-Mobile when I got my iPhone 4S was because I had an unlimited everything plan, including data, and UMA calling. Sprint doesn't work in my area and none of the other carriers even offer an unlimited data plan which I would gladly pay for. While I had unlimited data on T-Mobile for my BlackBerry (which I never used for browsing anyway since I have an iPad) I also lugged around a separate Verizon mifi hotspot device which cost me almost $60 per month for a measly 5 GB data. (I work on location a lot and most of the time there is no wifi available for my macbook, iPad, etc.)

Right now, Verizon offers their *largest* data plan of 8 GB for around $80 (I think personal hotspot is an additional cost) and AT&T offers their 4 GB for $45 but includes personal hotspot which shares your phone's data usage.

So if they ever do bring back an unlimited data plan, it would probably be really expensive.

That's why I've been so reluctance to leave T-Mobile - unlimited data (plus really good text message rates, etc.)!

gregorylkelly

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I used to be on a BlackBerry and never really went over 180mbs per month. My wife who doesn't use her iPhone 4 as much as I used my BB averaged about 800mbs per month. Now that I've been on the 4S for about 6 days, I'm already up to 350mbs. I don't know how the 4S compares to the 4 yet, but I know it sucks a TON more data then my BlackBerry did.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I used to be on a BlackBerry and never really went over 180mbs per month. My wife who doesn't use her iPhone 4 as much as I used my BB averaged about 800mbs per month. Now that I've been on the 4S for about 6 days, I'm already up to 350mbs. I don't know how the 4S compares to the 4 yet, but I know it sucks a TON more data then my BlackBerry did.

I believe this is because data on the BB is compressed through RIM servers.

gregorylkelly

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I believe this is because data on the BB is compressed through RIM servers.

It definitely is because of that. It's one of the things RIM makes sure carriers know. It's a big selling point for them to the carriers. I actually think it's why Android wasn't big on AT&T while the iPhone was locked in there. The iPhone was bogging down the AT&T network and they were happy selling BBs to non iPhone users to help the network.

StefR

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
2GB may last you now, but I guarantee it won't get you very far in the future. Eventually all media is going to be digital and that's going to take data. There's going to be things you can do with your mobile device that we can't even imagine right now. The wireless company's were smart -- they didn't let their customers get used to having unlimited data the way the home broadband companies did. They implemented tiered data plans as soon as they could because once customers get used to something, and you take it away, there's an uproar and an eventual PR nightmare. See Netflix. Wireless companies weren't going to let everyone get comfortable with not having to watch how much they use their brand new shiny toy. They are a business and they are in the business of making money. There's tons more money in charging their customers to only use their devices "this" much than there is in letting them do whatever they want with it and not have to worry about how they use their mobile device. You think apps and downloads are always going to stay the same size as they are now? Not a chance. You're already seeing apps that are increasing exponentially in size. Not to mention things like iCloud and other features. Those take data. In 5 years, 2GB is going to be used up like THAT, even if you try and always use your mobile device only on WiFi (which defeats the purpose of a mobile device). Your buddy is going to send you an HD video of something he saw while you're at the grocery store and that's going to take up data even if you don't want it to.

Imagine if in the early days of home broadband, they did what the wireless companies are doing now in the infant stages of the technology and they introduced a tiered plan where you could save, say $10 a month by agreeing to a 50GB a month data package. You look at your usage for previous months and say, "Hey, I don't use that much. I'll give up unlimited to save $10 a month (just like people did with giving up unlimited wireless data recently) and it was probably worth it at first. But then technology changed. Now there's streaming media 24/7, Netflix, Hulu, online gaming, WiFi where many devices are using the same connection, you have PS3 and XBOX demos that take more than 1GB to download, not to mention full games are now being downloaded. All of a sudden 50GB isn't getting you very far and you're constantly having to watch what you do on the internet and forced to either pay a higher price for a higher tiered package, which funnily enough, costs you more than what the unlimited data package you gave up to save money would have cost you. Or worse, you just don't use the internet until your next billing cycle.

2GB of data may last you now on your smartphone and tablet and other mobile device, but in the future when you're able to stream blu-ray quality video and audio, download every single thing imaginable to your mobile device and many other technological advancements that we can't even imagine yet, 2GB isn't going to get you very far and you're basically going to barely be able to use your device unless you're on WiFi. You're out and about and see that your favorite team is about to win a big game, but you can't watch it on an app you pay a monthly fee to watch all their games on because you're not on WiFi and you're really close to going over your data limit and still have 11 days until your next billing cycle. You'll just have to follow a Play by Play. Your little brother just welcomed his first child into the world and he wants to send you a video of the new baby but you have to tell him to not send it because you're not on WiFi and 2090P HD video will put you over your data limit. Or, you can just pay an even larger fee to upgrade to a higher tiered plan. A higher fee than the $5 a month you saved when you got rid of your unlimited data plan. Maybe in a few years the wireless companies will be nice and offer a higher tiered plan for the same price as the paltry 2GB since technology is changing, but I do not see that happening. Prices will be higher. Way higher than what it cost to have unlimited data initially.

For those of you who still have unlimited data, hold onto it for as long as you can because before you know it, data is going to be at a premium, and there's nothing worse than always having to monitor how much you use your favorite toy.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Uh, what in the hell do you do on your phone all day that you have used that much in 6 days even with Wifi?! Are you streaming or something?

I don't even exceed 1Gb in a month and I never have used WIFI ever.

I stream 9+ hours a day, some on wifi, some not. Depends on where I am in the hospital. I use about 4GB a month with my BB so I expect it to be more now that I've got my iPhone. Not to mention YouTube at the gym, Sirius at home and YouTube at home. I use a lot of data.

If you streamed pandora and netflix without wifi you would be shocked how much it uses my bro in law don't have wifi ( crazy I know)

I don't even have Internet at home. Guess I need to be drug out behind the woodshed and shot, huh? :eek:

Thegreatone3

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Currently on AT&T 2 gb plan with iPhone 4. Will be switching to Verizon under their 4 gb for the price of 2 gb promo (probably getting a $99 Razr) this weekend. Whenever an LTE iPhone comes out on Verizon, I'll switch back to iPhone and retain my 4 gb. At least that's the plan. :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal